Used 2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Very happy @ 200,000
By in_a_hurry

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've read the recent reviews and it appears most folks are pretty miffed with their XC-90's. I couldn't be happier with mine. A couple car pool trips shy of 200,000 miles (I bought it new) and no major issues - never a tranny, motor, A/C or electrical problem. I get about 45,000 miles on tires - not great but a willing compromise knowing I'm driving a stout porker that's as safe as anything on the road. I have an honest, reliable mechanic who has taken care of a couple cars for me - a bonus. Other than scheduled maintenance items, there hasn't been much to repair on the car that would not be expected, given the mileage. Ball joints and motor mounts are the only things that come to mind

Favorite Features

Safe, sturdy and a pleasure to drive - my wife and daughter enjoy driving it so it appeals to a broad range of tastes and driving styles. Road feel and weight of the vehicle inspire confidence. Plenty of space and options with folding 3rd row seats. The seats are very comfortable and supportive. While not a powerful car, the turbo charged motor has plenty of juice to keep you safe when merging, passing, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof drain plugs shrink over time, resulting in water intrusion if not resolved promptly. Plugs need to be pulled and cut/slit to open them back up - a VERY simple fix but one that needs to be done promptly. Headlamps fog badly over time - reducing visibility until polished. Stereo system is underwhelming. Turning radius is unusually wide - the complete opposite of early Volvos (240, et. al).

Volvo Owner No More!
By Edashcash

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When I first got the vehicle I loved it, but after having it for 2 + years, it's not reliable..something is always wrong with it..had so much trouble with the Axles where it would shake rigourously 60-70 mph..the A/C stops blowing out consistently after 20 min..and when it's on its too darn cold! The temp. gauge doesn't work so it's either freezing or hot.

Favorite Features

The Bold Exterior Look

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Meets High Expectations
By Doug

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The vehicle continues to look and ride like new after four years. 2.5T cruises great at 60-80 mph. Wear on tires and brakes is more than we had anticipated. Great on long trips. City mileage is a modest disappointment.

Favorite Features

Ride on highway.

Suggested Improvements

Improve city mileage. Reduce size of the center console.

15 + Years A Volvo Owner - No More !!
By Stephen J. Lalor

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Was true Volvo believer here for over 15 years but no more! I have always loved this brand and believed in but the XC 90 is the most unreliable, high maintenance auto I have ever owned. 60 k miles now, and am in need of (4th set of 4 tires)and front-end ball joints; heating and air conditioning system has never worked correctly (and they can't figure it out), passenger side front window has broken at least 4 times; wind shield wiper blades fly off car.... shall I continue? I just purchased a different brand SUV even though I have 3 months to go on my Volvo-KLUNKER lease! 2007 Buyers - beware and consider alternative, less expensive SUVs unless you enjoy visiting dealer service facilities.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty coverage.

Safety with style
By comp

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Outstanding daily driver. Easy to navigate in city traffic. Lot's of power when needed. Very comfortable on long trips. Excellent gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Comfort and gadgets!

Suggested Improvements

More direct driver connection with engine. Improve turbo lag.