Used 2003 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo Xc90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Bad reliabitlity had to get rid ,very disappointed
By klosterfrau1

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I was lucky to get this car to 125k almost every month I had it in the shop for all kinds of problems from shocks to spark plug and coils replaced. brakes squeaking and replaced that didn’t fix the problem and the rotors were replaced and still didn’t fix the problem. The transmission gave out and had to be replaced, a piston gave out it was replaced, dashboard lights out , brake lights were out and the mechanic could not find the short so the wiring was replaced but the dash warning came on every time you step on the brakes. It leaks! The gas tank was leaking, then coolant started leaking and then wiper washer fluid started to leak as well. Tsc gave out, electric system warning came on.

What Volvo is not telling you about this car.
By marigold1

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I would stay far away from buying another Volvo after everything my family has been through with our 2003 XC90. The engines are not built to work with the transmissions. We have replaced the transmission every 30,000 miles. It has now become a safety issue. It has broken down on me too many times to count. I have dumped almost $12,000 into it. Go look at the service center at your local Volvo dealership. The lot is full of cars needing repairs. We have replaced the transmission 3 times, radiator, shocks, struts, axles, arm bushings...even down to the door handles. Do not make the same mistake we did. It is not a reliable car and I consider it a safety risk to drive.

Favorite Features

It's deceiving because the design of the car is beautiful. It drives quiet when things are working. Problem is....it's usually not working.

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling these cars. Stop replacing the transmissions and sending people back out on the road. Fix the root of the problem.

Very happy @ 200,000
By in_a_hurry

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've read the recent reviews and it appears most folks are pretty miffed with their XC-90's. I couldn't be happier with mine. A couple car pool trips shy of 200,000 miles (I bought it new) and no major issues - never a tranny, motor, A/C or electrical problem. I get about 45,000 miles on tires - not great but a willing compromise knowing I'm driving a stout porker that's as safe as anything on the road. I have an honest, reliable mechanic who has taken care of a couple cars for me - a bonus. Other than scheduled maintenance items, there hasn't been much to repair on the car that would not be expected, given the mileage. Ball joints and motor mounts are the only things that come to mind

Favorite Features

Safe, sturdy and a pleasure to drive - my wife and daughter enjoy driving it so it appeals to a broad range of tastes and driving styles. Road feel and weight of the vehicle inspire confidence. Plenty of space and options with folding 3rd row seats. The seats are very comfortable and supportive. While not a powerful car, the turbo charged motor has plenty of juice to keep you safe when merging, passing, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof drain plugs shrink over time, resulting in water intrusion if not resolved promptly. Plugs need to be pulled and cut/slit to open them back up - a VERY simple fix but one that needs to be done promptly. Headlamps fog badly over time - reducing visibility until polished. Stereo system is underwhelming. Turning radius is unusually wide - the complete opposite of early Volvos (240, et. al).

Volvo is Swedish for Unreliable Money-Pit
By rogerb41

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Be careful of what you wish for. We liked the design of the Volvo XC90, but after we bought it..... Let's see: 30k miles, the ENTIRE front end had to be replaced (after about 4 shots by the dealer to fix it). At 80k miles, Transmission failed. Wow! $5,000 for a transmission!! Around 110k miles, the CD changer and radio stopped working. Would come on and go off randomly; sometimes staying on after the car was turned off. The roof liner on both sides of the windhshield came off. The At 113k miles, Transmission failed AGAIN! Said Good-bye this morning to the Money-pit. Will never own another Volvo (my wife's 2002 S40 was the same story)

Favorite Features

Handled very well for an SUV. Very comfortable seats. Did have great AC, and nice positioning of vents. When the radio worked, it was nice

Suggested Improvements

Read my review.

Never Again
By phred3717

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I will never buy another Volvo. This car cost me countless hours and huge sums of money to keep running. I had an extended waranty to begin with but then the real problems began. Brake pads annually, main engine seals, tierod ends, transmission. Broke down on family trips even after being serviced faithfully by dealer! Last straw - the turbos blew on a road trip 1,000 Km from home with family and friends onboard. Got $100 for it and was happy to see the end of it. Fool me once shame on you Volvo - wont happen again.