Excellent niche vehicle
By neoskizzle on
2015 Volvo XC70 T6 4dr Wagon AWD w/Prod. End 5/14 (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)
Full disclosure: This is my 3rd XC70 and 5th Volvo. It's not that I'm a fanboi, they just best fit my current needs as family commuter and weekend sports equipment hauler. In fact, I shopped around A LOT before replacing my 2011 S60 T6 AWD with the 2015 XC70 T6 AWD. I'm not a fan of SUV looking vehicles but I require good rear leg room and ample cargo capacity. I also prefer more ground clearance than sedans+ as pot holes and high/steep curves have ruined my day in lower sitting cars. The wagon body-style is more popular in Europe and that suites me just fine. If you'd prefer a car but need more room and like the idea of extra ground clearance, you owe it to yourself to test drive an XC70.
Favorite Features
This is a premium, luxury vehicle 1st and foremost. The ride quality is plush. "Was that a rail road track? I can't tell, it was so smooth." There's limited wind noise, even at highway speeds. The seats are fantastic with just the right amount of support without being firm. Goldilocks would be proud. The rear seat leg room is copious with only the 2014 Subaru Forester boasting more. The new dash is wonderful, I prefer "Elegance" mode but have been playing with the Eco mode to see how much fuel economy I can squeeze out of the T6 AWD. My 2008 XC70 lacked the turbo and I must say, the turbo makes this a pleasure to drive. Acceleration is brisk but don't expect to beat a Porsche off the line.
Suggested Improvements
While I find the interior design to be generally outstanding (head and shoulders above the plastic, small-knobbed interior of the various Subarus I test drove) there are a couple of things that could be better. 1) The center stack, to include the 7" main display screen, are square with the dashboard. This is in stark contrast to the ever so slightly angled-to-the-driver center stack of the S60/V60/ and XC60. It's minor but it makes a difference. 2) As a commuter, both the 3.2 and the T6 return average mpg figures in the high teens. OUCH! On the highway I can inch up into the low 20's which is still quite poor. Will Volvo give the XC70 Drive-E engine options in future models? Here's hoping.