Nice car, very good quality, great on long freeway trips
By xira1 on
2014 Volvo XC70 T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)
I just turned in a 2011 Subaru Forester at lease-end, which I liked, for the 2014 Volvo XC70 (T6 turbo, AWD), which I now have driven 2,000 miles. There are pros and cons to both--the Subaru was a simpler car with less gizmos to go wrong, and in 3 years, nothing broke. It was also very fun to drive-- very responsive steering. But for long trips, I like the Volvo better-- in fact I am less tired after a long freeway trip because of the excellent driving position, superior visibility, great road-holding feel (it feels like it drives itself when going 75 MPH), great seats, blind-spot monitoring system, and a superior audio sound system. The cabin is also very quiet, and AC is powerful.
Favorite Features
The Volvo is at its best at high speeds on the freeway. But due to its cushy suspension, it leans when going around wide curves on mountain roads at more than, say, 40 MPH, and so the otherwise precise steering is not as well appreciated on windy roads because you have to make small corrections to keep it on course. But I DON'T miss the emergency handling at freeway speeds of the Forester-- it was lighter and taller, and it was scary to make a high-speed correction. The Volvo feels, and is, safer and less likely to roll over. I should add that I LOVE the blind-spot monitoring (makes lane-changing much easier for someone with a stiff neck like me) and parking assist system!!
Suggested Improvements
The side view mirrors move just slightly every time I re-start the car and I have to reach out the window and snap them back into place. Also the cruise control is very strange and imprecise in setting. Maybe there is something I haven't figured out about it, but, at any rate, I wish it just had a simple "set" button! Also I wish the taillights would not go on, and stay on, very time I lift the tailgate in dim light. That is an example of TOO MUCH technology getting in the way and thinking for me. But overall it's a real high-quality car and I feel super-safe in it, for the 20,000 miles a year I drive. I'm using it to haul bikes, kayaks, and dogs.