2014 Volvo XC70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC70 model:

One year later
By xira1

2014 Volvo XC70 T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I now have been driving my XC70 for one year and 15,000 miles. My impression, after looking at some other comparable cars, is that it remains a wonderful value in terms of interior quality. Even the $50,000 Acura MDX doesn't have as nice an interior. Every component is top-notch. It's great for a long trip because of the comfort and the FABULOUS sound system. Where it disappoints is in driving dynamics; it's not really fun to drive; it's safe and predictable and road-holding but not exciting.

Favorite Features

Blind-spot monitoring, although Acura has a better version that doesn't pick up trees and such in the sensor, which turns red many times when driving around town. Great visibility and huge side-view mirrors. Great seats. Quiet engine, very good power in Turbo. The car has also been very reliable-- no problems so far. The 50,000 mile warranty is great, but my struggling neighborhood dealer just closed. This is a problem for any future warranty work I may need.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like the City Safety feature. It has jammed on the brakes a number of times when I drive into my driveway, and it seems to see the overhead storage bin; also, when going down the driveway when it (sometimes) sees a low-hanging tree branch. I'd give up some comfort in the plush ride to get more exciting handling. But all in all, Volvo has produced a really high-quality vehicle.

Nice car, very good quality, great on long freeway trips
By xira1

2014 Volvo XC70 T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I just turned in a 2011 Subaru Forester at lease-end, which I liked, for the 2014 Volvo XC70 (T6 turbo, AWD), which I now have driven 2,000 miles. There are pros and cons to both--the Subaru was a simpler car with less gizmos to go wrong, and in 3 years, nothing broke. It was also very fun to drive-- very responsive steering. But for long trips, I like the Volvo better-- in fact I am less tired after a long freeway trip because of the excellent driving position, superior visibility, great road-holding feel (it feels like it drives itself when going 75 MPH), great seats, blind-spot monitoring system, and a superior audio sound system. The cabin is also very quiet, and AC is powerful.

Favorite Features

The Volvo is at its best at high speeds on the freeway. But due to its cushy suspension, it leans when going around wide curves on mountain roads at more than, say, 40 MPH, and so the otherwise precise steering is not as well appreciated on windy roads because you have to make small corrections to keep it on course. But I DON'T miss the emergency handling at freeway speeds of the Forester-- it was lighter and taller, and it was scary to make a high-speed correction. The Volvo feels, and is, safer and less likely to roll over. I should add that I LOVE the blind-spot monitoring (makes lane-changing much easier for someone with a stiff neck like me) and parking assist system!!

Suggested Improvements

The side view mirrors move just slightly every time I re-start the car and I have to reach out the window and snap them back into place. Also the cruise control is very strange and imprecise in setting. Maybe there is something I haven't figured out about it, but, at any rate, I wish it just had a simple "set" button! Also I wish the taillights would not go on, and stay on, very time I lift the tailgate in dim light. That is an example of TOO MUCH technology getting in the way and thinking for me. But overall it's a real high-quality car and I feel super-safe in it, for the 20,000 miles a year I drive. I'm using it to haul bikes, kayaks, and dogs.

I can't believe I bought a Volvo
By jim6090

2014 Volvo XC70 T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife drives an 2010 XC60. I have always enjoyed it. Shopping for a car for me took me down a wide variety of paths. BMW and MBs Audi, Lexus and more. I wanted a fun, economical and safe car being a grandfather of 4. My old wagon was a 2010 chipped Passat. Enjoyed it, but just didn't feel safe and secure. After much research I ordered a 2014 T6 with the platinum package. Again more research. Had the Polestar installed. Can you say WOW. If you want a fun car that gets low 20s on the highway. You just won't believe how well this car drives. It will surprise you. Seats are most comfortable of any car period. Any price and brand. I tried them all! I am 6 ft 2. 250

Favorite Features

0-60 low 6s maybe high 5s. Seats seats seats. Never having to have a key out of my pocket. Killing sound system. Having my wife love the car.

Suggested Improvements

Make IPD stabilizer bar the factory choice. I added it to make handling even better.