Used 2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC70 model:

Great Ride
By dronepro

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

You know when you really like a car and you wish you had it. But, you wish it's as good as you expect it... This is, it blew me away. Probably the finest, most fun ride.

Favorite Features

Tons of power, Polestar upgrade would make this the ultimate lite off road toy.

Suggested Improvements

2013 has taken care of 2011 issues.

Looks good, feels great, but...
By an0nym0us

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Comparing to 2002 V70XC I traded in for it, it's a mixed bag. Interior feels much more luxurious and refined; also appears somewhat roomier. Exterior design mostly improved on the previous generation, except for those silvery things around fog lights. Actually on mine - painted Electric Silver - they look OK, but on darker cars they're outright out of place. The engine - 3.2 inline 6 - is nominally more powerful than the T5 on previous generation, but feels not as peppy as the older one. Gas mileage is not as good, too. The transmission feels more smooth-shifting and refined. The suspension is tuned more towards ride comfort rather than spirited driving style.

Favorite Features

Everything except the engine. BLIS actually already saved me from quite a few angry honks and finger salutes.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back T5 engine

Sleeper T6
By neilxc70

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

A fine car. Comfy, functional, powerful, attractive, high quality, safe, and nearly a bargain compared with other "wagons". It replaced my wife's 1996 850 wagon- which I never liked-- and we bought it with European delivery for about $40k (with climate, convenience, incl taxes and license). We put about 3k mi on it in Europe and averaged, according to the display, 24.4 mi/gal. (But $140 fill ups are very painful). The mpg was a pleasant surprise considering the EPA rating (22 mpg hwy) and some of the reviews. Effortless cruising at 200 kph on the Autobahn. Overall, almost as impressive as my BMW 335i E92 but they're much different beasts.

Favorite Features

Comfort, safety, functionality, engine, driveability, quality, Volvo European delivery program, free maintenance program.

Suggested Improvements

Continue the XC70 T6 as is but use direct injection to improve fuel economy.

I LOVE my T6!
By lindsayg

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Volvo has read my mind- all my "issues" with my 2008 standard XC70 have been completely corrected in the 2011 T6 model. It is absolutely worth the extra $ for the turbo version. I traded in my 2008 and a 2008 BMW M3 on this Volvo and I don't miss the BMW at all because the new Volvo is so much fun to drive. The best of both worlds. Way to go, Volvo!

Favorite Features

The turbo is quiet, smooth, and gives the big car the perfect amount of get up and go. Volvo has improved their Tiptronic and it is now quick and responsive. The coolest thing is that when you flip over into Tiptronic, the engine actually puts out a little bit more power, which is perfect. The BLIS system's quirks have been resolved and I haven't had it malfunction in low light or rain as it did in my 2008. The brakes are finally big enough for the vehicle and they switched back to traditional suspension, which is still very comfortable but can be customized if one would like a stiffer ride. Overall, I absolutely love it.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major at all. However, more power ports up front would be nice. I have the technology package with the feature that warns of impending collision and with lane departure warnings. Sometimes the glare of the collission warning light module is at a less than ideal place on the windshield, but I am not sure how else they would place the warning lights where they need to be. I'm getting better mileage in the Turbo than I ever did in my standard 2008 model (a small improvement), but I'm surprised they couldn't squeeze out a few more MPG with current technology. 20 MPG in mixed highway/back road driving seems a little unimpressive, but then it is a big car with AWD... so ??

Very fun to dirve
By hikerguy69

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I had a 2005 Subaru Forrester XT with 94K miles, and decided it was time for a new vehicle . I wanted a car that was fun to drive, yet able to carry me, my friends and camping gear up Idaho forrest roads. I looked at 2010 Forrester and Outback, but settled on the XC 70 T6. It is very fun to drive. I love the comfortable seat and the relatively quiet AWD. The handling was excellent and the turbo had loads of pickup. I've only had it a week, but I am very happy.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable. The interior is beautiful. The sound system is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

The GPS is not very intuitive. More work needs to be done with the software. It is no where near as easy to use as my Garmin Nuvi.