2009 Volvo XC70 Consumer Review: Nice hauler and 21 mpg!

2009 Volvo XC70 Wagon - Consumer Review

Nice hauler and 21 mpg!
By Pete in Golden on

2009 Volvo XC70 T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a demo T6 (4600 miles) to replace our well-used '98 XC (145,000 mi). After shopping the Audi A6, BMW 530xi and Passat 4Motion, we came back to the Volvo due to its edge on cargo size (and utility) and our previous experience with the XC in the snow. We drive the Colo. mountains every weekend in the winter and the Volvo (with snows) is impossible to beat: goes where you point it and stops when you want it to -- inspires a great deal of confidence in bad conditions. The reviews I read about the car's mileage gave me pause, but I'm happy to report that we're getting 21 mpg in mixed driving (with a cargo pod always on the roof). (Same mpg more or less as the smaller 98 XC)

Cargo capacity, winter capabilities, 21mpg in a pretty large vehicle (with a cargo pod on top). Fairly simple for a large, European luxury vehicle (no nav) -- none of the I-drive or other systems found on the competition. Xenon lights. The tan leather is like butter, but could show some dirt...

Make Xenon lights available without the pricey option package -- it's a major safety factor and I'm surprised Volvo makes you opt in (they're standard on my less costly VW GTI). Go back to a regular key -- what's the point of the doo-hickey in the dash? Last, it's higher than it needs to be.