Hold out for a T6!
By lindsayg on
2008 Volvo XC70 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
My 2008 XC70 was comfortable, reliable, safe, and VERY roomy. I liked it so much that I just bought a 2011 XC70 T6 (the Turbo model). My few "issues" with the 2008 were that the suspension was air-ride and was therefore unable to be customized for a tighter ride, the Tiptronic transmission was too slow to react and the brakes were too whimpy for the weight of the car. ALL those issues have been corrected in the 2011 as if they read my mind. However, with a good set of snow tires, my 2008 NEVER got stuck, and we had 2 winters of 2-6 foot snow storms. I went out on roads that hadn't been plowed, through plow piles at the end of my driveway, and it never hesitated. Better than my Jeep!
Favorite Features
This is the largest wagon you can get. When the seats are folded down, the cargo area is astounding. I loved the rear cargo cubby and the stereo is phenomenal. It was surprisingly peppy and the gas mileage wasn't too bad. The AWD is excellent, smooth, reliable, and well balanced. The black rubber wheel well detail saved my paint (on the car and my garage) on several occassions. The BLIS system is great (when it works).
Suggested Improvements
It needs bigger, slotted brakes for the weight of the car. I had to spend a fortune to have a set custom made, but it was completely worth it. The BLIS system has trouble working when you need it most; in low light and rain. The Tiptronic transmission needs a lot of refinement, as it is slow to respond and not smooth when it does. At 40k miles, my fold-in mirrors started misbehaving ($1700 each to replace- yikes!), my AM radio stopped working, and I started to feel more body flex than I would like in a car that solid. I traded it in on an identical 2011 (but with Turbo!).