2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

3.2 3.2L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Automatic - (34 reviews )
No Problem(s)
By melalbert on 12/27/11 15:42 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 3-year old 2008 XC-70 with only 39K on odometer and just absolutely love the vehicle. I have been able to transport my wife and I and two teens in absolute comfort all over the East Coast, racking up over 10K miles in six months. Everyone sleeps in comfort in their leather seats as I tool along smoothly over those miles. If this isn't my dream car yet, then don't wake me when it shows up.

My Last Volvo - Disapointing
By jeffmay27 on 11/01/11 10:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned three Volvo's in the last 10 years, always leased them for 4 years and got another one. This was my second XC70. This 2008 XC70 has been horrible, the day I got it one of the radiators sprung a leak and I Was forced to get it serviced on a Satruday. the sales rep did nto include an owners manual or the Volvo hotline. Since then the floating panel had to be replaced, the windows do nto go up and down properly. I took the car in at 82,000Km to get last warranty work done (I was late by 2K) and was told the rules - has to be under 80,000KM. I guess a 10 year history with a Company does not warrant any reverse loyalty. MY last Volvo - I will be glad when my lease is up Jul12.

Hold out for a T6!
By lindsayg on 05/06/11 07:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My 2008 XC70 was comfortable, reliable, safe, and VERY roomy. I liked it so much that I just bought a 2011 XC70 T6 (the Turbo model). My few "issues" with the 2008 were that the suspension was air-ride and was therefore unable to be customized for a tighter ride, the Tiptronic transmission was too slow to react and the brakes were too whimpy for the weight of the car. ALL those issues have been corrected in the 2011 as if they read my mind. However, with a good set of snow tires, my 2008 NEVER got stuck, and we had 2 winters of 2-6 foot snow storms. I went out on roads that hadn't been plowed, through plow piles at the end of my driveway, and it never hesitated. Better than my Jeep!

Update to an earlier review
By an update on 08/27/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I loved the car. At first. Then it broke. A lot. Eventually even Volvo gave up and gave me my money back after 15 months. I really did like driving the car when I could. But it was a lemon.

Two years and still a winner
By BEST WAGON on 06/02/10 07:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the XC70 in June of 08. Has not had one problem. Only been in for regular maintenance. I drive highway miles to work and average 28 mpg. Would buy the car again.

Fantastic Volvo
By Rawfish on 04/22/10 17:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought mine new and have had absolutely no issues at all. As for power, it's a bit weak and my 2001 XC70 with the turbo was much faster, but all in all it's enough. Super safe...that is the main reason I got it. No ONE beats Volvo on that so I'll trade speed (I also had a S60R) for safety.

**No Issues Here**
By **no issues here** on 03/07/10 08:43 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have been driving this car for about 3 months and so far it has been a great vehicle. I recently got back into by old car (00 Outback LTD) which my wife now drives and really noticed the comfort and smooth ride of the Volvo!! I live in CO and drive to the mountains nearly weekly. It does great getting up the passes. While not excessive the power is adequate to get around people around you. Fuel eco is really not bad if you do a decent amount of highway miles. If you stick to city only it sure does drop quite a bit. I am getting between 20-21 combined. Some issues with a the air blower (makes a clicking noise) but have not yet tried to take it in for a fix. Overall a great car!!

At the end of my lease
By luisja on 01/04/10 07:58 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I am so happy I returned the lease, I've had so many problems with this car that at the end I did not even bother on taking it in to the shop. I would not recommend this car to anybody unless you want to spend every other week at the shop. AC issues, transmission, pieces/hardware coming off outside and inside, thermometer, squeaks and rattles, BLIS system, Park assist, and more. I guess that's the reason why Ford is selling this to the Chinese, too many issues to fix. Check consumer reports and you'll see what I am talking about. On top of all that I've been waiting for Volvo US or the dealer to contact me about my experience but a response never came back.

Big Disapointment
By DaveJ on 11/15/09 18:12 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Acquired on 2 yr 12K Volvo lease with promise that I could extend for 6 months. Now that I am at lease end Volvo and the dealer will not honor the original promise. I was offered a $29K buyout do not overpay. I am through with Volvo. I had a 2000 V70XC-SE. After 90K miles major systems failed and cost to keep it on the road were VERY high. Same experience with a prior 240 DL. You cannot afford to keep them going once they need major service. The 2008 has disappointing performance and mileage. It is underpowered. The BLIS sensors and ultrasonic sensors don't work in the rain or snow. Any load in the rear causes the springs to bottom out. Check Xenon headlight replacement cost.

Overall Excellent
By BrettW on 11/04/09 12:10 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, this vehicle has been excellent. I purchased it with 10,000 miles on it and have added another 12,000 in the past 9 months. The car handles snow like a champ- in fact much better than the touted Subaru all wheel drive system (I traded in a 2007 Legacy for this car). It is slightly underpowered off the line, but at 55 miles per hour and above this car has plenty of torque to pass on tough Colorado mountain passes. The interior design and quality is excellent, and the seats are everything you expect from a Volvo. They wholeheartedly live up to their expectation. Only issues have been a few rattles and squeaks and a defective speaker that the dealer solved.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.