Used 2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo Xc70 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon

3.2 3.2L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Automatic - (34 reviews )

No Problem(s)
By melalbert

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 3-year old 2008 XC-70 with only 39K on odometer and just absolutely love the vehicle. I have been able to transport my wife and I and two teens in absolute comfort all over the East Coast, racking up over 10K miles in six months. Everyone sleeps in comfort in their leather seats as I tool along smoothly over those miles. If this isn't my dream car yet, then don't wake me when it shows up.

Favorite Features

Best features are the leather, reclining, heated, seats with power controls, power sunroof, A/C in summer and heat controls now that it is cold. The comfort and quiet of the ride is my favorite feature, along with the fact that this car looks really sharp. The storage space behind the two rear seats leaves plenty of space to fit my son's large hockey bag. With the seats folded down, I have been able to fit two adult bicycles on their sides for further adventures.

Suggested Improvements

Disappointments have to do with two of the tires wearing prematurely (for which I blame the original leasee), inability to get the visor-based HomeLink system to recognize my new garage door opener and only a single CD player instead of the six-changer I have in other cars. The inside of the windshield tends to fog up rather quickly. Fuel economy not the greatest but that's not why I bought the car. I bought it to celebrate my anticipated retirement.

My Last Volvo - Disapointing
By jeffmay27

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned three Volvo's in the last 10 years, always leased them for 4 years and got another one. This was my second XC70. This 2008 XC70 has been horrible, the day I got it one of the radiators sprung a leak and I Was forced to get it serviced on a Satruday. the sales rep did nto include an owners manual or the Volvo hotline. Since then the floating panel had to be replaced, the windows do nto go up and down properly. I took the car in at 82,000Km to get last warranty work done (I was late by 2K) and was told the rules - has to be under 80,000KM. I guess a 10 year history with a Company does not warrant any reverse loyalty. MY last Volvo - I will be glad when my lease is up Jul12.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start, engine lacks power, original tires rated for 60,000KM, radiator leaks, windows do not work, side panel started to peal off.

Hold out for a T6!
By lindsayg

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My 2008 XC70 was comfortable, reliable, safe, and VERY roomy. I liked it so much that I just bought a 2011 XC70 T6 (the Turbo model). My few "issues" with the 2008 were that the suspension was air-ride and was therefore unable to be customized for a tighter ride, the Tiptronic transmission was too slow to react and the brakes were too whimpy for the weight of the car. ALL those issues have been corrected in the 2011 as if they read my mind. However, with a good set of snow tires, my 2008 NEVER got stuck, and we had 2 winters of 2-6 foot snow storms. I went out on roads that hadn't been plowed, through plow piles at the end of my driveway, and it never hesitated. Better than my Jeep!

Favorite Features

This is the largest wagon you can get. When the seats are folded down, the cargo area is astounding. I loved the rear cargo cubby and the stereo is phenomenal. It was surprisingly peppy and the gas mileage wasn't too bad. The AWD is excellent, smooth, reliable, and well balanced. The black rubber wheel well detail saved my paint (on the car and my garage) on several occassions. The BLIS system is great (when it works).

Suggested Improvements

It needs bigger, slotted brakes for the weight of the car. I had to spend a fortune to have a set custom made, but it was completely worth it. The BLIS system has trouble working when you need it most; in low light and rain. The Tiptronic transmission needs a lot of refinement, as it is slow to respond and not smooth when it does. At 40k miles, my fold-in mirrors started misbehaving ($1700 each to replace- yikes!), my AM radio stopped working, and I started to feel more body flex than I would like in a car that solid. I traded it in on an identical 2011 (but with Turbo!).

Update to an earlier review
By an update

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I loved the car. At first. Then it broke. A lot. Eventually even Volvo gave up and gave me my money back after 15 months. I really did like driving the car when I could. But it was a lemon.

Two years and still a winner
By BEST WAGON

2008 Volvo XC70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the XC70 in June of 08. Has not had one problem. Only been in for regular maintenance. I drive highway miles to work and average 28 mpg. Would buy the car again.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride. Great handling. Driving in snow and hardly know it. Comfortable seats. Supreme stereo. More than enough room for clients.

Suggested Improvements

Backup camera.