Used 2007 Volvo XC70 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volvo XC70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

Worst car I ever owned
By crustyjef2

2007 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this car hoping to get well into 6 figures on the mileage. Well within 2000 miles of the warranty expiring i am incurring $8000 in repairs. Failed water pump and timing belt and then the transmission failed. Volvo and dealership seem to care less. I get it that i am outside the warranty, but come on Volvo! 2000 miles?

(Almost) Everything a Car Should Be
By matt1122

2007 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned two of this generation of the Volvo XC70. I upgraded from a 2001 to a 2007 to gain electronic stability control, a more powerful and cleaner running engine, and the Haldex AWD. The only reliability problem I have had in the 11 years since my first XC70 was delivered was a bad transmission in the 01. It covered by warranty, and at no point was I unable to drive the vehicle - even once it became obvious the transmission was going (it simply became loud and clunky).

The best thing about this car is its character. It has all of the comfort and security you would expect out of a Volvo wagon, but is built so that the occasional rocky dirt road, snow storm, or runaway shopping car won't ruin your day. In addition, the 2.5L Turbocharged engine makes it a car that is both fun to drive and easy to merge onto a highway with. The large, flat cargo area behind the rear seats combined with the steel cargo barrier accessory also make this an ideal road tripper for dog owners (the rear seat bottoms can be folded forward when the dog is in the back and secured with a tether, leaving plenty of room for your bags even if your pooch takes up the whole cargo area!).

I would have liked if a more powerful engine was available on the 2001 - 2007 models, especially something as nice as the 325HP available on the 2012 XC70 T6 with Polestar Performance Package. I also wish the fuel economy was a bit better. I generally get 19 - 22 MPG depending on the time of year with a strong mix of city and highway driving.

Gas and Tires
By crh

2007 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

solid ,no mechanical fault with 36000k I get 19 to 21 in winter and sum.20 to 24,5 all hwy drive,you get better mpg at 77 then 74 or 65 ,uses more 68 to 74

easy to drive,good hwy car

small back seat,suspention grabs the road but its loose,not like audi,bmw mb or vw/volvo for life because it depreciates to fast,a 45k car its retail for 26 last 3.5yrs,next time il grt a used one for a 3rd car

A Smooth Ride
By maggiemay

2007 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first experience with Volvo and after having driven the XC-70 for two years, I submit this review. The XC-70 is a wonderful machine with an incredibly smooth ride for a wagon. I feel very safe in this vehicle and the weight of the XC-70 surrounding me evokes a secure feeling. The XC-70 handles well in inclement weather and is easily maneuvered when quick action is required. For comfort and safety, I would recommend this model to any couple who loves to travel by auto. Would not recommend it if back seat passengers are often along -- too cramped.For safety and reliability, I would say it is second to none.

Love the memory feature on drivers seat, driver and passenger comfort is exceptional. Nice sound system and back up warning feature is a real bumper savor. Love the design now that it no longer resembles a saltine box. Well done!

REALLY needs more leg room in rear seat. More left foot space for driver. More storage in front. Visibility for driver looking over shoulder to the right not good. Needs a better way to lower back seats so front seats have more maneuverability. Needs ability to move passenger seat w/o turning key

Glad I chose the XC70
By first time owner

2007 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After thinking about it for a long time, I narrowed down my choice of cars to the XC70, Honda Element and Outback. Drove all 3 back to back. Bought the 2007 XC70 with 30k miles for a great price, especially with a trade-in of my 16 year old Toyota 4-runner! I thought there was not comparison between the Volvo and the Outback....I know the Outback has a good reputation, but the XC70 has blown me away (imagine moving from a 1993 4-runner to a 2007 XC70). It is such a joy to drive, and although I can't compare it to other cars in its class, I think it handles and rides incredibly. It is so solid and quiet and the interior is like sitting in your favorite leather chair.

Ride, AWD, Interior, sound system is amazing. MPG better than I expected (esp. compared to an SUV) . I have been getting 20-21 mpg commuting to work- 7 miles of interstate and 3 miles of city driving. My avg while on the interstate is mid 26+, even better when I keep it a little under 70:)

Cross bars on the roof rack would be nice. Brake dust on front wheels is annoying.