Used 2006 Volvo XC70 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC70 model:

Too many problems
By bridget7

2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My XC70 has 112,000 miles on it, and is as expensive to run as my Audi was, without the luxury. Each required service, basically a glorified oil change, runs anywhere from $250 to over $500. The AWD quit working last winter because of worn-out teeth on a coupler that attaches to the drive train, according to the mechanic a common problem. They want anywhere from $1000 to $3000 to fix it, depending on "unforeseen problems." Also, the condenser has a leak so the a/c quit working this summer. They want another $1000 to replace that. The radio has a short, which isn't repairable, only replaceable for around $800, and after market stereos can't be installed on Volvos due to a proprietary design.

Driver seat comfort, second row folds into floor, good on snow when AWD is working. Nice leather trim, heated seats work well. All the electronics have held up well, other than the short in the radio, so the driver's door speaker works intermittently.

By 2006, should have had an MP3 plug-in. Interior finish began deteriorating at about 90,000 miles. Climate system is annoying. With defrost on, the a/c compressor is required to turn on, and this makes it hard to warm up the interior. Not very good airflow from dashboard vents when a/c is on. The radio short has been really frustrating, and occurred when the car had less than 36,000 miles on it. For the price of the car, interior fit and finish should have more leather and wood, less plastic.

great, but....
By BR

2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second xc70. The first one (2003) was a lemon; I gave another try to a newer model with a dealer-backed 100k warranty. It's been great, but.... now at 75k, I've had two sets of tie rod issues again, and I'm starting to wonder how many repairs I'll be facing after 100k. The design, comfort and performance of this car are outstanding. In exchange, you will be buying a very touchy and expensive car to maintain. My advice? If you don't mind spending all your discretionary income on car repairs and $$$$maintenance, and you live near a Volvo dealer, you'll love this car. If you live in big snow country like I do, it's amazing!

design and performance, outstanding

costly to maintain, costly to repair

Great for an outdoorsy on-the-go family!
By oregonmom

2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We've owned our XC70 for four years and hope to keep it forever. We take many road trips - mountains, coasts, 1000+ mile trips, and it's been wonderful. We haven't had any problems at all. We do our regular oil changes and maintenance and it just goes anywhere we wish to take it! Today - at around 41K miles - we are shopping around for our first new set of tires. The Pirelli's that came with the car were OK, but we're going to put some Michelin's on to see how we like those better. The kids get carsick in other vehicles, but have never had a problem in the XC70. We also camp quite a bit and are able to fit everything for a family of four into the back. We're very happy with our Volvo!

Comfy interior, park assist sensors, fun to drive, feels safe and more sturdy than other cars. Does great on snow and ice and slick rainy situations. Love our moon/sunroof. Lots of cargo space. The Home Safe lighting system is handy. We also love the service we get at our dealer! Good people!

Could use a little more leg room in the back seats for the kids, but I don't see how they would do that without taking away the cargo/storage space which is one of our favorite features.

Great Car
By 530n523

2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After four years and 68500 miles my XC70 is holding up well. Still drives like a new car and enjoy it every day. Interior and exterior build quality is great. It has never broken down and the only repair was a hole in the radiator for road debris. It is always loaded with surf boards and still has room for three people. Very comfortable seats and outstanding visibility. A great balance of snow, mild off road and street performance. Around town MPG 18 and highway 23.

Exterior styling, rounded driving performance, interior room and ergonomics. I like that I don't see others on the road everyday. This car has been very reliable.

Only one minor suggestion. Quiet blinkers. They are not as loud as some, but BMW's are much quieter and less annoying.

Had many car...this is the one!!!!
By Stanley

2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We must have had over 50 vehicles of all kinds over the years. This one is a tank. I feel so safe. Although we have only had it a few months, I could not be more impressed. I have yet to go through a winter but with a hill for a driveway it is very comforting to know I will make it up without any issues. Can't wait to try it in the snow. I feel very secure, rich, and cared for when driving.

Safe feeling.