2006 Volvo XC70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC70 model:
Too many problems
By bridget7 on 09/27/14 14:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My XC70 has 112,000 miles on it, and is as expensive to run as my Audi was, without the luxury. Each required service, basically a glorified oil change, runs anywhere from $250 to over $500. The AWD quit working last winter because of worn-out teeth on a coupler that attaches to the drive train, according to the mechanic a common problem. They want anywhere from $1000 to $3000 to fix it, depending on "unforeseen problems." Also, the condenser has a leak so the a/c quit working this summer. They want another $1000 to replace that. The radio has a short, which isn't repairable, only replaceable for around $800, and after market stereos can't be installed on Volvos due to a proprietary design.

great, but....
By BR on 09/05/10 00:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second xc70. The first one (2003) was a lemon; I gave another try to a newer model with a dealer-backed 100k warranty. It's been great, but.... now at 75k, I've had two sets of tie rod issues again, and I'm starting to wonder how many repairs I'll be facing after 100k. The design, comfort and performance of this car are outstanding. In exchange, you will be buying a very touchy and expensive car to maintain. My advice? If you don't mind spending all your discretionary income on car repairs and $$$$maintenance, and you live near a Volvo dealer, you'll love this car. If you live in big snow country like I do, it's amazing!

Great for an outdoorsy on-the-go family!
By oregonmom on 09/03/10 13:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We've owned our XC70 for four years and hope to keep it forever. We take many road trips - mountains, coasts, 1000+ mile trips, and it's been wonderful. We haven't had any problems at all. We do our regular oil changes and maintenance and it just goes anywhere we wish to take it! Today - at around 41K miles - we are shopping around for our first new set of tires. The Pirelli's that came with the car were OK, but we're going to put some Michelin's on to see how we like those better. The kids get carsick in other vehicles, but have never had a problem in the XC70. We also camp quite a bit and are able to fit everything for a family of four into the back. We're very happy with our Volvo!

Great Car
By 530n523 on 02/09/10 12:42 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After four years and 68500 miles my XC70 is holding up well. Still drives like a new car and enjoy it every day. Interior and exterior build quality is great. It has never broken down and the only repair was a hole in the radiator for road debris. It is always loaded with surf boards and still has room for three people. Very comfortable seats and outstanding visibility. A great balance of snow, mild off road and street performance. Around town MPG 18 and highway 23.

Had many car...this is the one!!!!
By Stanley on 11/01/09 16:17 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We must have had over 50 vehicles of all kinds over the years. This one is a tank. I feel so safe. Although we have only had it a few months, I could not be more impressed. I have yet to go through a winter but with a hill for a driveway it is very comforting to know I will make it up without any issues. Can't wait to try it in the snow. I feel very secure, rich, and cared for when driving.

Reliable and practical
By JC Morejon on 10/17/09 20:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my third Volvo xc and the best by far. Smooth ride and handles well in inclement weather. Trunk size is great.

These are sweet cars!
By VolvoForLife on 06/03/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I just purchased a 2006 XC70 AWD wagons and I am very pleased. This car is made for road tripping or just cruising around town in style, comfort and safety. Sweet ride Volvo.

Great car, No key entry to rear hatch
By Bernie on 12/04/08 09:36 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I own the car for 6 weeks now, and love it, except for the fact that if for some reason you can't open the rear hatch with the remote, or from the lock control inside the car, there's no key entry place to be able to gain access to the rear. This is super important to me because I'm disabled, and my scooter is in the rear compartment. If I can't open the hatch for some reason, I'm really going to be stuck because I won't be able to remove my Scooter. I wonder where their heads were in designing a wagon, where there's no way to gain access if the remote or the carlock don't work for whatever reason!

Not the Volvo it used to be
By Notpleased on 09/30/08 18:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

From the moment I drove the car off the lot new there was a thump in the rear end. It took 18 months to get the problem corrected. At 32,000 miles something internally damaged the engine head, and it needed replacement. It was repaired under warranty, but the car simply does not perform like it did prior to the problem. This all happened even after being religous about meeting service and oil change intervals, etc. I love the look of the car inside and out but the Volvo quality and service have alot to be desired. I say this after having six Volvos over the last 20+ years, the first four running over 100,000 miles with few problems. The last two (both XC70) with nothing but problems.

Definitely a Volvo - Worth the $
By Northeast on 08/19/07 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC70 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We changed our Passat wagon for a Volvo XC70 and will definitely keep it at the end of the lease. We have never owned such a sturdy and comfortable car. This car rocks! For a second car, we are considering another Volvo. You definitely get your money's worth.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.