2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )
The best car I have ever owned!
By camnate on 07/19/12 20:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Ok so I baught this vehicle from my brother with 75k, he bought the vehicle with 51k and he had all scheduled maintenance done. I have kept up with the majore ones. I have no idea about the previous owner. This car has never left me stranded and rides like a dream! my wife loves it! 130k miles and still runs/rides perfect. There are the occasional minor fixes that will set you back a few hundred but really. as the car gets older even an extra $1200 year minor fixes is well worth it.. you can drive it for 20 years! The engine is iron clad (2.5 5cy) and it still drives like its on glass. tires are a pain, and MPG could be better but treat it right and will pay dividends!

Great car, lousy tire options and MPG
By gbs on 04/14/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my XC70 as a certified used car. I had previously owned an Audi A6 wagon, which was a tank. The Audi drove better at highway speeds, had a vastly superior stereo. But I have to say, I love the Volvo's style, excellent front seats, storage capability. What I don't like: Perelli tires which need to be replaced every 30K miles or so. haven't found a suitable replacement that tire cos will actually put on the car due to safety ratings and sizing issues. And since I do mostly city driving, the mpg is lousy. Overall, glad it was pre- certified. Have saved much $$$ having the dealer take car of stuff. I'd recommend the XC70.

A Winner for the Long (and Large) Haul
By Gail on 03/13/10 08:03 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this wagon for Michigan winters and it has been wonderful. I hate vans and SUVs so this was a great way to transport kids, snowboards, and weaving looms but then also have some dignity and style. It has been perfectly reliable and made winter driving a joy for this transplant from NC. The only change I'd make is the digital clock that tends to speed up and is difficult to set exactly. The car doesn't get super mileage, but the tradeoff is a heavy, safe and sturdy vehicle that I will keep hopefully as long as my last Volvo (15 years!!) I highly recommend this brand/model and hope it is still a winner in 10 more years.

Disaster
By Polly on 09/25/07 16:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

There is a distinct delay when stepping on the gas pedal which can be a problem pulling out in heavy traffic. This car is truly terrible in the snow, seems to float, not in a good way. Changed the tires and this helped somewhat, but don't buy this car if you live in a snowy part of the country. Had over 100 "faults" in the computer electrical system recently, the dealer says this car is a computer on wheels and after over $500 (no parts in this cost) in computer software downloads cannot say if the problem will ever be totally fixed.

Best of Volvo
By hcsaun on 01/08/07 12:05 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my fourth Volvo, which I have been buying new since 1996. My 2005 XC70 is by far the best of all. Its handling is what I like best, so solid in its gripping of all road surfaces. Seating and interior space are top notch. I currently have 30,000+ miles and have not had any maintenance issues, other than those scheduled!!

Big Problems with 05 XC70
By Drea88 on 11/26/06 13:55 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had so many problems with my 2005 XC70, that I am w/o a car more than I am with one. This is my 3rd Volvo and the worst one so far. From the driver door coming open while I was driving twice to gas shooting in my face due to a faulty gas line and cut off. I think I would have been better off with a car that is 20 years old. My car is now inactive again ( every month) because of a faulty trans. Do you think that Volvo or the Volvo dealership will take it back. NO! It is a lemon but of course in PA the lemon law is so crazy that I can't do anything with this car but to leave it in my driveway, due to the numerous times that it breaks down and put myself and my family at risk. So buyer beware

Happy
By RW on 10/14/06 13:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent car for long trips with the family in all driving conditions available in the western US

another beautiful Volvo
By c&c on 07/02/06 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is solid, beautiful, and fun to drive. It has the feel of a luxury sedan, but it is great in inclement weather. Gorgeous detail, great looking car, and of course, safe!

2005 Volvo XC70
By rtkcwhite on 02/03/06 21:59 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The handling and comfort of this vehicle has surpassed our expectations. We traded a Suburban for this ride and we were worried about the reduced cargo space and to our suprise it packs vey nicely

I love it!
By Jon on 12/11/05 19:38 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I own an Infiniti FX35 which I really enjoy driving (280 HP). I bought my wife the Volvo XC70 so she would stop driving my FX. Guess what? She can have the FX, I love the XC70! The XC70 rides very smoothly, has plenty of power, especially at high speeds, has incredible grip especially in snow, and has a huge trunk. I like the look as well. I bought the premium package and the interior materials are very nice, the stereo is great too. The gas mileage is average, however. We don't have kids but Ii have no problem driving a station wagon. I grew up in Europe and station wagons are in there. Here, there is a stigma about driving a station wagon. Great ride.