Used 2005 Volvo XC70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo Xc70 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volvo XC70

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )

The best car I have ever owned!
By camnate

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Ok so I baught this vehicle from my brother with 75k, he bought the vehicle with 51k and he had all scheduled maintenance done. I have kept up with the majore ones. I have no idea about the previous owner. This car has never left me stranded and rides like a dream! my wife loves it! 130k miles and still runs/rides perfect. There are the occasional minor fixes that will set you back a few hundred but really. as the car gets older even an extra $1200 year minor fixes is well worth it.. you can drive it for 20 years! The engine is iron clad (2.5 5cy) and it still drives like its on glass. tires are a pain, and MPG could be better but treat it right and will pay dividends!

Favorite Features

AWD, 2.5L 5cy engine, suspension, style, storage, everything!

Suggested Improvements

Find a better tire that will last more than 25k miles. Transmission?? have has a few issues.

Great car, lousy tire options and MPG
By gbs

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my XC70 as a certified used car. I had previously owned an Audi A6 wagon, which was a tank. The Audi drove better at highway speeds, had a vastly superior stereo. But I have to say, I love the Volvo's style, excellent front seats, storage capability. What I don't like: Perelli tires which need to be replaced every 30K miles or so. haven't found a suitable replacement that tire cos will actually put on the car due to safety ratings and sizing issues. And since I do mostly city driving, the mpg is lousy. Overall, glad it was pre- certified. Have saved much $$$ having the dealer take car of stuff. I'd recommend the XC70.

Favorite Features

Front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better tire options. Better MPG

A Winner for the Long (and Large) Haul
By Gail

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this wagon for Michigan winters and it has been wonderful. I hate vans and SUVs so this was a great way to transport kids, snowboards, and weaving looms but then also have some dignity and style. It has been perfectly reliable and made winter driving a joy for this transplant from NC. The only change I'd make is the digital clock that tends to speed up and is difficult to set exactly. The car doesn't get super mileage, but the tradeoff is a heavy, safe and sturdy vehicle that I will keep hopefully as long as my last Volvo (15 years!!) I highly recommend this brand/model and hope it is still a winner in 10 more years.

Favorite Features

Fold-down back seats, extra large washer fluid reservoir, great visibility, and SAFETY

Suggested Improvements

Go back to regular clockface

Disaster
By Polly

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

There is a distinct delay when stepping on the gas pedal which can be a problem pulling out in heavy traffic. This car is truly terrible in the snow, seems to float, not in a good way. Changed the tires and this helped somewhat, but don't buy this car if you live in a snowy part of the country. Had over 100 "faults" in the computer electrical system recently, the dealer says this car is a computer on wheels and after over $500 (no parts in this cost) in computer software downloads cannot say if the problem will ever be totally fixed.

Favorite Features

The ride is fine and plenty of storage. Gas mileage is good for this size car.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo should be able to repair the basic operating systems in the vehicle. Better awd system. Use more universal parts so repairs and replacements are affordable (windshield wipers are a fortune and you must use Volvo wipers).

Best of Volvo
By hcsaun

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my fourth Volvo, which I have been buying new since 1996. My 2005 XC70 is by far the best of all. Its handling is what I like best, so solid in its gripping of all road surfaces. Seating and interior space are top notch. I currently have 30,000+ miles and have not had any maintenance issues, other than those scheduled!!

Favorite Features

High off the road, holds the road, maximum visibility, plenty of power, solid braking

Suggested Improvements

Keep up the good work