Used 2005 Volvo XC70 Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC70 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volvo XC70

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )

Volvo - For Life
By VolvoXCdriver

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved my 2005 Volvo XC70. Everything about the car screamed quality. The swedes know how to build a car - the leather on the seats is very thick, very little plastic is used, and metal covers the exterior of the car. As much as I loved the car, I did have some issues with it. 1st, the siren went out and caused the sunroof to stop working (if you don't believe me, google it), and the check engine light came on once because the gas cap needed to be replaced. Neither of these issues cost very much money to fix, however. The car did have a little over 100,000 miles, so a few repairs are acceptable since Volvo cars will outlast any others if you take care of them. The other thing that I didn't like about the car was its fuel economy. I was averaging 21 MPG - might as well get an XC90. This car is really for those of us who don't buy into the SUV craze, but still need a light off-road vehicle with plenty of cargo space. The thing that really won me over on Volvo was safety. I know that in my XC70, I can rest assured knowing that I drive the safest car in the world. Look up "Volvo saved my life" and read the stories (CAUTION: You will never be able to drive another non-Volvo car if you do this :) I got a great deal on this car so I only bought it to re-sell it, but I ended up falling in love with the car. I would recommend the XC70 to anyone - in fact, I am buying a 2006 XC70 to replace my 2014 Camry Hybrid.

I love my XC70
By Rick Pascal

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

First of all, it's a beautifully styled car, very comfortable and great on gas mileage...27-29 highway and about 22 locally on regular gasoline. Excellent acceleration. Very spacious cargo area. I've had mine since 2005 and have over 115,000 miles; I feel it will go another 115,000 easily. Virtually no maintenance problems. Service recommendations are at 7500 miles but I change oil every 3750 miles. Body is still in fantastic condition; no rust or wear. Leather seats have worn beautifully. I would recommend this car very highly.
The only downside is that I wish there were a compass in the dashboard and a bigger place to hold sunglasses.

Volvo offers a great deal for European Delivery, too. They'll give you two round trip tickets to Gothenberg, Sweden plus a night's stay in a hotel.

They got me "For Life"
By priusdriver101

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I got an excellent deal on this XC70. The ride, seat comfort, power, and space make it the perfect vehicle. I only owned it for 1500 miles (It was an investment), but I am now sold on Volvo. I did have some issues: The siren stopped working (sunroof stopped working too because of this (weird, I know), and the timing belt needed to be replaced. Many people would say that wagons are lame, but this car has POWER. Fuel economy is just like any other Crossover SUV. The style is awesome. I wish mine had the Third row jump seat. And the nav. Great car. I have fallen for them, and now they have me "For Life"!

Seats, space, power, looks.

Make jump seat standard.

The best car I have ever owned!
By camnate

Ok so I baught this vehicle from my brother with 75k,
he bought the vehicle with 51k and he had all scheduled maintenance done. I have kept up with the majore ones. I have no idea about the previous owner. This car has never left me stranded and rides like a dream! my wife loves it! 130k miles and still runs/rides perfect. There are the occasional minor fixes that will set you back a few hundred but really. as the car gets older even an extra $1200 year minor fixes is well worth it..
you can drive it for 20 years! The engine is iron clad (2.5 5cy) and it still drives like its on glass. tires are a pain, and MPG could be better but treat it right and will pay dividends!

AWD, 2.5L 5cy engine, suspension, style, storage, everything!

Find a better tire that will last more than 25k miles. Transmission?? have has a few issues.

Great car, lousy tire options and MPG
By gbs

2005 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my XC70 as a certified used car. I had previously owned an Audi A6 wagon, which was a tank. The Audi drove better at highway speeds, had a vastly superior stereo. But I have to say, I love the Volvo's style, excellent front seats, storage capability. What I don't like: Perelli tires which need to be replaced every 30K miles or so. haven't found a suitable replacement that tire cos will actually put on the car due to safety ratings and sizing issues. And since I do mostly city driving, the mpg is lousy. Overall, glad it was pre- certified. Have saved much $$$ having the dealer take car of stuff. I'd recommend the XC70.

Front seats.