Used 2004 Volvo XC70 Base Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo XC70 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (76 reviews )

2/3 the way through my Volvo lease
By d. from denver

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is very stealth; it performs way better than the image it projects. If you get into the turbo, it will leave most everyone else sitting at the stoplight. Very solid build quality so far (at 30k miles). Maintenance not too bad because the major ones covered under warranty, which they no longer do (cheaped out). Run synthetic oil most the time in it.

I probably would have bought it for the seats alone. volvo could do a good business selling them for use in family rooms! Love the turbo. Like the express down and express up on two front windows. Size is about ideal.

I'd like it all: better performance AND better gas mileage. How about a Volvo hybrid? I think it should have more luxury for the sticker price. Instead they put a 40k sticker on them and routinely discount them 6-8k. At 33k they are a good buy. At 40k, maybe no.

Brillant Wagon
By TM

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is by far, the best car I've ever owned. Great performance, great utilization for a family of four and great style. My family is big in water sports - surf, kayak, etc - the Volvo XC70 is PERFECT.

GPS system and seats.

Extend the back leg room a couple of inches. It's a bit tight.

Best Car I've driven
By Herbal90

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car in Germany after direct comparisons to Mercedes and Audi wagons. Best car I've ever driven and also best value for the features. Military pricing and home shipment was great! Smooth autobahn car, solid as a rock and quiet through 120 mph. Starts to float above 125 mph, but holds a straight line without drift. Very comfortable seats, huge interior space, great controls. Love the rain sensor, heated mirrors (needed both in Germany). My first Volvo and I'm very pleased. My next car (10+ years from now) will also be a Volvo. Since the kids will be bigger, I'll be eyeing the S60R.

Top o-line Volvo stereo. ROCKS!

Forward-facing third row seat.

Best of the Breed
By J.R.

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

With the exeption of mediocre service from the dealer, this is an excellent car. Lots of Winter driving on back roads; good control; comfortable; more interior carrying space that all of the mid-sized SUV's we've driven; no comparison to the XC90 which is tinny and poorly assembled. I've had Jeeps (dumped two before they had 30k), Subaru's (not bad, but just not as good), Pathfinders (the '94 was the bes); Saabs (100 mph up the hill in my drive, standing still); Recommend this car.

Totally comfortable interior Good handling in all conditions Turbo gives me good boost when I need it

Stop putting low mileage "high end" tires on as standard equipment. Wearing out at 30k is ridiculous.

Can't go wrong
By Blake

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Easily the best car Volvo builds, and that's saying a lot. When it comes to value for the dollar, the "Cross Country" can't be beat. There are certainly more expensive and less expensive options out there, but factoring the whole package, it's easy to see why this is such a popular car among middle-class and more affluent buyers. And there is no snobbery that goes with it, like some of those Bavarian makes. You can't go wrong choosing a Volvo "Cross Country".

Turbo-charged 5 cylinder - good performance with decent fuel economy. Rain Sensor Windshield Wipers - reduce driving distraction. GearTronic Transmission - Automatic convenience with manual control. Dual setting seat warmers - Need I explain?

Everything I would have liked to improve on my 2004, was effected in 2005. My loss, but the cosmetic changes were a positive.