Used 2004 Volvo XC70 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo XC70 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (75 reviews )

Bought 2 will buy more
By Volvo almost lost me

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had to dump my 2000 XC because of continuing problems. I almost didn't buy another but my wife wanted to try a new model. I bought a 2004 with 18000 miles. I have to admit. huge change. Good engine power, seats, and lots of room. I have had zero problems with the 2004 and Volvo has kept me around for a few more years. Great in the snow and rain. I actually had to save a friend that got stuck in his Tahoe. Mine just rolled right thru 5 inches of snow, no problem. Hint: you need good tires. XC70 will eat tires if you don't rotate them every 5000 miles.

Engine power, sound system, satellite radio, dealer warranty. great in foul weather. Seats are comfy with lots of adjustments. Fuel mileage about 25-28 mpg.

Darker tint on the rear windows. They are all ready dark, why not make them darker?

Stylish and comfortable
By Mike

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a couple of weeks back, so can't comment on reliability yet, I just gave it the average of the other ratings. My wife and I both had liked our old Volvo 740 station wagon, which even at 18 years was still more pleasant to drive than some midsize cars we recently tested. Therefore, we decided to get another Volvo and don't regret it. Performance is more than adequate. The suspension is actually a bit unrefined; it will tell you exactly about every nook and cranny on the road, but it will never loose composure. The seats are marvellous - after a 5 hours drive, you feel well rested. Most comfortable car I've ever driven.

Design in and out, clear, logical controls, comfortable seats, solid feel.

Refinement of suspension.

A Solid Performer
By Virginia George

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought our 2004 XC70 as a used car with 10,000 miles on the odometer. Over three years of daily driving it, I've become a fan. The car is surprisingly peppy and agile for a station wagon. It maneuvers easily in high-speed rush hour traffic on D.C.'s Beltway. It's an excellent long- distance cruiser. Front seats are exceptionally comfortable for a long- legged driver like me. Auto AC works great, year-round. Overall, the car has been very solid and reliable. However, I've replaced more front headlight bulbs on this car than in my prior five cars combined. Only significant defects -- radio controls, lack of foot space in rear seat, lack of storage in passenger compartment.

Ride and handling, front seats, automatic climate control.

More reliable and longer-lasting headlight bulbs; more storage space in passenger compartment; Michelins instead of Pirelli tires (replaced original tires at 30K miles); simpler, more traditional radio controls; more rear-seat leg room

Needs some work
By walterq

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

A lot of road noise, window seals had to be replaced 2x's, still inadequate. When they replaced window seals, primer damaged paint. Radio and interior music enjoyment is terrible. Bearings (3) went at 51,000 miles, 1000 miles over warranty.

safe, great in snow, rain and slop.

correct gripes in my review above, add elec. motors similar to prius.

Fantastic Car
By Jordan

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the best all-purpose vehicle you can find. It does everything, it's fun to drive, it's safe enough for babies and fast enough for dads. All-wheel drive is the best for all weather conditions I've driven this car through storms, rain, snowstorms, cross country, etc. and never once felt out of control. The turbocharged engine gives a kick when you need it. It has nice clearance for hopping curbs or going offroad. The only semblance of a complaint is that the gas mileage is on the low side, we average 20 mpg in mixed use driving. But it still beats an SUV in that category. If you need an all-purpose vehicle, but want better reliability than an SUV, this is it.

• SUV