Used 2004 Volvo XC70 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo XC70 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (74 reviews )

Stylish and comfortable
By Mike

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a couple of weeks back, so can't comment on reliability yet, I just gave it the average of the other ratings. My wife and I both had liked our old Volvo 740 station wagon, which even at 18 years was still more pleasant to drive than some midsize cars we recently tested. Therefore, we decided to get another Volvo and don't regret it. Performance is more than adequate. The suspension is actually a bit unrefined; it will tell you exactly about every nook and cranny on the road, but it will never loose composure. The seats are marvellous - after a 5 hours drive, you feel well rested. Most comfortable car I've ever driven.

Design in and out, clear, logical controls, comfortable seats, solid feel.

Refinement of suspension.

A Solid Performer
By Virginia George

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought our 2004 XC70 as a used car with 10,000 miles on the odometer. Over three years of daily driving it, I've become a fan. The car is surprisingly peppy and agile for a station wagon. It maneuvers easily in high-speed rush hour traffic on D.C.'s Beltway. It's an excellent long- distance cruiser. Front seats are exceptionally comfortable for a long- legged driver like me. Auto AC works great, year-round. Overall, the car has been very solid and reliable. However, I've replaced more front headlight bulbs on this car than in my prior five cars combined. Only significant defects -- radio controls, lack of foot space in rear seat, lack of storage in passenger compartment.

Ride and handling, front seats, automatic climate control.

More reliable and longer-lasting headlight bulbs; more storage space in passenger compartment; Michelins instead of Pirelli tires (replaced original tires at 30K miles); simpler, more traditional radio controls; more rear-seat leg room

Needs some work
By walterq

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

A lot of road noise, window seals had to be replaced 2x's, still inadequate. When they replaced window seals, primer damaged paint. Radio and interior music enjoyment is terrible. Bearings (3) went at 51,000 miles, 1000 miles over warranty.

safe, great in snow, rain and slop.

correct gripes in my review above, add elec. motors similar to prius.

Fantastic Car
By Jordan

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the best all-purpose vehicle you can find. It does everything, it's fun to drive, it's safe enough for babies and fast enough for dads. All-wheel drive is the best for all weather conditions I've driven this car through storms, rain, snowstorms, cross country, etc. and never once felt out of control. The turbocharged engine gives a kick when you need it. It has nice clearance for hopping curbs or going offroad. The only semblance of a complaint is that the gas mileage is on the low side, we average 20 mpg in mixed use driving. But it still beats an SUV in that category. If you need an all-purpose vehicle, but want better reliability than an SUV, this is it.

2004 Volvo XC70
By Tracy

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned! It's safe, comfortable and has a fantastic stereo system. My 2 dogs are safe in the back section and it had all the bells and whistles without having to buy up. My lease ends next year and I'm in the process of purchasing this vehilce early I love it so much, I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a great alternative to an SUV.

Stereo, comfortable seats, reduced road noise sun roof, large side mirrors and heated front seats.

Better cup holders for the back seat and a place to put a kleenex box in the front middle area.