Used 2004 Volvo XC70 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo Xc70 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo XC70

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (73 reviews )

Most Helpful|
AWD Letdown
By 2004 XC Owner

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Been a great car for commuting; awesomely comfortable. AWD power to rear wheels failed and no warning to alert driver. Discovered when son observed rear wheels not spining on icy driveway. Discovered after warranty expired; $2600 repair cost & 3+ wks @ dealer waiting for parts. All the while we've had 3 snowstorms in that time, which is one of the reasons I bought AWD. Not a happy camper. We've been Volvo family for long time (3 V-series in household now); not sure I'll buy another. BTW, Volvo isn't only mfr w/AWD problems - do internet search on "AWD problems"

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride on long highway roadtrips; you could drive forever with those seats! Tracks very true on highway. Cargo area storage for groceries is handy. Plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

Interior storage is awkward. Provide electronic warning when AWD fails. OEM Pirelli tires have not so great treadlife; offer alternatives.

What a great Car
By Kevin

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I was looking for a decent used AWD car for the winter. I purchased this XC70 and I'm totally blown away. I like this 2004 XC70 better than my New 2009 Honda accord. Wish i had bought a volvo sooner..XC70 wagon is a great addition..

Favorite Features

AWD, The turbo engine, Auto wippers, Seat are rediculously comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The fadding of trim..

Beware of the Bills
By NeverAgain

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The Xc-70 has been a very expensive car to repair with many part failures conveniently occurring right after warranty expiration. Dealer promised to cover but then reneged. Will never deal with Volvo again. Brakes on car are poor full replacement every 30K miles. Would expect more from the safest car in the world. Many other cars that are quieter, better mileage and overall more reliable than this. Deeply disgusted

Stylish and comfortable
By Mike

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a couple of weeks back, so can't comment on reliability yet, I just gave it the average of the other ratings. My wife and I both had liked our old Volvo 740 station wagon, which even at 18 years was still more pleasant to drive than some midsize cars we recently tested. Therefore, we decided to get another Volvo and don't regret it. Performance is more than adequate. The suspension is actually a bit unrefined; it will tell you exactly about every nook and cranny on the road, but it will never loose composure. The seats are marvellous - after a 5 hours drive, you feel well rested. Most comfortable car I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

Design in and out, clear, logical controls, comfortable seats, solid feel.

Suggested Improvements

Refinement of suspension.

I am in love with my car
By tsumami

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I recently was lucky enough to find a 2004 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD with only 71K miles , fully loaded and in near mint condition. I have driven Volvos in the past and have wanted another one for years, the XC70 has been on my wish list since that model became available. I was truly amazed by the fact that it handles like a sports car but has the practicality of a station wagon. It handles like a dream on bad roads and gets amazing fuel mileage for this type of vehicle. I recently took it on a road trip and got 31 mpg with the a/c on and driving 75 mph. It is obvious that the former owner took very good care of the vehicle so I was very lucky to find it.

Favorite Features

Amazing acceleration with just a small tap of the accelerator, excellent fuel mileage for it's type, sports car handling, doors are still very solid for a 7 year old car, tight turning radius, comfortable ride and excellently equipped. Look forward to the heated front seats this winter and the excellent handling in bad weather. I was caught in a torrential downpour while driving it and it handled like a dream. The sound system is superb and being a bit older, it has CD and cassette. I also love the fact that it has all the excellent safety features that make Volvo famous. It is also wide enough that my drag queen shoulders do not touch my lumberjack sized husband's shoulders while driving.