Used 2004 Volvo XC70 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo XC70 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (74 reviews )

I"d buy another one !
By Kelster2

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall good solid vehicle. I went from a mercedes to this volvo. Volvo is more comfortable for my commute and more practical for all those trips to costo and the nursery and the vet.

Front seat comfort, gas mileage - almost 27 mpg on hwy - amazing for a wagon. safety, comfortable on long trips.

headlamp bulbs burn out often, rear hatchback is hard to open, check engine, repairs & service are pricey

Beware of the Bills
By NeverAgain

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The Xc-70 has been a very expensive car to repair with many part failures conveniently occurring right after warranty expiration. Dealer promised to cover but then reneged. Will never deal with Volvo again. Brakes on car are poor full replacement every 30K miles. Would expect more from the safest car in the world. Many other cars that are quieter, better mileage and overall more reliable than this. Deeply disgusted

AWD Letdown
By 2004 XC Owner

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Been a great car for commuting; awesomely comfortable. AWD power to rear wheels failed and no warning to alert driver. Discovered when son observed rear wheels not spining on icy driveway. Discovered after warranty expired; $2600 repair cost & 3+ wks @ dealer waiting for parts. All the while we've had 3 snowstorms in that time, which is one of the reasons I bought AWD. Not a happy camper. We've been Volvo family for long time (3 V-series in household now); not sure I'll buy another. BTW, Volvo isn't only mfr w/AWD problems - do internet search on "AWD problems"

Very comfortable ride on long highway roadtrips; you could drive forever with those seats! Tracks very true on highway. Cargo area storage for groceries is handy. Plenty of power.

Interior storage is awkward. Provide electronic warning when AWD fails. OEM Pirelli tires have not so great treadlife; offer alternatives.

Electrical problems frequent
By Rossthewrench

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this wagon used, it was always serviced by Volvo, and highway driven by female doctor. The condition was showroom. One week after purchasing, the information centre packed it in. Dealer said it was out of warranty. Cost to replace roughly 1200. So we said to forget it. Next month the instrument panel shut down, no guages at all, no speedometer either. Had the local garage change battery. Was OK, now it is back again. Nothing on instrument panel again. Now we just guess how fast we are going, fill the gas tank often, and hope we are right. Oh, the airbag info light came on just after we got it, neighbour Volvo same problem No warranty. Mechanically is good car,electrics terrible.

All wheel drive great. Engine oil always golden. Quiet on road, handles well. Good appearance. Brakes will put you out the window! Bravo!

Get someone to design an elecrical system that can last longer than 100,000 miles.

Bought 2 will buy more
By Volvo almost lost me

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had to dump my 2000 XC because of continuing problems. I almost didn't buy another but my wife wanted to try a new model. I bought a 2004 with 18000 miles. I have to admit. huge change. Good engine power, seats, and lots of room. I have had zero problems with the 2004 and Volvo has kept me around for a few more years. Great in the snow and rain. I actually had to save a friend that got stuck in his Tahoe. Mine just rolled right thru 5 inches of snow, no problem. Hint: you need good tires. XC70 will eat tires if you don't rotate them every 5000 miles.

Engine power, sound system, satellite radio, dealer warranty. great in foul weather. Seats are comfy with lots of adjustments. Fuel mileage about 25-28 mpg.

Darker tint on the rear windows. They are all ready dark, why not make them darker?