2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (73 reviews )
do not buy this car . beware it is deadly dangerous.
By goodbye on 03/20/13 00:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

i own an 850@450,000 km. needed 2nd car, found a 2004 XC70@65,000 from Volvo dealership. thinking this is going to be great. Read the full review

I am in love with my car
By tsumami on 08/12/11 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I recently was lucky enough to find a 2004 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD with only 71K miles , fully loaded and in near mint condition. I have driven Volvos in the past and have wanted another one for years, the XC70 has been on my wish list since that model became available. I was truly amazed by the fact that it handles like a sports car but has the practicality of a station wagon. It handles like a dream on bad roads and gets amazing fuel mileage for this type of vehicle. I recently took it on a road trip and got 31 mpg with the a/c on and driving 75 mph. It is obvious that the former owner took very good care of the vehicle so I was very lucky to find it.

What a great Car
By Kevin on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I was looking for a decent used AWD car for the winter. I purchased this XC70 and I'm totally blown away. I like this 2004 XC70 better than my New 2009 Honda accord. Wish i had bought a volvo sooner..XC70 wagon is a great addition..

Great Car
By papatony on 01/15/10 09:20 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought it used with 92kmiles. This car is probably the best I have owned (VW, BMW, Toyota, Honda and Infiniti). The key is that it is a car that can be everything (sports car, station wagon, SUV, etc.). It drive fantastic and gives you a great sense of comfort and safety. It grips the road and goes. In the big snowstorm we just had, it sped forward regardless of the amount of snow on the road.

I"d buy another one !
By Kelster2 on 07/24/09 21:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall good solid vehicle. I went from a mercedes to this volvo. Volvo is more comfortable for my commute and more practical for all those trips to costo and the nursery and the vet.

Beware of the Bills
By NeverAgain on 03/01/09 10:29 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The Xc-70 has been a very expensive car to repair with many part failures conveniently occurring right after warranty expiration. Dealer promised to cover but then reneged. Will never deal with Volvo again. Brakes on car are poor full replacement every 30K miles. Would expect more from the safest car in the world. Many other cars that are quieter, better mileage and overall more reliable than this. Deeply disgusted

AWD Letdown
By 2004 XC Owner on 02/04/09 13:56 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Been a great car for commuting; awesomely comfortable. AWD power to rear wheels failed and no warning to alert driver. Discovered when son observed rear wheels not spining on icy driveway. Discovered after warranty expired; $2600 repair cost & 3+ wks @ dealer waiting for parts. All the while we've had 3 snowstorms in that time, which is one of the reasons I bought AWD. Not a happy camper. We've been Volvo family for long time (3 V-series in household now); not sure I'll buy another. BTW, Volvo isn't only mfr w/AWD problems - do internet search on "AWD problems"

Electrical problems frequent
By Rossthewrench on 12/28/08 11:21 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this wagon used, it was always serviced by Volvo, and highway driven by female doctor. The condition was showroom. One week after purchasing, the information centre packed it in. Dealer said it was out of warranty. Cost to replace roughly 1200. So we said to forget it. Next month the instrument panel shut down, no guages at all, no speedometer either. Had the local garage change battery. Was OK, now it is back again. Nothing on instrument panel again. Now we just guess how fast we are going, fill the gas tank often, and hope we are right. Oh, the airbag info light came on just after we got it, neighbour Volvo same problem No warranty. Mechanically is good car,electrics terrible.

Bought 2 will buy more
By Volvo almost lost me on 11/22/08 09:44 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had to dump my 2000 XC because of continuing problems. I almost didn't buy another but my wife wanted to try a new model. I bought a 2004 with 18000 miles. I have to admit. huge change. Good engine power, seats, and lots of room. I have had zero problems with the 2004 and Volvo has kept me around for a few more years. Great in the snow and rain. I actually had to save a friend that got stuck in his Tahoe. Mine just rolled right thru 5 inches of snow, no problem. Hint: you need good tires. XC70 will eat tires if you don't rotate them every 5000 miles.

Stylish and comfortable
By Mike on 10/18/08 13:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a couple of weeks back, so can't comment on reliability yet, I just gave it the average of the other ratings. My wife and I both had liked our old Volvo 740 station wagon, which even at 18 years was still more pleasant to drive than some midsize cars we recently tested. Therefore, we decided to get another Volvo and don't regret it. Performance is more than adequate. The suspension is actually a bit unrefined; it will tell you exactly about every nook and cranny on the road, but it will never loose composure. The seats are marvellous - after a 5 hours drive, you feel well rested. Most comfortable car I've ever driven.