2004 Volvo XC70 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo Xc70 - Consumer Reviews

2004 XC70 Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (73 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

do not buy this car . beware it is deadly dangerous.
By goodbye

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

i own an 850@450,000 km. needed 2nd car, found a 2004 XC70@65,000 from Volvo dealership. thinking this is going to be great.

Favorite Features

lots of leg room , nice leather, before all the electrical problems awesome in bad weather. i was so proud of my car . my dream car was the XC70. i am so sad this happened. when i bought it i thought this is going to be my car forever . i thought i would never have to buy another car. i have never been sad about a car before. i never write reviews. this car almost killed me more than once. i was scared when my wife drove it with the kids in it. i had to get rid of it to have piece of mind.

Suggested Improvements

recycle it.

I am in love with my car
By tsumami

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I recently was lucky enough to find a 2004 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD with only 71K miles , fully loaded and in near mint condition. I have driven Volvos in the past and have wanted another one for years, the XC70 has been on my wish list since that model became available. I was truly amazed by the fact that it handles like a sports car but has the practicality of a station wagon. It handles like a dream on bad roads and gets amazing fuel mileage for this type of vehicle. I recently took it on a road trip and got 31 mpg with the a/c on and driving 75 mph. It is obvious that the former owner took very good care of the vehicle so I was very lucky to find it.

Favorite Features

Amazing acceleration with just a small tap of the accelerator, excellent fuel mileage for it's type, sports car handling, doors are still very solid for a 7 year old car, tight turning radius, comfortable ride and excellently equipped. Look forward to the heated front seats this winter and the excellent handling in bad weather. I was caught in a torrential downpour while driving it and it handled like a dream. The sound system is superb and being a bit older, it has CD and cassette. I also love the fact that it has all the excellent safety features that make Volvo famous. It is also wide enough that my drag queen shoulders do not touch my lumberjack sized husband's shoulders while driving.

What a great Car
By Kevin

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I was looking for a decent used AWD car for the winter. I purchased this XC70 and I'm totally blown away. I like this 2004 XC70 better than my New 2009 Honda accord. Wish i had bought a volvo sooner..XC70 wagon is a great addition..

Favorite Features

AWD, The turbo engine, Auto wippers, Seat are rediculously comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The fadding of trim..

Great Car
By papatony

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought it used with 92kmiles. This car is probably the best I have owned (VW, BMW, Toyota, Honda and Infiniti). The key is that it is a car that can be everything (sports car, station wagon, SUV, etc.). It drive fantastic and gives you a great sense of comfort and safety. It grips the road and goes. In the big snowstorm we just had, it sped forward regardless of the amount of snow on the road.

Favorite Features

Safety, comfort, stability, style, space.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could/should be better.

I"d buy another one !
By Kelster2

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall good solid vehicle. I went from a mercedes to this volvo. Volvo is more comfortable for my commute and more practical for all those trips to costo and the nursery and the vet.

Favorite Features

Front seat comfort, gas mileage - almost 27 mpg on hwy - amazing for a wagon. safety, comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

headlamp bulbs burn out often, rear hatchback is hard to open, check engine, repairs & service are pricey

Beware of the Bills
By NeverAgain

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The Xc-70 has been a very expensive car to repair with many part failures conveniently occurring right after warranty expiration. Dealer promised to cover but then reneged. Will never deal with Volvo again. Brakes on car are poor full replacement every 30K miles. Would expect more from the safest car in the world. Many other cars that are quieter, better mileage and overall more reliable than this. Deeply disgusted

AWD Letdown
By 2004 XC Owner

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Been a great car for commuting; awesomely comfortable. AWD power to rear wheels failed and no warning to alert driver. Discovered when son observed rear wheels not spining on icy driveway. Discovered after warranty expired; $2600 repair cost & 3+ wks @ dealer waiting for parts. All the while we've had 3 snowstorms in that time, which is one of the reasons I bought AWD. Not a happy camper. We've been Volvo family for long time (3 V-series in household now); not sure I'll buy another. BTW, Volvo isn't only mfr w/AWD problems - do internet search on "AWD problems"

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride on long highway roadtrips; you could drive forever with those seats! Tracks very true on highway. Cargo area storage for groceries is handy. Plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

Interior storage is awkward. Provide electronic warning when AWD fails. OEM Pirelli tires have not so great treadlife; offer alternatives.

Electrical problems frequent
By Rossthewrench

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this wagon used, it was always serviced by Volvo, and highway driven by female doctor. The condition was showroom. One week after purchasing, the information centre packed it in. Dealer said it was out of warranty. Cost to replace roughly 1200. So we said to forget it. Next month the instrument panel shut down, no guages at all, no speedometer either. Had the local garage change battery. Was OK, now it is back again. Nothing on instrument panel again. Now we just guess how fast we are going, fill the gas tank often, and hope we are right. Oh, the airbag info light came on just after we got it, neighbour Volvo same problem No warranty. Mechanically is good car,electrics terrible.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive great. Engine oil always golden. Quiet on road, handles well. Good appearance. Brakes will put you out the window! Bravo!

Suggested Improvements

Get someone to design an elecrical system that can last longer than 100,000 miles.

Bought 2 will buy more
By Volvo almost lost me

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had to dump my 2000 XC because of continuing problems. I almost didn't buy another but my wife wanted to try a new model. I bought a 2004 with 18000 miles. I have to admit. huge change. Good engine power, seats, and lots of room. I have had zero problems with the 2004 and Volvo has kept me around for a few more years. Great in the snow and rain. I actually had to save a friend that got stuck in his Tahoe. Mine just rolled right thru 5 inches of snow, no problem. Hint: you need good tires. XC70 will eat tires if you don't rotate them every 5000 miles.

Favorite Features

Engine power, sound system, satellite radio, dealer warranty. great in foul weather. Seats are comfy with lots of adjustments. Fuel mileage about 25-28 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Darker tint on the rear windows. They are all ready dark, why not make them darker?

Stylish and comfortable
By Mike

2004 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a couple of weeks back, so can't comment on reliability yet, I just gave it the average of the other ratings. My wife and I both had liked our old Volvo 740 station wagon, which even at 18 years was still more pleasant to drive than some midsize cars we recently tested. Therefore, we decided to get another Volvo and don't regret it. Performance is more than adequate. The suspension is actually a bit unrefined; it will tell you exactly about every nook and cranny on the road, but it will never loose composure. The seats are marvellous - after a 5 hours drive, you feel well rested. Most comfortable car I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

Design in and out, clear, logical controls, comfortable seats, solid feel.

Suggested Improvements

Refinement of suspension.