2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (52 reviews )
Lovin It!
By DFox on 05/30/08 09:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Being a SUV/pick-up gal I wanted something sporty but a little beefy. The XC70 has a luxury/sports car feel with some of the perks of an SUV. I love the tiptronic shifting as I had that in my BMW (okay, I broke down and a bought a car a couple of years ago!). The gas mileage averages 21.5 in town; much better than my last SUV!

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Bwana on 03/09/08 06:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second and last Volvo. My first Volvo (V40) was excellent and when we decided to buy a a new car, we went for another Volvo. Big mistake!! Nothing but problems (two engine breakdowns within 24 hours of each other, carpeting cut wrong - had to be replaced, battery and headlight failure in 1st 6 months of ownership. Cheap interior componments which break - radio knobs, control of electric rearview mirrors. Integrated cell phone suddenly quit working. Stitching coming off seats and shift knobs, etc.

Happy, so far
By kpsailor on 12/14/07 10:39 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this Volvo as a family car (2nd owner, had 57,000 miles), and to add a bit of utility to my garage; so far, so good. It is a comfy car, which makes rather good MPG, considering the size, and has been reliable. It is less rugged as the images may show, but that is not the point anyway. It accomplishes what it sets out to be, a comfortable wagon with more utility than most.

Versatile Wagon
By Corvallis on 09/29/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo XC70 was a huge upgrade for us - more safety, more comfort, more space, more reliability. My wife and I still really like this car. We justify the expense by having it as the only regular driver. Also more cost to purchase and I dread the first major repairs given the Volvo reputation. Friends say "expensive to fix, but worth fixing". Mileage is good for AWD, but the 99% use pattern as a commuter/road car makes the AWD hard to justify. Hope to use AWD more often in future. Great road trip car, very comfortable. Get about 20-22 mpg city/~26 mpg hwy. So far (over 4 years) haven't had major mechanical problems. Hoping this car lasts a long time - shooting for 15 years.

VERY Disappointed
By VERYdisappointed on 06/22/07 15:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We were thrilled to purchase our '03 Volvo XC70 but the excitement didn't last! One thing after another went wrong with the wagon... one year after buying it, the ignition went (sometimes the key would come out, other times it was stuck!)! The ball joints, brakes and rotars were shot. How many times do you have to replace a headlight bulb?!! The straw that broke the camels back: the angle bracket, which cost $2,500!! The car was constantly in the shop, and it was never inexpensive to repair!! We bought this as our family car... Volvo for life? We finally got rid of it and bought a Toyota Highlander Limited!!

XC Volvo Motor problems++++++++
By dqman on 03/08/07 11:42 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car has been trouble since day one,electrical problems, front end trouble, and now a new motor with only 130,000 km. It has been towed 3 times back to the dealer. Once I receive my car back (it has been in the shop over a week) it is going over to the Honda dealer to be traded on a new Pilot. Customer service has gone out the window at Volvo I am renting a car now for a week and no help from volvo or the dealer is that how they build customer loyalty.

XC70 SUV ESTATE
By Andrew Bancroft on 05/12/06 10:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I like the V70 but I need an SUV and a car to carry the motorcycles and Heavy equipment for work. Can't have the XC90 too BIG. Just in between the XC70. Come with Glorius ride comfort brilliant handling and is a luxurious car. so good I have already ordered my 2007 model XC70.

Our '03 XC70 is outstanding!
By Hugo on 06/01/05 12:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We are the second owner at 13,000 miles, bought it pre-certified with a 100K warranty and now have close to 26,000 miles. The car has not given us any problems at all, it has peformed extremely well in mostly heavy, city, Dallas TX driving; though the Pirelli Scorpion STR tires need to be replaced (don't recommend V-rated tires) at $150 a tire. The A/C is outstanding in 100 degree temps and still get 19 mpg in the city. We compared this vehicle to the Audi All- Road & BMW Wagons, both were over- priced; and the Range Rover which had too many poor maintenance & gas mileage reviews. The light turbo has plenty of kick (210 hp), we're very happy with the overall performance of the Volvo XC70!

Wish I didn't get it...
By PBissonette on 12/22/04 00:34 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

1) The washer reservoir was not hooked up. 2) Tire failed at 1500 miles, 3) a 73 year old man shut a door with his hip and bashed it in, 4) car electrical system failed at 20,000, 6) both headlights went out at 38,000, 6) replaced tie rod and bushings and tires at 40,000. I expect more.

Underwhelmed
By John in Calgary on 12/14/04 05:33 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2003 Volvo XC 70 about 18 months ago and have been pretty underwhelmed. The car looks fine but is very underpowered for a $50,000 (Cdn) premium wagon. The handling is also terrible and the fit and finish leave something to be desired. It is comfortable but the other short comings are just too much. The new 2005 Outback is a much better vehicle with way better performance, handling and hauling capabilities - for $10,000 less (Cdn).