2003 Volvo XC70 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (52 reviews )
NEVER AGAIN!
By NYArtist on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I just purchased a 2003 XC with 130,000 miles. I have loved my 93 volvo wagon but decided it was time for something new. The mechanic checked it out but the fist day I drove it, today, the car wouldn't start. Low Engine Response. I may need a new engine. This is a the mother of all car nightmares. Never again Volvo. I'm done with you!

comfort
By saad on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

nice to drive it had 63,000.00 mile. since i drove another 50,000.00 mile lovlely at snow . small miner repair here and there. they never more than $400.00 ayear. well if the car more than 5 yr. thats is normal. I will keep the car another 5yr untill is 200,000.00

My 03 XC/70
By VersitileTransport on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

2nd owner, got the dealer history before I purchased...no major problems to start. Added heavy duty sways & end links (really helps handling), cool-air intake, chipped it, 3" down pipe, race-cat and 3" all the way back. It's now a fast, TURBO, versatile SUV. I can beat most any ricer before it get crazy and ride in style, haul my drums in any weather. SAFE! Flush your trans now, change oil every 3k, change timing belt, pinion gear oil. Do as much schedule maint. as you can yourself. Check underneath for leaks, don't ignore warning lights. Better yet get a code reader. I've had my share of little PIA stuff but nothing I can't learn to handle. Stay away from the stealership!

Just a great car
By Jim on 07/25/10 17:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

It's just a great comfortable and reliable car.I have put 150,000 miles on this car and it has never let me down. Amazing room for three kids and large dog which I bought a Walmart gate to keep him contained in the back.The very best car in snow, I've had jeeps and all others and nothing compares to the xc.

Don't leave without extended service con
By bakerman on 03/22/10 10:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my used 2003 XC Volvo with thee highest of hopes!! Aaarrrrgh, my bad. Most comfortable car that I have ever driven and great in the snow but.... The ever so slight noise that I didn't recognize was the AC going bad, which of course, went bad just as my used purchase warranty expired! Boo, my bad again, I didn't purchase an extended warranty. Next, my car computer went bad so the cluster wouldn't quite giving me messages. This was a few months later!! I'm up to ~$3000 in repairs and I haven't owned the car for a year yet! I talked with the shop service manager. He talked like this should be common knowledge about Volvos! He said that his the same problem..it was a 2006 XC!

253,400 miles and still in the passing
By Chris from Norwood on 03/21/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

253,400 miles and still in the passing lane! I love my 2003 XC70. I am almost at 300,000 miles and the engine's performance is that of a young and vibrant one - the car is absolutely safe, an easy to handle vehicle and I Love my Volvo XC 70!

Volvo Engine Seizing due to sludge
By BeetleBaby on 03/07/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My Volvo wagon was ok until my engine SEIZED from sludge buildup at only 49000 miles. I had ALL oil and maintenance done 100% at the dealership and per their schedule This could be a problem with them all. Be very careful and ask about sludge and have them check for it. Having your oil changed regularly does not help, there is a problem with the engine running too hot in relation to the pollution control devices which basically cooks the oil to sludge.

Please keep running
By Costly repair on 11/24/08 20:45 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought that I had found the right car and for all its good qualities, I find that it eats front end parts, tires, head light bulbs and is too complicated for the servicing dealer(not the point of purchase dealer). So far the car starts everytime, but with angle gear replacement, brake booster failure, and miscelleanous odds and sods, I have enjoyed the $8,000+ repairs covered by the extended warranty ZI bought. The fit & finish however are superb, the ride is the best barco lounger for the long haul.. nobody makes a better seat. Funny though, for all I was told about "Boron" steel when I bought the car, a recent hail storm has told me it's not as strong as was suggested by the salesman

Owner of Two XC70s speaks
By mbrown on 09/01/08 10:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased 2 XC70s over a year ago and have only excellent things to report. Purchased the ext warranty on both. Had a problem with the transmission on one, but the dealer stuck with the issue and eventually changed the entire transmission for a new one, not a rebuild. Since then we have clocked over 50K each on both vehicles and have only had routine service done. I have run through snow so deep that it was at the top of my tires while hitting remote areas for cross country skiing and snow shoeing. Cars sit out all winter and both start at first crack of the key. Winter temps of -28C so far. A/C works great, sometimes above 40 C in Kamloops' summers.

XC70 Electrical Problems
By Deb on 08/14/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

What a dissapiontment! This car has been in the shop 6 times in the two years I've had it for electrical problems around the SRS airbag system and the DIM. I got it at 46k. It was at the dealers for 5 weeks last month. Dx: "We don't know what's wrong with your car. But, we got the SRS warning light to go out for you!" I have no confidence in the car or the dealer at this point. Plan to trade it in and get another Honda. Also, the dealer cannot seem to decide if synthetic oil is the best choice. They have used both. Do not get your fingertips in the way of the front doors during closure. Amputation risk!