2012 Volvo XC60 Consumer Review: Impeccable road manners; a few

2012 Volvo XC60 - Consumer Review

Impeccable road manners; a few minor nits
By drat19 on

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded in an '06 Acura TL for my new 2012 XC60 T6AWD because I needed some cargo carrying space but in a compact/midsize package whose cockpit could still accommodate my tall/big body. Acura RDX was a finalist but then when I looked at the Volvo XC60 found too much more to like, especially the performance of the T6, and versatile interior. My first 2000 mile road trip revealed a few minor nits (somewhat tight footwell space, a few bugs in the new Sensus system, quirky nav system), but the XC60's impeccable road manners overcome these nits...it's such a smooth performer with the T6, cargo capacity is superior for this size/segment, and the handling is also good for a relatively tall CUV.

T6 power plant...you press the gas and it responds "Yessir!" (or "Yes ma'am!") - I've already gotten one speeding ticket after 2 weeks of ownership. Driver's and passenger's seat comfort (except for the tight footwell space). Impeccable road manners. Climate control system. Interior fit and finish. Versatile interior and cargo capability. Volvo Safe-n-Secure scheduled maintenance.

Left foot area ("dead pedal" area) is tight; this isn't obvious during a test drive but on a longer road trip becomes obvious, especially if you're a tall/big driver like me. Sensus system is still new and working out some bugs; I've run into a couple of issues that could only be resolved/cleared by an ignition power down/restart, but I will report these to Volvo and they will hopefully be resolved in a future update. Nav system works well but I wish the maps showed better detail on road and town names when zoomed out to wider views. Wish they hadn't sacrificed the front fog lamps when they utilized that lower front space for other components.