I'd love it if my back weren't killing me!
By nelsoncm on
2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)
I was opting for something different from the series of wagons I'd been in over the past 12 years. Saab, the maker of my past two wagons, was out of business, so I looked to the other Swede. The looks of the XC60 got me curious and all I had to do was put my foot to the floor on the test drive, and I was hooked on the performance of this car. It's solid feeling, gorgeous inside and out and the warranty was impressive. Plus I got $1000 off for staying with a Swede. But my back and leg are killing me every time I drive it and for a few hours after. Methinks it's going to be a very expensive trade-in for either a Volvo or Audi wagon.
Favorite Features
performance, safety features, awesome sound system, nice albeit a little confusing tech interface, fairly roomy for a small family.
Suggested Improvements
This is the R-type, meaning sports suspension and sports seats......over-bolstering on the seat bottom pushes into the back of my thigh, plus the overly firm cushioning on the back and bottom is not pleasant for me. Didn't feel it on my test drives, so who knew? 'm not the only xc60 R owner to have issues with these seats although some say they like them. Do yourself a favor, look at the T6 XC60 (not the R-type). Seats are flatter, interior a little more bland but still nice and it's still very powerful. Also the car sits a little too high and the back seats are a tad shallow to be dog friendly for my 70 lb poodle.
By nelsoncm
on 04/23/13 15:33 PM (PDT)

Ended up trading for a gently pre-owned Acura MDX -- also a 2012 model. I decided to go a bit bigger than a 5-seater ( the third row in the Acura is already too small for my big kid, but the cargo area is good sized) and I decided I really didn't want to stay with Volvo. I wanted more vehicle for my money than I would get with the wagon, and that City Safety program is annoying and possibly dangerous (stopped suddenly on me 3 times). The MDX has supple and roomy seats, a roomier backseat and will hopefully be a reliable, comfortable car and more pleasant on long drives.