Used 2012 Volvo XC60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volvo XC60

View reviews for a specific XC60 model:

Disappointed
By Amber Moceri

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I loved my XC60 when I purchased it new in 2012. I've put 40k miles on it since then, and it is at the dealer for warranty work for the 4th time. It has currently been there for 5 weeks with no diagnosis, but I received word they would be rebuilding the entire engine currently. It would keep warning the engine oil was low, however when checked the levels were fine. I expected this vehicle to last me another 10 years, but at this rate, I can't risk the warranty running out. It drives great and is comfortable for what I need, but the reliability is questionable.

Skip the Tech Package
By mms34cougar

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car! It is fast (even with 87 octane gas), my back has never felt better (the seats are firmer than non R-Design seats), the premium sound is great, and with the Red R-Design we get compliments on the looks at least once a week. The tech package is amazing when it is not broken. We have had it in the shop 4x with a complete replacement & sensors that stop working. Also, if you travel in snowy climates the parking distance, blind spot, collision & adaptive cruise can stop working due to ice build-up on your grill, bumper, and side window cameras. We get combined City (30%) /Hwy (70%) Mileage of 21.7 over the past 6 months.

Favorite Features

Looks Great. Fast and Nimble. 87 Octane Gas. Interior Look and Feel. Seats are firm and supportive. R-Design Extras. Safety Features. Premium Sound.

Suggested Improvements

Tech Package has Quality Issues.

I'd love it if my back weren't killing me!
By nelsoncm

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I was opting for something different from the series of wagons I'd been in over the past 12 years. Saab, the maker of my past two wagons, was out of business, so I looked to the other Swede. The looks of the XC60 got me curious and all I had to do was put my foot to the floor on the test drive, and I was hooked on the performance of this car. It's solid feeling, gorgeous inside and out and the warranty was impressive. Plus I got $1000 off for staying with a Swede. But my back and leg are killing me every time I drive it and for a few hours after. Methinks it's going to be a very expensive trade-in for either a Volvo or Audi wagon.

Favorite Features

performance, safety features, awesome sound system, nice albeit a little confusing tech interface, fairly roomy for a small family.

Suggested Improvements

This is the R-type, meaning sports suspension and sports seats......over-bolstering on the seat bottom pushes into the back of my thigh, plus the overly firm cushioning on the back and bottom is not pleasant for me. Didn't feel it on my test drives, so who knew? 'm not the only xc60 R owner to have issues with these seats although some say they like them. Do yourself a favor, look at the T6 XC60 (not the R-type). Seats are flatter, interior a little more bland but still nice and it's still very powerful. Also the car sits a little too high and the back seats are a tad shallow to be dog friendly for my 70 lb poodle.

Myriad electronic problems
By rglambsb

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

we've had numerous intermittent problems with electronic systems in our 2012 XC60 T. It s now with the dealer for the third time, with no fix in sight. Here' a partial list: BLIS system gives false readings most of the time. Problem duplicated by dealers. Nav system reruns message "system not available" . Blue tooth stopped working entirely gate opener either doesn't work or works only within a few feet of the receiver. Key opener either doesn't work at all or requires repeated pushing from about 8 feet. With car runnung, rear seat passenger gets out, and car flashes "key not found". if you put the key in the slot, the engine stops running, which is dangerous. Back up video stays...

Favorite Features

Style, driving

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electronics!

Attractive and fun to drive
By heathholley

2012 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Going from a hybrid sedan to a crossover was an interesting change but I've grown to enjoy my XC60. The vehicle feels very solid, safe, and with a stance like a tiger, grips the road with amazing tenacity!

Favorite Features

The Tech, Navi, BLIS, and Climate packages are amazing! I will never own another car without adaptive cruise control; I've fallen in love with it. I had a few usability issues with Sensus but after a recent software update, everything was quickly fixed by the dealer. I've learned that software updates are quick and effective.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is a little stiff, in my opinion. This is my first crossover/SUV so maybe it's typical.