Used 2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 SUV Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volvo XC60 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volvo XC60 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC60 model:

Love this SUV / Crossover! Better than expected!
By Dave

2011 Volvo XC60 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I'd recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a nice vehicle (Family or not). I am a new father and needed a family car so the Mustang had to go. My wife wanted the Volvo for it's superior safety rating and I liked the looks. Turns out this vehicle handles almost as good as my Mustang! Not SUV like at all, as it has a nice suspension and very confident handling. Power is not bad at all with the 3.2L non-turbo engine as it likes to rev, can only imagine the turbo would be much more fun. I'm getting 21.5 mpg with all local driving and winter idling which was the most my V6 Mustang could make with mixed highway/city. The seats are very comfortable and the build is much better than the Ford I traded from. I'll keep you updated as I drive it.

Beware the OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUE
By mark

2011 Volvo XC60 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Beware of the oil consumption issue. Bought a new 2011 xc60 turbo. After a few years, noticed that i needed to add a quart of oil between 5000 mile oil changes.
didn't think much of it. Only to learn, after it was beyond the warranty the oil needed to be added at more and more frequency.
After doing some research... "simply google Volvo oil consumption", then you begin to learn...

After complaining to Volvo, they offered to look at it.. after about $1500 in repairs, noting offering to change my oil trap (which i told them was already repaired and paid for), they said they did some necessary computer adjustments, and I must also purchase a new dipstick for the oil??? Didn't know why I would need a new dipstick??
After getting my next oil change 5000 miles later (happily with no new warnings of low oil level), my mechanic informed me that the car now takes 8 quarts of oil, instead of 7, and the new dipstick won't trigger the computer to state low oil level.

WOW..... look elsewhere or do your research

Go for a long test drive
By missi4

2011 Volvo XC60 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

After a week of driving the XC60, I noticed a problem with the transmission, a hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop/speeding up to pass etc. Like driving manual transmission in the wrong gear. Took it for service repetedly. Volvo wouldn't admit a problem and told me to use premium fuel. One mechanic said it's a 5000lb car you have to gun it (!!). Finally they said they knew what was wrong and to wait for a software update, that took 6 months. It helped but the problem was still there. Volvo went back to saying there was nothing wrong with the car. After a year, I had had it and asked how much they would give me for the car to end this, Carmax gave me more. The GPS stinks too.

It is a beautiful car, very luxurious. Maybe even more so than the BMW I owned previously. It's a good care for short people too.

Transmission problems! GPS was worse than the car I had owned before it and that one was seven years old. Also, they put the controls for it on the back of the steering wheel and they give you a remote for it because they know that the controls are so ridiculous! I now owned seven cars in my life, Japanese, German and American and this is the only one I have had any problem with at all. I didn't have the time or energy to persue the lemon law otherwise I would have.

Slick Ride with Great MPG
By newjersey2

2011 Volvo XC60 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Switched from Highlander and have been pleasantly surprised. Averaging 25 mpg in town and on highway by driving sensibly. Outstanding sound system with the NAV package. Not a whole lot of leg room in backseat, but front passenger seat folds down to tote large loads (10ft 2 bys). Not a super amount of off the line grunt, but cruises effortlessly at 80. Only complaint thus far is really dumb key start thingamajig. You can pull out the key and leave the car running inadvertantly, also you can leave accessories running without knowing it. Huh? What is Volvo thinking?

Sound system, handling

Strange key and start button

Satisfied Owner
By rkurlander

2011 Volvo XC60 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

AWD, Premium, Sensus, Multimedia, Convenience, PCC. With 2,000 miles I give the Volvo XC60 an A-.
Vehicle is very solid with excellent build quality.
Performance with the 3.2 engine is good. There is no reason to spend extra for the turbo unless the "rush" is important.
MPH is better than advertised with 20 city and 26.5 highway. Pirelli tires are excellent.

Very comfortable seats. Quiet cabin. Excellent sound system. "Safe and Secure" extended maintenance and warranty at no additional cost. "Regular" gasoline vs. premium for vehicle's competition.

Sensus takes some getting used to, and is a little glitchy. What should be a simple on and off takes too much time. Navigation is ok, but a step down from my expectations and comparable competitive systems. The front seats should be an inch or two longer.