Used 2011 Volvo XC60 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volvo XC60 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC60 model:

A reliable car that I want to like more than I do
By mihali129

2011 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased this car beginning in 2011 and it seemed like a perfect match for me. I wanted an SUV as I need to get to work in even the worst weather conditions. This is my first Swedish car after years of driving German and Japanese makes. The ride itself is firm. The acceleration is excellent with the T6. The XC60's only driving quirk that bothers me is that it has a very peculiar tight turn radius. That's fine if you want to make a U-turn in tight space but it actually takes care not to over-steer when parking. The seats are remarkably comfortable in front and back and that cargo space is good. The electronics and build quality of interior materials leave something to be desired.

-Seats are remarkably comfortable with very good seat warmers. - Acceleration is great. Responsive steering (good and bad). - Very good ground clearance - Quiet at all speeds - Good quality speakers with package - Sunroof has great adjustability and is extra big

-Controls are confusing. I never thought any could be worse than BMW but these are. - Rain-sensing and intermittent wiper settings are nearly useless even after reading the manual. - NAV system is by far the worst I've ever used. Cannot be trusted at all; Tried resetting and updating. Entering an address is about as cumbersome as can be with multiple screens and dial jogging. Once missed a turn and it took me ten miles out of the way just to come back in a circle when any of a number of turns would have worked sooner. -Electronics interface is completely anti-functional. -Plastic molding at driver seat broke off with me getting out of car. I'm only 180 lbs!

Go for a long test drive
By missi4

2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

After a week of driving the XC60, I noticed a problem with the transmission, a hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop/speeding up to pass etc. Like driving manual transmission in the wrong gear. Took it for service repetedly. Volvo wouldn't admit a problem and told me to use premium fuel. One mechanic said it's a 5000lb car you have to gun it (!!). Finally they said they knew what was wrong and to wait for a software update, that took 6 months. It helped but the problem was still there. Volvo went back to saying there was nothing wrong with the car. After a year, I had had it and asked how much they would give me for the car to end this, Carmax gave me more. The GPS stinks too.

It is a beautiful car, very luxurious. Maybe even more so than the BMW I owned previously. It's a good care for short people too.

Transmission problems! GPS was worse than the car I had owned before it and that one was seven years old. Also, they put the controls for it on the back of the steering wheel and they give you a remote for it because they know that the controls are so ridiculous! I now owned seven cars in my life, Japanese, German and American and this is the only one I have had any problem with at all. I didn't have the time or energy to persue the lemon law otherwise I would have.

Great llittle SUV....I stress 'little'
By bhelgesen

2011 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall, this car is a pleasure to drive. With the T6 and AWD it can be a blast. This is my wife's car and she drives it like a soccer mom but when I run out in it, it becomes an animal and is worthy of any road or traffic condition. We came out of two minivans so maybe my expectations were low. For what it's worth, we put our 18 yr old in a 10 year old s40 for safety.

The pickup and torque are my favorite features. comfortable seating although the rear leg room is marginal for grown children.

This is a small SUV in my opinion. Again, coming out of a minivan my expectations were out of line. Tight in the rear seat and not a tremendous amount of rear cargo space but it works.

Best Car I've ever owned
By volvo_owner1

2011 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

What I like best about this car (after all the serious stuff like safety and reliability) is the Adaptive Cruise Control. How did I ever live without this feature? I've owned my Volvo for a year and am extremely happy with the vehicle

Adaptive Cruise Control

My only complaint: the GPS. The GPS is so bad I don't use it. Glad I kept my old Garmin. Any GPS which uses a remote control was not mean for a vehicle.

Volvo got it right!
By george167

2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My 4th volvo. This is the best yet. The R-design interior/exterior trim accentuate the beauty of this vehicle. The 20" wheels are a surprise in handling and comfort. City safety, climate, nav, media, tech, and bliss packages w/satelite radio and remote keyless entry... all contribute to an excellent driving experience. 6 mos. /10,000+ miles to date and expect over 200k like my others. Volvo has come of age with this model. Solid, beautiful (R-design a must) and full of amenities. I can go on and on. Perfect SoCal freeway vehicle (with surf racks for the beach), especialy with adaptive cruise control, blind spot info system and collision warning. Only superlatives.

The rear camera with tire direction tracking is great in tight parking lots. The front and rear distance warning allow for manuevering in tight spaces. The adaptive cruise control is a must in SoCal freeways and Blind Spot Info system has grown on me as has the collision warning system. R-design black over cream leather seats are exquisite. The voice activated or manual navigation controls on steering wheel are superb - especially the toggle wheel. R-design suspension on a 3.2 fwd platform w/ 20" wheels makes for great road handling and the base 6 cyl. has just enough umph for quick accelleration entering the freeway or passing.

I'm a little heavy footed on the accellerator and I drive 70 mph plus on the freeway so I can't complain to much about my average mpg of 17-19 but I wish it was closer to 21mpg. The side and rear window tint could be two shades lighter (they are basically blacked out at night). Rear camera a must for night backing up.