2002 Volvo XC Consumer Review: Upgrade from 850 Wagon

2002 Volvo XC - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.4L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Upgrade from 850 Wagon
By Kate on

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned an 850 wagon for one year and loved it! It blew a piston ring and rather than spending the money to fix it, I bought this car. I love it! While it is more luxurious than I am used to, this car will definitely last for 10+ yrs. I bought it with 52k miles at 5 yrs old and it was still eligible for the Volvo used car warranty. So far, no regrets. Though sometimes it feels like the gas needle visibly moves on short (<100 miles) trips. I'm used to a car that gets 30+ mpg though- so maybe that's just me. Volvo improved the cupholders, climate control and internal design significantly and I am happy with my car over all. This car will go on camping trips, ski trips and paintball trips..

3rd row seat, ability to fold 2nd row headrests down, memory driver's seat (boyfriend is a foot taller than I am), dual climate control, comfortable seats!!!, message window, ground clearance, rubber protection where it matters, utility ability in a sedan body

I can't get over how it feels to go through half a tank of gas in one day. Maybe the gas tank is small and I'm sensitive to it, but maybe not. The little message window telling me my instantaneous mpg probably doesn't help. Gas prices are rising and sometimes I wish I had a Prius.