2002 Volvo XC - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (56 reviews )
Great!! Don't take to Auto shops!!
By 1randall on 08/17/13 08:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a really great car. It is very comfortable on long drives and has great performance. I have upgraded some things with parts from IPDUSA and has made it even better. If you research the work yourself and do the required maintenance you will have little issues. You can get better parts at a cheaper price if you look for them and don't go to the dealership. If you are lazy then no matter what car you own it will start to fail!! Ignore haters that do not know what they are doing!!

Worst car ever
By jerrellw1 on 02/26/13 06:29 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car with about 120K miles. Have spent $1,000 to $3,500 in repairs EVERY YEAR since then. WORST. CAR. EVER. FORDS (yes, Volvo is a Ford) ARE HORRIBLE.

Problems, Problems, Problems
By dwaters1 on 12/17/12 07:26 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this 2002 wagon in 2007 and it now has over 150k. A year after getting it the trans started acting up, I was advised to keep driving it till it failed then replace as opposed to repairing it, since the problem would come back. It has some good days and some bad. The instrument panel does not work right, trip odometer randomly changes as well as the clock. The auto-diming mirror is now always dim. The alarm system is defunct because the sensor in the mirror is out, which also prevents me from using the keyless entry. There is an occasional werning noise that sounds like trans but comes and goes, randomly. Because that its a nice car, smooth ride with not bucking. Nice look to, parked

>150,000 mi & going strong
By jkwong on 03/06/12 11:44 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've bought this car new & pretty much happy with it's service so far. Got around 23 mpg overall, that's pretty good on a heavy car. Love Volvo's safety - had a head-on collision in our '83 240 wagon @30k mi. & it got fixed & last till 300k mi & still able to drive it to the junk yard :-) 2002 XC70: Yes, I do have following issues (did all the service myself) after new car warranty: - front driver side coil spring (@ 100K) - rear emergency parking brake pad - tie-rod (inner + outter) - #3 ignition coil - lower control arm bushing - upper engine torgue mount bushing - Transmission lock up (ODB2 code: 700 & 740) this issue can be cleared with ODB2 & the car back to normal

Worst vehicle I have ever owned.
By supra727 on 04/20/11 16:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My parents and I have all have this model Volvo. We have all had to put thousands of dollars into them since we bought them. My parents bought theirs brand new. I purchased mine used. Everything from transmission problems to cosmetic and computer issues. We have had it all. The only thing I will give this car is that its good in the snow with a great pair of winter tires. I will never ever buy another Volvo. Trading this car in next week for a Lexus is 250 awd :) Can't wait for this money pit to be out of my driveway.

Great car, but expensive to own
By Levi on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a used 2002 Volvo Cross Country in November of 2005. I kept it for 2 1/2 years and put nearly 60K miles on it. I really enjoyed the vehicle. It was excellent in the snow and rain...in fact living in Vermont I have never driven a better car in bad weather. With a set of good snow tires it could literally go anywhere. It was very comfortable on long trips and I loved the fact that it had a huge trunk that could easily hold a weeks worth of luggage as well as the dog. The car was great until it hit 100K and things started needing to be replaced. Most of them were probably considered to be typical for a car with 100K, but the costs were double or even triple that of domestic made.

Future problems....
By Gina on 09/21/09 16:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

So here's my experience in a nut shell... On a USED 02 XC70. The car is now 7 years old. 90,000k miles. No accidents. Routinely serviced. I'm the second owner. Was great for the first year, then the problems came one after another. So far, It's violently vibrated and made all sorts of noises. I've replaced both differentials ($3500 total), and axles ($600)... So far. Now, after much anticipation and dread, I believe my tranny is finally giving out too! It's clunking when downshifting, and surging at low speeds. Oh! Also, it makes this quiet, but noticeable annoying ticking noise (similar to a loose heat shield) that my mechanic hasn't been able diagnose yet. Luckily it's paid off. Really, I love this car even after all the problems it's given me, but I think I'm going to buy an older (1998 or more) one next time.

Ok, but beware
By Derrick on 07/19/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Well we bought the car used, impart because we were just starting our family and with volvo you think safe. Thankfully we also put out for a three year 30k warranty. Good thing we did, because had we not we would have ended up putting over $5000 into the thing. Would not recommend buying used!! These cars were not built to go even 150K, we are just hoping to nurse it till we are no longer upside down and can dump the thing.

Good Used car
By Bruce on 05/25/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought an Ocean Race. We have seen alot of front-end work. Ball joints, springs, struts, cv axles - had to be replaced. Fit & Finish is decent. Engine timing belt, coolant sensor, plugs, and transmission must be maintained. Right angle gear - watch the oil and seals -- Expensive to replace!!! We need a good car for family of four. Volvo seems to imply Big $ at mechanic shops. Do all the work myself, save maintenance $. New xc70 are over-priced..

Great Car. Expensive to Maintain
By M N Jones on 02/22/09 15:13 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The XC70 is a strong performer and a very comfortable riding vehicle. Everyone who sits in the car comments on how comfortable the seats are. I've driven the car in blizzard like conditions and the car handled the roads with ease. The AWD system in the vehicle is second to none. The only issues I have with the car are the maintenance costs. There are a lot of quirky little things that seem to go wrong with the vehicle or need to be maintained.