Used 1998 Volvo V90 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo V90 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

1998 V90
By Alan Akin

1998 Volvo V90 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Purchased brand new. Appreciate the safety aspect. Incredible steering radius. Front brakes need replacement often. Engine light comes on frequently. Nice auto for long highway drives. Somewhat sporty feel with handling. Large, open storage area when back seats are down. For a car with almost 205K miles, it still handles quite well.

Favorite Features

Steering radius is unlike any car I have owned. Front seats comfortable on long drives.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible drink holders. Numerous brake pad replacements. Sunroof mechanism has broken at least 6 times since new. Rear axle broke twice and was replaced by Volvo. Exterior paint does not hold up well.

Best car for the money out there
By Kevin

1998 Volvo V90 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Very solid, reliable, comfortable, sporty without roughness. Great engine and drivetrain, exceptional handling. May appear dated (boxy) but drives better than the vast majority of new cars. Cheap alternative, including maintenance, to Mercedes or BMW. Never stranded and only minor problems if maintained properly. Holds almost as much cargo as my SUV. Lastly, safe as houses, and generally fun to drive. Tight turning radius makes it ideal in traffic and for parking.

Favorite Features

Engine and drivetrain are solid as rocks. Steering - suspension is very sophisticated and compliant while sporty. Overall toughness. Great factory stereo (w/ 6-CD changer in back also).

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are lightyears behind the times.

love this car
By wsand

1998 Volvo V90 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I have been driving my 1998 V90 for 9 years and I still love it like the first day I bought it. Super comfortable front seats, rear seats fold down for mega yard sale purchases (got an entire patio set in there) or all seats up (w/3rd row) and you can seat 7! Stay on top of maintenance - tranny flush, timing belt, etc. and she just keeps going and going.

Favorite Features

Front seats, versatility, roomy, sporty/sleek design

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders

AC service every year
By Tess

1998 Volvo V90 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I would not consider buying another Volvo because I have had issues with AC system since I purchased it in 2005. It is not acceptable to have to put our car for AC maintenance in a Volvo dealer every year because AC cooling or any other issues. I am also not pleased that the price for the maintenance goes up about 15% every year. Furthermore, all the cool features and the smoothly drive does not encourage me to buy another Volvo. PS: It seems to me that Volvo should have recalled the V90 model, V90 for the AC problem.

Favorite Features

Turning radius, great to make U turns.

Suggested Improvements

Customer Service Rep

Monday car?
By hm

1998 Volvo V90 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I must have bought a lemon. Any forum I read scares me because I learn what breaks next! I had to repair the lower control arm bushings, the brakes and rotors (they are due again after only 20,000 miles), both radiators for A/C and cooling and more. It started with the gear sensor and battery, now the steering goes bad. It seems just endless, not to mention the bad door trims that fall apart or the rear hatch trim that rattles and the suspension that had to be replaced after 70.000 miles. That was my last Volvo. It's not for life as they claim. NO build quality whatsoever!

Favorite Features

Space, inline six is silk smooth, third seat option, booster seat and feeling of security. Great visibility all around, no guessing necessary in that shoe box.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is poor in the city - 14mpg, overall reliability substandard.