1998 Volvo V90 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
1998 V90
By Alan Akin on 04/12/10 12:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

Purchased brand new. Appreciate the safety aspect. Incredible steering radius. Front brakes need replacement often. Engine light comes on frequently. Nice auto for long highway drives. Somewhat sporty feel with handling. Large, open storage area when back seats are down. For a car with almost 205K miles, it still handles quite well.

Best car for the money out there
By Kevin on 12/12/09 09:24 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

Very solid, reliable, comfortable, sporty without roughness. Great engine and drivetrain, exceptional handling. May appear dated (boxy) but drives better than the vast majority of new cars. Cheap alternative, including maintenance, to Mercedes or BMW. Never stranded and only minor problems if maintained properly. Holds almost as much cargo as my SUV. Lastly, safe as houses, and generally fun to drive. Tight turning radius makes it ideal in traffic and for parking.

love this car
By wsand on 12/08/09 13:57 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

I have been driving my 1998 V90 for 9 years and I still love it like the first day I bought it. Super comfortable front seats, rear seats fold down for mega yard sale purchases (got an entire patio set in there) or all seats up (w/3rd row) and you can seat 7! Stay on top of maintenance - tranny flush, timing belt, etc. and she just keeps going and going.

AC service every year
By Tess on 08/25/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

I would not consider buying another Volvo because I have had issues with AC system since I purchased it in 2005. It is not acceptable to have to put our car for AC maintenance in a Volvo dealer every year because AC cooling or any other issues. I am also not pleased that the price for the maintenance goes up about 15% every year. Furthermore, all the cool features and the smoothly drive does not encourage me to buy another Volvo. PS: It seems to me that Volvo should have recalled the V90 model, V90 for the AC problem.

Monday car?
By hm on 07/24/07 15:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

I must have bought a lemon. Any forum I read scares me because I learn what breaks next! I had to repair the lower control arm bushings, the brakes and rotors (they are due again after only 20,000 miles), both radiators for A/C and cooling and more. It started with the gear sensor and battery, now the steering goes bad. It seems just endless, not to mention the bad door trims that fall apart or the rear hatch trim that rattles and the suspension that had to be replaced after 70.000 miles. That was my last Volvo. It's not for life as they claim. NO build quality whatsoever!

Great wagon - holds tons of stuff
By DonnaG on 06/20/06 19:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

This is my second Volvo wagon - kept my 1986 240 wagon for 9 years and gave it to my Dad who drove it another 4 years. Then sold it for more than retail! Great wagons - comfortable and holds tons of stuff. I really like the look of the car, too. Great pick up, tight turning radius. Just love this car.

long-term experience
By Matt Mavrolas on 02/22/06 23:19 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

These newer Volvos are very expensive to repair, and maintain. Common problems: cracked headlight covers, front brakes wear out quickly, timing belt needs replaced every 60,000 miles, front suspension parts wear out and have replaced the same suspension parts more than once. Biggest problem: transmission failure. Also hesitation problems from a standing start. And I babied this car!

Typical Volvo !!
By kslsmorgan on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

This is the second Volvo wagon we've owned (first was a 1982) and it's amazing how similar they are. Straight line acceleration is barely adequate for highway merging but overall ride and handling are great and turn radius and ease of parking are unmatched by anything out there. Gas mileage could be better but I keep reminding my self what a solid, safe car this is and then I don't worry about it so much. Cup holders are flimsy, don't hold anything upright bigger than a dixie cup, and put the drink right where the driver's elbow should be resting.

great car
By chjcorbett on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V90 4dr Wagon

Overall: very pleased. Rides very smoothly, while still being sporty. Passengers have commented they were pleasantly surprised by comfort, smooth ride, and acceleration, compared to Mercedes M-class, Infiniti, and others. Not very roomy in rear if front seats are pushed back, but very comfortable upfront. Check engine light comes on too frequently, but is harmless.

1998 VOLVO V90 WAGON
By FRAMISTER on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

GREAT ALL ROUND CAR