2008 Volvo V70 Consumer Review: Excellant alternative to boori

2008 Volvo V70 - Consumer Review

Excellant alternative to boorish SUV
By steveheckman on

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

What the reviewers at Edmunds [and elsewhere] don't seem to grasp, is that many of us don't like the "me too" look and feel of an elevated SUV. Volvo and other EU manufactures offer a sporty driving experience in a very practical design - a station wagon. Not trendy...which is a characteristic that I appreciate. In an era dominated by overweight SUVs and their "cross-over" cousins, the Volvo V70 is a sign of sanity and good taste. If you need an elevated drivers seat to feel important, the V70 is not for you. If you drive with one eye on your cell phone and your brain firmly rooted in cyber-space, please stay in your SUV, and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Ride quality and handling - this is not your Mom's station wagon, or for that matter, your kids SUV. Great seats and a quiet cabin...what else do I need? The controls are simple and easy to use...none of that over techie nonsense that BMW/Audi/Mercedes like to push as "21st Century improvements" that only complicate your life. The styling is very upscale with none of the "look at me" bling found on many Japanese/Korean or American brands, and now unfortunately seeping into German design.

I haven't found any after 30k miles, but I'll keep looking. Perhaps that now Ford is out of the way, the new owners will keep Volvo as a unique brand in a world full of "me-too" designs that appeal to base impulses.