Used 2008 Volvo V70 3.2 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volvo V70 Wagon

3.2 3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

Wagon Love
By Dan De Angelis

2008 Volvo V70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I held off on my review until we had several thousand miles logged in the car and a few service intervals. This isn’t our first Volvo as we have had 240’s, 740’s and S70’s through the years. Along with Volvos we have owned everything from Mini Vans to Mercedes, approximately 55 vehicles in all.
I was attracted to the V70 because of styling, performance and the need for cargo space. All of which have been fulfilled with this car. We found this previously owned with 48,000 gentle one owner mi. and all service records up to date. We have taken several road trips thus far and use as a commuter during the week.
Absolutely no disappointments at all and I enjoy driving a vehicle that doesn’t look like the majority of vehicles on the road. Other reviewers have a tendency to compare this to vehicles that out perform and out handle the V70 but they miss the essence entirely. This wagon has plenty of power provided by the 3.2 Litre ( same motor in the LR1 Land Rover) and delivers well when called upon. The comfort is second to none and the fit and finish throughout the vehicle is way above the standard run of the mill cars for the masses.
Our V70 is the silver metallic sans the luggage rack with 6 spoke 16” wheels. It’s amazing how many people compliment on the looks and the younger gen love it! Kinda cool for a station wagon huh ?
I will be adding Bilstein HD Struts and Shocks along with rear stabilizer bar soon for ride and sound improvements but that’s it. We continue to service at all intervals and to this point have absolutely no complaints. Go find a well kept V70 and stand out!

Excellant alternative to boorish SUV
By steveheckman

2008 Volvo V70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

What the reviewers at Edmunds [and elsewhere] don't seem to grasp, is that many of us don't like the "me too" look and feel of an elevated SUV.

Volvo and other EU manufactures offer a sporty driving experience in a very practical design - a station wagon. Not trendy...which is a characteristic that I appreciate.

In an era dominated by overweight SUVs and their "cross-over" cousins, the Volvo V70 is a sign of sanity and good taste.

If you need an elevated drivers seat to feel important, the V70 is not for you. If you drive with one eye on your cell phone and your brain firmly rooted in cyber-space, please stay in your SUV, and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Ride quality and handling - this is not your Mom's station wagon, or for that matter, your kids SUV. Great seats and a quiet cabin...what else do I need? The controls are simple and easy to use...none of that over techie nonsense that BMW/Audi/Mercedes like to push as "21st Century improvements" that only complicate your life. The styling is very upscale with none of the "look at me" bling found on many Japanese/Korean or American brands, and now unfortunately seeping into German design.

I haven't found any after 30k miles, but I'll keep looking. Perhaps that now Ford is out of the way, the new owners will keep Volvo as a unique brand in a world full of "me-too" designs that appeal to base impulses.

A good old traditional station wagon
By Steve in Minnesota

2008 Volvo V70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Interior comfort is the best feature of the V70. There is plenty of space for both passengers and cargo in a relatively compact package. The power train is generally refined. The transmission is very smooth but the engine growls a tad too loud for an almost 40,000 car. There is way too much shudder and noise when going over bumps but otherwise it feels solid. The highway ride is quiet and serene. We purchased for 25 grand as a rental return. I believe the MSRP was about 38 grand, which is a little spendy. We're getting 22-34 mpg in mixed driving. The heated seats are the best I have ever felt. Very welcome in Minnesota.

Excellent heated seats, solid feeling, seat comfort, overall practical design.

Suspension needs to be a little quieter on large bumps(potholes). Gauges seems to be lit by a reading lamp. Should be backlit like other cars, perhaps in ice blue.

Car is great but possible improvements
By aef83a

2008 Volvo V70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is not a typical station wagon. The handling is not like that of a sports sedan but it works for what this vehicle is. You will appreciate the comfort and convenience that the V70 provides, and although I have yet to see proof I hope that it is safe as well.

IPOD jack, stereo, seat comfort, smooth power from drivetrain

handling a bit wallowy in corners, standard heated seats and xenon headlights, better fuel economy.

subtle, sophisticated, and fun
By judith

2008 Volvo V70 Wagon 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Swapped for an E320 -- 1" shorter and cavernous in the back, which I don't notice while I am having so much fun in these wonderful front seats, wheeling a surprisingly sporty but beautiful driver cabin. Drives like a high-end sport sedan.

Seating and safety is a given. Pleasantly surprised by the pickup - 6 cylinder is much more fun than the mercedes.

Can't think of a thing.