2008 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

3.2 3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )
Excellant alternative to boorish SUV
By steveheckman on 01/23/11 10:52 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

What the reviewers at Edmunds [and elsewhere] don't seem to grasp, is that many of us don't like the "me too" look and feel of an elevated SUV. Volvo and other EU manufactures offer a sporty driving experience in a very practical design - a station wagon. Not trendy...which is a characteristic that I appreciate. In an era dominated by overweight SUVs and their "cross-over" cousins, the Volvo V70 is a sign of sanity and good taste. If you need an elevated drivers seat to feel important, the V70 is not for you. If you drive with one eye on your cell phone and your brain firmly rooted in cyber-space, please stay in your SUV, and I'll keep an eye out for you.

A good old traditional station wagon
By Steve in Minnesota on 02/10/10 14:34 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Interior comfort is the best feature of the V70. There is plenty of space for both passengers and cargo in a relatively compact package. The power train is generally refined. The transmission is very smooth but the engine growls a tad too loud for an almost 40,000 car. There is way too much shudder and noise when going over bumps but otherwise it feels solid. The highway ride is quiet and serene. We purchased for 25 grand as a rental return. I believe the MSRP was about 38 grand, which is a little spendy. We're getting 22-34 mpg in mixed driving. The heated seats are the best I have ever felt. Very welcome in Minnesota.

Car is great but possible improvements
By aef83a on 06/27/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is not a typical station wagon. The handling is not like that of a sports sedan but it works for what this vehicle is. You will appreciate the comfort and convenience that the V70 provides, and although I have yet to see proof I hope that it is safe as well.

subtle, sophisticated, and fun
By judith on 05/09/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Swapped for an E320 -- 1" shorter and cavernous in the back, which I don't notice while I am having so much fun in these wonderful front seats, wheeling a surprisingly sporty but beautiful driver cabin. Drives like a high-end sport sedan.

A great alternative to an SUV
By John on 02/13/09 06:09 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've put 6,500 miles on this car over the past 6 months and have been very pleased. It replaced a Lexus LS430 and an older Volvo V70. The ride quality is smooth and quiet. While I really enjoyed the super-quiet ride and precise handling of the Lexus, I am also enjoying the sportier driving experience of this Volvo. I much prefer this car to the roughness and sway of the SUV's I have owned. Based on the car's computer readout, fuel mileage is considerably better than the EPA numbers (30 - 32 MPG at 60 MPH). Build quality seems good with no significant problems so far.

A classic wagon (with great seats)
By Peter on 02/04/09 12:18 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This isn't necessarily a "fun" car, but it is comfortable, quiet and practical. I think it makes a lot of sense for a family that needs something big enough for kids and gear, but isn't interested in a minivan or SUV. The interior is beautifully designed and assembled. It is one of those cars where almost every design decision appears to have been driven by a lot of thought about ergonomics. Materials are generally high quality. While the base price might be 32K, it is difficult to find one without a lot of options (and a much higher MSRP). However, I was able to get a "left- over" 2008 at a bit over 25 percent off. I have had this car for only two weeks, so ignore my reliability score.

Great Automobile
By Wally on 10/29/08 22:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

A lot of fun to drive. Great handling. Excellent braking. Beautiful interior - very comfortable. This is my 7th Volvo and I'm not disappointed. Very classy exterior styling. With freeway driving I'm getting between 27 and 30.5 mpg.

V70 Just Arriving from Europe
By Randall S Over, P.E. on 07/25/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Picked up the car in Gothenburg, Sweden and drove 1800 miles through Europe. Very easy to handle, beautiful interior, typical great seats and well laid out dash, switches, gauges, etc. Evolutionary update to the design of my S60. If anyone is thinking of the European delivery program, do it, well worth it even with the current value of the US dollar vs the Euro and SEK.

Well pleased
By Mike on 04/30/08 12:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This car is what you would expect from Volvo. Understated performance, design with good handling. This is my second Volvo wagon, previous 240. I love the wagon for the car ride with the hauling of a suv. Pleased with fuel economy. I commute 70 miles round trip daily on interstates and average 26 mpg.

Very pleased
By Bill on 03/28/08 13:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo V70 3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned the car for three (3) months now and have been very pleased. I was looking for a vehicle that would be capable of towing a small pop-up camper, yet not be as bulky as an SUV - a station wagon was a good solution, and the car is very comfortable. As I was previously a Honda owner, fuel economy has been disappointing, but not unexpected. I average 22 to 23 mpg with my city driving and a tad over 25 mpg on the highway - not too bad all things considered, but I do use high octane fuel.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.