Excellent all-round wagon
By dsensing on
2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)
We bought our '05 V70 from a friend who had put 93K business miles on it. All services done at Volvo dealer & all records present, two repairs & neither mechanical/automotive. Its Consumer Reports' reliability ratings are actually higher than our son's Infiniti! Standard engine has all the power we need for a wagon. V70 was based on the S80 platform, so much more back seat room than my '05 S60. Great hauling room in back; if you don't want a SUV but need that, this car is for you. Front seats are best in the world, bar none. Auto-wipers are great! 3-position memory seat is great since my wife & daughter & I drive it. Maintenance not expensive if you have a good non-Volvo shop (we do).
Favorite Features
Comfort, great fuel econ (I've gotten 36 mpg on interstate, Honda Civic territory!), solidity of build, driver- station ergonomics, safety features, reliability, auto wipers, in-out steering-column adjustability, memory seats. Wife loves heated-leather seats. Bulletproof engine, smooth at all speeds.
Suggested Improvements
Auto-dim mirror should be standard at car's price point. Inside tailgate release should be a feature, too. Remote fob should have longer range than 15 feet. Switchblade key-remote is too bulky. Gas-filler door's spring broke off, but door stll works. But car's virtues far outweigh its vices.