2005 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Serves many different needs comfortably
By Vince on 04/22/06 08:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our second Volvo and we've been pleased with both. More nimble handling than expected with the 17" wheels, lots of cargo space, comfortable to sit in and drive. I'm 6'4" and don't feel cramped. Great car for the children with integrated booster seats and third seat. Good fuel mileage -- average 27.5 combining highway, city, over hill and dale. Mechanically very sound. When started, engine revs to about 1500 rpm for about 10 seconds before decreasing to normal idle of about 700 rpm -- told this was to warm engine faster to improve emissions.

I'm happy with it.
By Skredberry on 04/21/06 10:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

First volvo for our family. After EXTENSIVE searching , we landed on the Volvo v70 non-turbo, specifically for gas mileage and not having to use 93 octane. I can get about 400 miles to a tank, so on top of great mileage, I go long time between fill ups. We bought after having a baby and the stadium seating is great for a car seat to see out the window. My husband is 6' and has some difficulty getting comfortable in the driver's position (the s40 we had for a loaner was roomier, he said). I've been very comfortable driving it and it has nice pickup. I didn't give a 10 for performance because after going from a VWGolf this is not as easy to handle. Good car for antiSUV ppl.

My First Volvo Wagon
By Kyang on 12/15/05 17:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My Volvo V70 2.5T was delivered with two weatherstrips deformed and a noisy V- belt. They all gor fixed under warranty. The engine vibration is felt at idle and under accelaration. I think it is common for 5 cylinder engine (the Audi 5000 has the similar vibration). Once the engine is at cruising speed (~2000 rpm), it is quiet. The dealer service is excellence. It probably will be expensive after the warranty expires. The only anoying thing is the idle time before shut down the engine after a long drive (to prolong the turbo charger's life).

A truly great car!!!
By Davek on 08/20/05 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is our 3rd Volvo. We had over a quarter of a million miles on our 1st Volvo (270,000 miles) and it ran perfectly when we sold it. We drove our 2nd Volvo over 18 years. When we traded it in on this 2005 model, the older Volvo ran just as well as the day we drove it off of the showroom floor 18 years ago. This new 2005 V70 is the best of the 3. It's a stylish wagon with lots of power (much more than we've had in the past). It handles superbly. Exceptional fuel mileage (34mpg highway) and just has a very solid feel to it when you drive it. We especially like the smooth ride. Our children like the extra room and comfort of the rear seat area.

LIKE MY V70 204
By dan on 06/24/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My V70 is actually a nonturbo automatic. My mileage is 30 highyway and 20 city. This is an excellent car. When you first start it up, it revs to 2,000 rpm and within a few seconds drops to around 700 +/-. Dealer said should be that way. Had a 98 V70 XC before and only had minor stuff. I traded down this time to V70 becasue of price and looks. Bought it for safety, best seats in the market place, heated seats,dual air controls, and highly rated reliabiltiy in consumer reports. Holds the road nicely. BTW, my wife has hit in the back by a big pick up. Smased truck front and radiator, it had to be towed. No injury to my wife, drove it home. No glass breakage, bumpers & shock system did job.

Very nice car
By annapoal on 03/23/05 20:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The newer v70 is much improved when compared to the older ones. The ride and handling with the optional wheel and tires is excellent. Mileage is very good. The seats are world class, the best. Performance of the nonturbo is good due to the 5 speed tranny and variable valve timing. Great mileage. Generous room in all areas. The worst I can say is the AM reception is poor.

Volvo V70 T5
By DWallace on 03/21/05 18:38 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent all rounder. I do a lot of freeway miles and this car makes the trips pleasureable. It has a lot of power which is useful when joining the freeway or overtaking. It has a very comfortable driving position and feels rock solid on the road. And believe it or not, it's fun to drive. On an open road the performance of this car is quite surprising.

New Volvo Wagon
By V70 Fan on 02/21/05 19:43 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This replaces out 1991 240 wagon with 230k miles on it, purchased new. What a difference, yet not a surprise with the detail and quality. In a nutshell, I feel safe and secure. Average milage 26.5 mpg to date. Comfortable, elegant, and well designed, though it may take getting use to all the features. Study the manual first to know about the purpose and layout. Then appreciate the details.

First Impressions
By kamala95 on 01/04/05 09:36 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I only have 300 miles on my 2004 V70 2.4. Thus far I have no complaints. I only gave this car 9 points in my review, as I am not not comfortable giving anything 10's the whole way through. This is a much better vehicle than I had expected. Even the base engine (auto tranny BTW), handles very well for us. Carrying 5 people, it seems to move pretty well too. I have not had any problems with acceleration. The V70's fit and finish are top notch. The climate control and air filtration system work superbly. There seems to be more rear passenger room than we had in our 1999 Ford Explorer, with comparable usable cargo area. While shopping for this model, we also looked at the Dodge Magnum and Volkswagen Passat Wagon TDI seriously, and I have no regrets. This is a very well put together vehicle.

3rd V70 in seven years.
By patrick sombsthay on 12/15/04 21:21 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third V70. It is a superb machine a lot more stylish than any minivan or SUV that eveyone is driving today. Superb ergonomics , beautiful lines , a lot of cargo room . THe wagon surprisingly is more economical than my Audi A4 sedan. I recommend it highly .