Used 2005 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo V70

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Dependable car
By Vince

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have an '03 V70 and liked it so much that we bought the '05. Car is solid, comfortable, and dependable. Normal services and no real problems yet through 62K miles. Does have electrical snafus -- at times the fuel gauge doesn't register fuel remaining, and when cold, the MPG and fuel remaining readings arbitrarily change between the 4 or so displays available. Wide turning radius on the 17" wheels -- larger than the '03 with 16" wheels. Smooth & light steering, but bumpier ride than the '03 due to the 225/45R17 tires I suppose. Engine is responsive and turbo gets car up to freeway speed quickly. Original Pirelli's still on -- probably replace at 70K.

Favorite Features

Good things include the interior comfort, fuel mileage (27mpg or so), smooth and quiet ride, and the many features inside.

Suggested Improvements

Bulbs burn out frequently, electrical problems mentioned.

Excellent all-round wagon
By dsensing

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We bought our '05 V70 from a friend who had put 93K business miles on it. All services done at Volvo dealer & all records present, two repairs & neither mechanical/automotive. Its Consumer Reports' reliability ratings are actually higher than our son's Infiniti! Standard engine has all the power we need for a wagon. V70 was based on the S80 platform, so much more back seat room than my '05 S60. Great hauling room in back; if you don't want a SUV but need that, this car is for you. Front seats are best in the world, bar none. Auto-wipers are great! 3-position memory seat is great since my wife & daughter & I drive it. Maintenance not expensive if you have a good non-Volvo shop (we do).

Favorite Features

Comfort, great fuel econ (I've gotten 36 mpg on interstate, Honda Civic territory!), solidity of build, driver- station ergonomics, safety features, reliability, auto wipers, in-out steering-column adjustability, memory seats. Wife loves heated-leather seats. Bulletproof engine, smooth at all speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Auto-dim mirror should be standard at car's price point. Inside tailgate release should be a feature, too. Remote fob should have longer range than 15 feet. Switchblade key-remote is too bulky. Gas-filler door's spring broke off, but door stll works. But car's virtues far outweigh its vices.

My first but not last Volvo
By Bridgewater

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car uses with 50000km on it. There is not a squeak or rattle anywhere. There are so many hidden features that dealer didn't even know. The built in child boosters are amazing. The rain sensing wipers work perfectly. Built into the back seat, cargo nets that hook to the ceiling to keep the dog in the back. Fuel economy isn't the same as my Jetta Wagon even when Volvo says it should be but the car is much bigger so it shouldn't be expected. The bonus of AWD just adds to the car's worth. I would buy another without a second thought.

Favorite Features

Child boosters. Rain sensing wipers. Cargo nets. Seats are so comfortable. The best out there I think.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy could be better. Wind noise is good but road noise in the back seat is louder then most cars. A big beef with me, the owners manual is full of "your car may or may not contain..." That doesn't help me.

Better than I thought it would be
By D. Sensing

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 93K miles on it from a friend and have put several K miles on it since. The most outstanding feature? Gas mileage! I get 36-plus on the i'state and 29 combined using prem. gas, not so much with regular. The wagon is a great hauler and the reason we bought the car. Very useful cargo space and rear seats fold very easily. Don't mind not having turbo motor; the standard engine has enough power for our needs. All in all an outstanding auto, especially for the price I paid, trade-in value!

Favorite Features

Very confortable seats - Volvo's strong suit. Automatic wipers. Outstanding standard radio. Memory seats, a must with 3 drivers in the fam. Loads of headroom. Steering wheel size and thickness is just right. Low insurance costs (due to great safety, no doubt). Fuel economy!

Suggested Improvements

Back seat leg room is tight. Trip computer is worthless, very inaccurate, esp. in mpg calculations. Brake and gas pedals are too close together.

Hauls like a mini van and fun to drive
By armchair

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We recently purchased a 2005 V70 used with only 50000km on the clock. We traded in a our 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6. Our kids were initially disappointed to see the van go, but once we started our vacation with the V70 they were very happy. Seats are way more comfortable, and with the integrated child seats they actually have more rear seat room. We like to cost of filling up compared to the minivan, about 30% better fuel economy, and we are comfortable in Volvo's awesome seats, and the dual zone AC keeps up both happy in the front as we can adjust to our preferences. We recently did an 900KM long weekend trip, and every left the car far more refreshed and relaxed in the Volvo versus the minivan.

Favorite Features

Love the seats front for us, and the integrated back seats for the kids. Great visibility, and a true highway cruiser for long trips, and the cargo area is huge and handles whatever we throw in it. The front console and controls are well laid out, easy to use, and actually make sense.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more pep in the base version, but it is great for traveling with the kids, not a speed demon but gets you around just fine.