2005 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
V70 2.5T Wagon
By Jude on 06/30/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our second V70, we had the first for 4 years. Purchased the first wagon used, had minor issue with brakes, oxygen senor however nothing major. Our second V70, 2005 wagon purchased it used, great car, looks and drives great.

Serves many different needs comfortably
By Vince on 04/22/06 08:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our second Volvo and we've been pleased with both. More nimble handling than expected with the 17" wheels, lots of cargo space, comfortable to sit in and drive. I'm 6'4" and don't feel cramped. Great car for the children with integrated booster seats and third seat. Good fuel mileage -- average 27.5 combining highway, city, over hill and dale. Mechanically very sound. When started, engine revs to about 1500 rpm for about 10 seconds before decreasing to normal idle of about 700 rpm -- told this was to warm engine faster to improve emissions.

I'm happy with it.
By Skredberry on 04/21/06 10:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

First volvo for our family. After EXTENSIVE searching , we landed on the Volvo v70 non-turbo, specifically for gas mileage and not having to use 93 octane. I can get about 400 miles to a tank, so on top of great mileage, I go long time between fill ups. We bought after having a baby and the stadium seating is great for a car seat to see out the window. My husband is 6' and has some difficulty getting comfortable in the driver's position (the s40 we had for a loaner was roomier, he said). I've been very comfortable driving it and it has nice pickup. I didn't give a 10 for performance because after going from a VWGolf this is not as easy to handle. Good car for antiSUV ppl.

My First Volvo Wagon
By Kyang on 12/15/05 17:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My Volvo V70 2.5T was delivered with two weatherstrips deformed and a noisy V- belt. They all gor fixed under warranty. The engine vibration is felt at idle and under accelaration. I think it is common for 5 cylinder engine (the Audi 5000 has the similar vibration). Once the engine is at cruising speed (~2000 rpm), it is quiet. The dealer service is excellence. It probably will be expensive after the warranty expires. The only anoying thing is the idle time before shut down the engine after a long drive (to prolong the turbo charger's life).

A truly great car!!!
By Davek on 08/20/05 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is our 3rd Volvo. We had over a quarter of a million miles on our 1st Volvo (270,000 miles) and it ran perfectly when we sold it. We drove our 2nd Volvo over 18 years. When we traded it in on this 2005 model, the older Volvo ran just as well as the day we drove it off of the showroom floor 18 years ago. This new 2005 V70 is the best of the 3. It's a stylish wagon with lots of power (much more than we've had in the past). It handles superbly. Exceptional fuel mileage (34mpg highway) and just has a very solid feel to it when you drive it. We especially like the smooth ride. Our children like the extra room and comfort of the rear seat area.

LIKE MY V70 204
By dan on 06/24/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 T5 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My V70 is actually a nonturbo automatic. My mileage is 30 highyway and 20 city. This is an excellent car. When you first start it up, it revs to 2,000 rpm and within a few seconds drops to around 700 +/-. Dealer said should be that way. Had a 98 V70 XC before and only had minor stuff. I traded down this time to V70 becasue of price and looks. Bought it for safety, best seats in the market place, heated seats,dual air controls, and highly rated reliabiltiy in consumer reports. Holds the road nicely. BTW, my wife has hit in the back by a big pick up. Smased truck front and radiator, it had to be towed. No injury to my wife, drove it home. No glass breakage, bumpers & shock system did job.

Not a soccer mom
By Buffalo Bob on 06/23/05 20:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After starting out looking at Volvo V70 Cross Country models and deciding they're dogs - real soccer mom cars - I went through a number of SUVs up to and including a 4Dr Ford F150 P/U. Then gas hit $2.50 and someone reccomended I check out a V70R. I didn't even know they existed. Once I checked them on line goodbye to V6s & V8s... Fortunately my dealer had a used S60R to test drive so I got a taste - and began the process of getting a V70R. Build quality seems terrific. Performace with the 6 speed is excellent. Gas mileage is 23+ at the speeds the car performs best. 'And talk about stealth. I even passed a state trooper and he never noticed. After all it's a Volvo wagon right? Cool!

Volvo V70R-2005
By Orion T. Osborne on 06/03/05 17:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased the automatic version of this vehicle because I am a high mileage driver (50,000 miles per year- road miles). This vehicle is a little slugish and I have discussed this with my dealer. I was expecting a faster automobile off the line and currently I am considering an after market EUC upgrade. I owned a 2001 V70 T-5 that was quicker. Mechanically, Volvo parts don't last many miles (bushings, shocks, engine mounts, etc). My T-5 had one of everything replaced in 205,000 miles, except the engine and the trans needed replacing when I traded it in. I truly hope the V-70R holds up better over time.

Fourth Turbo Volvo
By Sleeper on 04/01/05 11:16 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The V70R is the perfect AWD replacement for anyone who has enjoyed an 850 turbo. The accelleration (with automatic trans) is very similar but the ride is more compliant and the handling much improved (you would never know you are in a wagon when cornering). If you wish more accelleration, go with the 6-speed manual - you will find the accelleration of the automatic underwhelming (considering the car has 300HP)compared with the 6M. The '04 is my wife's car and I will be replacing my Volvo Cross Country with a V70R 6M this spring.

Very nice car
By annapoal on 03/23/05 20:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The newer v70 is much improved when compared to the older ones. The ride and handling with the optional wheel and tires is excellent. Mileage is very good. The seats are world class, the best. Performance of the nonturbo is good due to the 5 speed tranny and variable valve timing. Great mileage. Generous room in all areas. The worst I can say is the AM reception is poor.