Used 2005 Volvo V70 R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo V70 R - Consumer Reviews

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

Swedish Dragon Wagon
By R2D2

2005 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This much fun ought to be illegal. The V70R is the perfect stealth wagon. Who would expect 0-60 in the mid-5s from a station wagon? With the available aftermarket items (exhaust, sway bars, and engine computer kits), getting 350+ HP is very do-able from only 2.5 liters. The 6-speed manual and brembo brakes make this a pleasure to drive. With 04 and 05 models coming within pricing reach, now is the time to think swede.

Premium sound (11 speakers) with 6 disk changer, in-dash navigation, backup warning system.

Turning radius beats a Greyhound bus, but not by much!

Not a soccer mom
By Buffalo Bob

2005 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After starting out looking at Volvo V70 Cross Country models and deciding they're dogs - real soccer mom cars - I went through a number of SUVs up to and including a 4Dr Ford F150 P/U. Then gas hit $2.50 and someone reccomended I check out a V70R. I didn't even know they existed. Once I checked them on line goodbye to V6s & V8s... Fortunately my dealer had a used S60R to test drive so I got a taste - and began the process of getting a V70R. Build quality seems terrific. Performace with the 6 speed is excellent. Gas mileage is 23+ at the speeds the car performs best. 'And talk about stealth. I even passed a state trooper and he never noticed. After all it's a Volvo wagon right? Cool!

All wheel drive. Outstanding stereo. Solid.

Darker tint on the windows.

Volvo V70R-2005
By Orion T. Osborne

2005 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased the automatic version of this vehicle because I am a high mileage driver (50,000 miles per year- road miles). This vehicle is a little slugish and I have discussed this with my dealer. I was expecting a faster automobile off the line and currently I am considering an after market EUC upgrade. I owned a 2001 V70 T-5 that was quicker. Mechanically, Volvo parts don't last many miles (bushings, shocks, engine mounts, etc). My T-5 had one of everything replaced in 205,000 miles, except the engine and the trans needed replacing when I traded it in. I truly hope the V-70R holds up better over time.

Stylish and quick. Great handling.

Supension parts need improvement, bushings, engine mounts, shocks are all supplied by the lowest bidder and are not quality parts.

Fourth Turbo Volvo
By Sleeper

2005 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The V70R is the perfect AWD replacement for anyone who has enjoyed an 850 turbo. The accelleration (with automatic trans) is very similar but the ride is more compliant and the handling much improved (you would never know you are in a wagon when cornering). If you wish more accelleration, go with the 6-speed manual - you will find the accelleration of the automatic underwhelming (considering the car has 300HP)compared with the 6M. The '04 is my wife's car and I will be replacing my Volvo Cross Country with a V70R 6M this spring.

The suspension is flat-out spectacular.

More light exterior colors for those potential buyers who live in hot climates. Offer high-performance all- season tires in place of the Pirelli P- Zero's that come standard. Offer a stronger automatic so you don't have to reduce the torque (and HP in the first two gears).

2005 V70R is junk!!!
By mike_c70

2005 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I picked up this 05 V70R after lemoning my 2004 S60R. Upon delivery of the vehicle, within 1/2 mile leaving the dealership, the car made this awful clunking and squeaking noise in the front suspension. I drove back to the dealer and they inspected it. They said that one of the springs in the front suspension came out of its seat. Furthermore, headlights were pointed straight down making them useless for night driving. Went back the next day to get the headlights re-aimed, said it was done. Guess what? Still pointing straight down. Furthermore, the clunking and squeaking in the front suspension came back. The car has been to the service dept in 2 of the 3 days of ownership. Do not buy a Volvo

When the car is working, the car drives great. The 6-spd is a great match to the 300 hp engine. But only when the car is working.

Build quality on the Rs and Volvo in general are a complete joke and the R is suppose to be their halo car. Gone are the good old 850 and P1 days where the cars were "bricks". And fix the headlights.