2005 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Still Going
By Mike on 04/03/10 08:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this V70 car for 92,000 miles. I still drives as new. Only repairs were to a frozen gear shift and head lights started to glaze but were replaced under warranty. Maintenance has been below normal, brake pads, oil, and flush fluids at normal intervals. Volvo dealer maintenance is less expensive than premium brands but I have spent four figures there at least twice. The result in keeping the car up is a 10 year driver, six years in it really shows no wear of any significance. My last Ford Explorer and Sable were well worn by now on the last go around. Wife has S60 same engine her car is bullet proof also. For people who want cars for longevity go with the base 5cyl eng.

Kept me safe
By Francisca on 08/05/09 20:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned three Volvos. I just had an accident in my 2005 and it kept me safe! Air bags deployed and car was totaled, but I remained safe. I am now shopping around for another v70. Can't say enough about the 2004 and 2005. Attractive but solid!

Excellent all-round wagon
By dsensing on 12/20/08 03:20 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We bought our '05 V70 from a friend who had put 93K business miles on it. All services done at Volvo dealer & all records present, two repairs & neither mechanical/automotive. Its Consumer Reports' reliability ratings are actually higher than our son's Infiniti! Standard engine has all the power we need for a wagon. V70 was based on the S80 platform, so much more back seat room than my '05 S60. Great hauling room in back; if you don't want a SUV but need that, this car is for you. Front seats are best in the world, bar none. Auto-wipers are great! 3-position memory seat is great since my wife & daughter & I drive it. Maintenance not expensive if you have a good non-Volvo shop (we do).

Better than I thought it would be
By D. Sensing on 07/31/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 93K miles on it from a friend and have put several K miles on it since. The most outstanding feature? Gas mileage! I get 36-plus on the i'state and 29 combined using prem. gas, not so much with regular. The wagon is a great hauler and the reason we bought the car. Very useful cargo space and rear seats fold very easily. Don't mind not having turbo motor; the standard engine has enough power for our needs. All in all an outstanding auto, especially for the price I paid, trade-in value!

Hauls like a mini van and fun to drive
By armchair on 07/09/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We recently purchased a 2005 V70 used with only 50000km on the clock. We traded in a our 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6. Our kids were initially disappointed to see the van go, but once we started our vacation with the V70 they were very happy. Seats are way more comfortable, and with the integrated child seats they actually have more rear seat room. We like to cost of filling up compared to the minivan, about 30% better fuel economy, and we are comfortable in Volvo's awesome seats, and the dual zone AC keeps up both happy in the front as we can adjust to our preferences. We recently did an 900KM long weekend trip, and every left the car far more refreshed and relaxed in the Volvo versus the minivan.

I'm happy with it.
By Skredberry on 04/21/06 10:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

First volvo for our family. After EXTENSIVE searching , we landed on the Volvo v70 non-turbo, specifically for gas mileage and not having to use 93 octane. I can get about 400 miles to a tank, so on top of great mileage, I go long time between fill ups. We bought after having a baby and the stadium seating is great for a car seat to see out the window. My husband is 6' and has some difficulty getting comfortable in the driver's position (the s40 we had for a loaner was roomier, he said). I've been very comfortable driving it and it has nice pickup. I didn't give a 10 for performance because after going from a VWGolf this is not as easy to handle. Good car for antiSUV ppl.

A truly great car!!!
By Davek on 08/20/05 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is our 3rd Volvo. We had over a quarter of a million miles on our 1st Volvo (270,000 miles) and it ran perfectly when we sold it. We drove our 2nd Volvo over 18 years. When we traded it in on this 2005 model, the older Volvo ran just as well as the day we drove it off of the showroom floor 18 years ago. This new 2005 V70 is the best of the 3. It's a stylish wagon with lots of power (much more than we've had in the past). It handles superbly. Exceptional fuel mileage (34mpg highway) and just has a very solid feel to it when you drive it. We especially like the smooth ride. Our children like the extra room and comfort of the rear seat area.

Very nice car
By annapoal on 03/23/05 20:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The newer v70 is much improved when compared to the older ones. The ride and handling with the optional wheel and tires is excellent. Mileage is very good. The seats are world class, the best. Performance of the nonturbo is good due to the 5 speed tranny and variable valve timing. Great mileage. Generous room in all areas. The worst I can say is the AM reception is poor.

New Volvo Wagon
By V70 Fan on 02/21/05 19:43 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This replaces out 1991 240 wagon with 230k miles on it, purchased new. What a difference, yet not a surprise with the detail and quality. In a nutshell, I feel safe and secure. Average milage 26.5 mpg to date. Comfortable, elegant, and well designed, though it may take getting use to all the features. Study the manual first to know about the purpose and layout. Then appreciate the details.

First Impressions
By kamala95 on 01/04/05 09:36 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I only have 300 miles on my 2004 V70 2.4. Thus far I have no complaints. I only gave this car 9 points in my review, as I am not not comfortable giving anything 10's the whole way through. This is a much better vehicle than I had expected. Even the base engine (auto tranny BTW), handles very well for us. Carrying 5 people, it seems to move pretty well too. I have not had any problems with acceleration. The V70's fit and finish are top notch. The climate control and air filtration system work superbly. There seems to be more rear passenger room than we had in our 1999 Ford Explorer, with comparable usable cargo area. While shopping for this model, we also looked at the Dodge Magnum and Volkswagen Passat Wagon TDI seriously, and I have no regrets. This is a very well put together vehicle.