Used 2005 Volvo V70 2.4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Still Going
By Mike

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this V70 car for 92,000 miles. I still drives as new. Only repairs were to a frozen gear shift and head lights started to glaze but were replaced under warranty. Maintenance has been below normal, brake pads, oil, and flush fluids at normal intervals. Volvo dealer maintenance is less expensive than premium brands but I have spent four figures there at least twice. The result in keeping the car up is a 10 year driver, six years in it really shows no wear of any significance. My last Ford Explorer and Sable were well worn by now on the last go around. Wife has S60 same engine her car is bullet proof also. For people who want cars for longevity go with the base 5cyl eng.

The seats are class leading among all cars. Scandinavian design is simple and straight forward they use one button where others use 20. Advanced design ages well, car still has a better interior now than many brand new cars. Safety, Safety, Safety, watch NHTSA videos and tell me other cars are = !

I you love torque you will not enjoy this car's driving experience. If you accelerate normally with 168 hp and the Hondas V6 next to you has 260+ hp you are going to be behind that car. So think of all the gas you are saving with 1/2 the displacement and smile.

Kept me safe
By Francisca

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned three Volvos. I just had an accident in my 2005 and it kept me safe! Air bags deployed and car was totaled, but I remained safe. I am now shopping around for another v70. Can't say enough about the 2004 and 2005. Attractive but solid!

Love clean lines and lovely interior.

Sometimes I can't see cars on my left well enough when I want to change lanes, since I never wholly rely on the mirrors.

Excellent all-round wagon
By dsensing

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We bought our '05 V70 from a friend who had put 93K business miles on it. All services done at Volvo dealer & all records present, two repairs & neither mechanical/automotive. Its Consumer Reports' reliability ratings are actually higher than our son's Infiniti! Standard engine has all the power we need for a wagon. V70 was based on the S80 platform, so much more back seat room than my '05 S60. Great hauling room in back; if you don't want a SUV but need that, this car is for you. Front seats are best in the world, bar none. Auto-wipers are great! 3-position memory seat is great since my wife & daughter & I drive it. Maintenance not expensive if you have a good non-Volvo shop (we do).

Comfort, great fuel econ (I've gotten 36 mpg on interstate, Honda Civic territory!), solidity of build, driver- station ergonomics, safety features, reliability, auto wipers, in-out steering-column adjustability, memory seats. Wife loves heated-leather seats. Bulletproof engine, smooth at all speeds.

Auto-dim mirror should be standard at car's price point. Inside tailgate release should be a feature, too. Remote fob should have longer range than 15 feet. Switchblade key-remote is too bulky. Gas-filler door's spring broke off, but door stll works. But car's virtues far outweigh its vices.

Better than I thought it would be
By D. Sensing

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 93K miles on it from a friend and have put several K miles on it since. The most outstanding feature? Gas mileage! I get 36-plus on the i'state and 29 combined using prem. gas, not so much with regular. The wagon is a great hauler and the reason we bought the car. Very useful cargo space and rear seats fold very easily. Don't mind not having turbo motor; the standard engine has enough power for our needs. All in all an outstanding auto, especially for the price I paid, trade-in value!

Very confortable seats - Volvo's strong suit. Automatic wipers. Outstanding standard radio. Memory seats, a must with 3 drivers in the fam. Loads of headroom. Steering wheel size and thickness is just right. Low insurance costs (due to great safety, no doubt). Fuel economy!

Back seat leg room is tight. Trip computer is worthless, very inaccurate, esp. in mpg calculations. Brake and gas pedals are too close together.

Hauls like a mini van and fun to drive
By armchair

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We recently purchased a 2005 V70 used with only 50000km on the clock. We traded in a our 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6. Our kids were initially disappointed to see the van go, but once we started our vacation with the V70 they were very happy. Seats are way more comfortable, and with the integrated child seats they actually have more rear seat room. We like to cost of filling up compared to the minivan, about 30% better fuel economy, and we are comfortable in Volvo's awesome seats, and the dual zone AC keeps up both happy in the front as we can adjust to our preferences. We recently did an 900KM long weekend trip, and every left the car far more refreshed and relaxed in the Volvo versus the minivan.

Love the seats front for us, and the integrated back seats for the kids. Great visibility, and a true highway cruiser for long trips, and the cargo area is huge and handles whatever we throw in it. The front console and controls are well laid out, easy to use, and actually make sense.

Could use more pep in the base version, but it is great for traveling with the kids, not a speed demon but gets you around just fine.