Used 2005 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

120K still drives as new and looks great a great car
By rmo3

2005 Volvo V70 T5 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have my 2005 since purchased almost new as a loaner with a 2K on the odo. It is my daily driver kids to school and to work and road miles. I drive more than average abut 25K a year. There have been no major maintenance issues, I did replace a/c at 100k live in FL runs 24/7 here. I had a g tires, brakes, fluids changes and (timing belt at 105K). Dealer service can be expensive but you should follow the maintenance schedule and make sure the last owner did if you are buying high mileage. The vehicle still rock solid gets 25 MPG. Still has a top speed of 130 mph, so those SUV's might pass you with 400 hp but know this the V70 is faster than all of them they are ltd. to 110 :).

Has the storage of a wagon, drives like a sports sedan ( within limits). This is not a car that acts like a BMW at triple digit speeds, but is is stable and competent if you find yourself going that fast it is way safer than any SUV at 70 mph. Good a/c, great visibility, wonderful fut and finish, everything has held up exceptionally well in the interior. No major failures of any of the big ticket items at 12oK impressive. I will drive it up to 200K.

Door dents since they are making cars lighter they dent easier, I have to get the dent removal team to go over the car for dings about every 2 years. Needs another 50 hp but not turbo charged, the new model with the V6 fixed that, but then there goes 30 mph on the road (yeah it is that good). Go back to glass headlamps, I hate these plastic one that haze over, how does that look in 7 years> Awful and cheap. The 2003 did not have plastic they used glass headlamps not worth the weight savings in my opinion. Sell all the cars with 17 inch tires my base 16.s rims are dartier in the wind had a s60 with bigger tires was more planted in cross wind.

Good looking, comfortable cruiser
By direnius

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Living in Istanbul with narrow street and lots of ups and downs I was a bit worried how this car would handle the city. But it did -even better than my previous V40. It's a joy to drive to work every day, but even more fun to drive around in the country side. It's audio (Dynaudio) is wonderfull, the power (2.0T) is more than enough to get the head start, needed once in a while and the comfort is unbeatable. What it lacks is a USB (or even AUX) connection. Thinking that one third of the price Renault's has both a MP3 playing CD player and a USB connection standart, this is something Volvo should be ashamed of. Still it's a beauty and a more good looking station wagon is hard to come by.

Extra ordinary comfort, beauty of design, predictable and reassuring handling, top-class sound isolation, tons of cup holders, size.

Head rests in front could be adjustable, too few front pockets, should be able to play MP3's one way or the other, steering wheel should have an front-back adjustment, electrical system is a typical Volvo nightmare.

Still Going
By Mike

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this V70 car for 92,000 miles. I still drives as new. Only repairs were to a frozen gear shift and head lights started to glaze but were replaced under warranty. Maintenance has been below normal, brake pads, oil, and flush fluids at normal intervals. Volvo dealer maintenance is less expensive than premium brands but I have spent four figures there at least twice. The result in keeping the car up is a 10 year driver, six years in it really shows no wear of any significance. My last Ford Explorer and Sable were well worn by now on the last go around. Wife has S60 same engine her car is bullet proof also. For people who want cars for longevity go with the base 5cyl eng.

The seats are class leading among all cars. Scandinavian design is simple and straight forward they use one button where others use 20. Advanced design ages well, car still has a better interior now than many brand new cars. Safety, Safety, Safety, watch NHTSA videos and tell me other cars are = !

I you love torque you will not enjoy this car's driving experience. If you accelerate normally with 168 hp and the Hondas V6 next to you has 260+ hp you are going to be behind that car. So think of all the gas you are saving with 1/2 the displacement and smile.

Swedish Dragon Wagon
By R2D2

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This much fun ought to be illegal. The V70R is the perfect stealth wagon. Who would expect 0-60 in the mid-5s from a station wagon? With the available aftermarket items (exhaust, sway bars, and engine computer kits), getting 350+ HP is very do-able from only 2.5 liters. The 6-speed manual and brembo brakes make this a pleasure to drive. With 04 and 05 models coming within pricing reach, now is the time to think swede.

Premium sound (11 speakers) with 6 disk changer, in-dash navigation, backup warning system.

Turning radius beats a Greyhound bus, but not by much!

Kept me safe
By Francisca

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned three Volvos. I just had an accident in my 2005 and it kept me safe! Air bags deployed and car was totaled, but I remained safe. I am now shopping around for another v70. Can't say enough about the 2004 and 2005. Attractive but solid!

Love clean lines and lovely interior.

Sometimes I can't see cars on my left well enough when I want to change lanes, since I never wholly rely on the mirrors.