2005 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
120K still drives as new and looks great a great car
By rmo3 on 10/10/11 16:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 T5 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have my 2005 since purchased almost new as a loaner with a 2K on the odo. It is my daily driver kids to school and to work and road miles. I drive more than average abut 25K a year. There have been no major maintenance issues, I did replace a/c at 100k live in FL runs 24/7 here. I had a g tires, brakes, fluids changes and (timing belt at 105K). Dealer service can be expensive but you should follow the maintenance schedule and make sure the last owner did if you are buying high mileage. The vehicle still rock solid gets 25 MPG. Still has a top speed of 130 mph, so those SUV's might pass you with 400 hp but know this the V70 is faster than all of them they are ltd. to 110 :).

Good looking, comfortable cruiser
By direnius on 08/21/11 03:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Living in Istanbul with narrow street and lots of ups and downs I was a bit worried how this car would handle the city. But it did -even better than my previous V40. It's a joy to drive to work every day, but even more fun to drive around in the country side. It's audio (Dynaudio) is wonderfull, the power (2.0T) is more than enough to get the head start, needed once in a while and the comfort is unbeatable. What it lacks is a USB (or even AUX) connection. Thinking that one third of the price Renault's has both a MP3 playing CD player and a USB connection standart, this is something Volvo should be ashamed of. Still it's a beauty and a more good looking station wagon is hard to come by.

Still Going
By Mike on 04/03/10 08:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this V70 car for 92,000 miles. I still drives as new. Only repairs were to a frozen gear shift and head lights started to glaze but were replaced under warranty. Maintenance has been below normal, brake pads, oil, and flush fluids at normal intervals. Volvo dealer maintenance is less expensive than premium brands but I have spent four figures there at least twice. The result in keeping the car up is a 10 year driver, six years in it really shows no wear of any significance. My last Ford Explorer and Sable were well worn by now on the last go around. Wife has S60 same engine her car is bullet proof also. For people who want cars for longevity go with the base 5cyl eng.

Swedish Dragon Wagon
By R2D2 on 10/01/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This much fun ought to be illegal. The V70R is the perfect stealth wagon. Who would expect 0-60 in the mid-5s from a station wagon? With the available aftermarket items (exhaust, sway bars, and engine computer kits), getting 350+ HP is very do-able from only 2.5 liters. The 6-speed manual and brembo brakes make this a pleasure to drive. With 04 and 05 models coming within pricing reach, now is the time to think swede.

Kept me safe
By Francisca on 08/05/09 20:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned three Volvos. I just had an accident in my 2005 and it kept me safe! Air bags deployed and car was totaled, but I remained safe. I am now shopping around for another v70. Can't say enough about the 2004 and 2005. Attractive but solid!

Dependable car
By Vince on 02/21/09 19:52 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have an '03 V70 and liked it so much that we bought the '05. Car is solid, comfortable, and dependable. Normal services and no real problems yet through 62K miles. Does have electrical snafus -- at times the fuel gauge doesn't register fuel remaining, and when cold, the MPG and fuel remaining readings arbitrarily change between the 4 or so displays available. Wide turning radius on the 17" wheels -- larger than the '03 with 16" wheels. Smooth & light steering, but bumpier ride than the '03 due to the 225/45R17 tires I suppose. Engine is responsive and turbo gets car up to freeway speed quickly. Original Pirelli's still on -- probably replace at 70K.

Excellent all-round wagon
By dsensing on 12/20/08 03:20 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We bought our '05 V70 from a friend who had put 93K business miles on it. All services done at Volvo dealer & all records present, two repairs & neither mechanical/automotive. Its Consumer Reports' reliability ratings are actually higher than our son's Infiniti! Standard engine has all the power we need for a wagon. V70 was based on the S80 platform, so much more back seat room than my '05 S60. Great hauling room in back; if you don't want a SUV but need that, this car is for you. Front seats are best in the world, bar none. Auto-wipers are great! 3-position memory seat is great since my wife & daughter & I drive it. Maintenance not expensive if you have a good non-Volvo shop (we do).

My first but not last Volvo
By Bridgewater on 09/18/08 08:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car uses with 50000km on it. There is not a squeak or rattle anywhere. There are so many hidden features that dealer didn't even know. The built in child boosters are amazing. The rain sensing wipers work perfectly. Built into the back seat, cargo nets that hook to the ceiling to keep the dog in the back. Fuel economy isn't the same as my Jetta Wagon even when Volvo says it should be but the car is much bigger so it shouldn't be expected. The bonus of AWD just adds to the car's worth. I would buy another without a second thought.

Better than I thought it would be
By D. Sensing on 07/31/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 93K miles on it from a friend and have put several K miles on it since. The most outstanding feature? Gas mileage! I get 36-plus on the i'state and 29 combined using prem. gas, not so much with regular. The wagon is a great hauler and the reason we bought the car. Very useful cargo space and rear seats fold very easily. Don't mind not having turbo motor; the standard engine has enough power for our needs. All in all an outstanding auto, especially for the price I paid, trade-in value!

Hauls like a mini van and fun to drive
By armchair on 07/09/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V70 2.4 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We recently purchased a 2005 V70 used with only 50000km on the clock. We traded in a our 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6. Our kids were initially disappointed to see the van go, but once we started our vacation with the V70 they were very happy. Seats are way more comfortable, and with the integrated child seats they actually have more rear seat room. We like to cost of filling up compared to the minivan, about 30% better fuel economy, and we are comfortable in Volvo's awesome seats, and the dual zone AC keeps up both happy in the front as we can adjust to our preferences. We recently did an 900KM long weekend trip, and every left the car far more refreshed and relaxed in the Volvo versus the minivan.