2004 Volvo V70 R R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

2004 V70 Consumer Reviews

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (55 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

V70R V"R"ooooom
By Anthony Gagliano

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This Volvo is the best of all worlds. This car incorporates the world-class safety of a Volvo, the dependability and quality of a Volvo, the utility of a wagon (without bucking wind and guzzling fuel like an SUV), distinctive good looks (a Volvo is rarely mistaken for any other brand vehicle) and truly, enviromenally friendly fuel economy. But the fun begins when the twin turbo, 5 cylinder engine is fired. With 300 horses this car is a surprise to everyone...including the driver. The "active chassis" AWD adds additional opportunities for fun while increasing the overall safety of this car.

Favorite Features

This car has the best coat of paint I've seen on an automobile. I've received many comments about it. Also, the seating and overall interior design is excellent. The "R" model includes extra cushioning in the leather seats that are very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Include the retractable cargo barrier net in all V70 wagons. I miss the ones I've had in past Volvo wagons. This one came without that feature and my dealer nor Volvo have not been at all helpful in correcting this; it's an easy fix.

WOW
By tommypaws

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Twenty five years of driving Volvo wagons...this is the best so far.

Favorite Features

5 speed Auto/Geartronic Atacama leather interior Brembo brakes Four-C Electronically controlled Chassis/Suspension w/ 3 settings (SPORT; personal favorite)

Suggested Improvements

should we dare more power?

Awesome Wagon!
By jumpnup22

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was quite surprised with how great this automobile is! I have a Saleen mustang, so I know what some performance is! My wife wanted this car, so we traded the 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser for the V70R. I am overwhelmed with how much fun this car is to drive. It is easy to load, accelerates great, stops even better, and rides like a luxury car. All this, and it gets great gas mileage. I have a feeling this one will be in the family for quite a long time! If you can find one, BUY IT!

re review
By Jim L

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I posted above in a different name and have found that I really LOVE this wagon more and more every day. Yes, I did have to do a slight mod on the seat for my back and the headlights (high beams) are still poor but overall this wagon is a blast to drive and has been 100% reliable now with nearly 5K on it. Wonderful cruiser, I make excuses to drive it, and am driving it much faster than I should be as at speed, it's just wonderful.(and very usful in all catagories) Jim

Favorite Features

Comfort, general handling and brakes, usefullness and a real sleeper

Suggested Improvements

US high beams are the joke of the century. Could use a bit of "tweaking" in the power delivery

Excellence in a performacne wagon
By v70rNJ

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After 3900 miles, with summer and winter tires, car is broken in and mpg is right up there as advertised. Excellent acceleration in all 6 gears (at least below 100 mph - I haven't had it up into triple digit land). Seats are outstanding providing you don't need to lose weight, they are firmly bolstered. Sport mode 4C is excellent, comfort good for long hails on the interstates or if you have back seat passengers. Braking, overall handling dry, wet, crosswinds, all excellent.

Favorite Features

Suspension, brakes, good power in all gears, flat torque curve, smooth shifting, optional sound system also excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder gets in way of shifting if tall bottles put in it. Right now there are no aftermarket wheels, car definitely needs winter/summer tires and changing is easier with two sets of wheels, but OEM Phaetons are stylish and priced reasonably.

Used Volvo
By cdona58838

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased a used 2001 volvo and it has been an excellent car so far. Not only has the car been a smart purchase, but the decision to buy from this dealership was a good one as well. We have had excellent correspondence with them. I would purchase another Volvo later in life. Maybe a sedan afer the children are in college? Great Cars! Cynthia

Favorite Features

It has just too many things to have an exact favorite. Love it all.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of.

Take a test drive u won't be sorry
By JLZ

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in my old A6 Avant. This is an excellent car, Always makes you feel confindent to step on the gas. In bumper to bumper traffic you are pampered by one of the best sound systems on the market and a comfort set suspension. On the open road you can gun it, the suspension and stearing are flawless. And best of all very few people know what you got under the hood. GREAT CAR!!!!!

Favorite Features

Sound System. Mark Levinson systems don't come close.

Suggested Improvements

Less mundane interior. Current feel of the interior does not do the car justice.

V70R GT
By GSHEETS

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I LIKE THE V70R VERY MUCH.THE QUALITY AND FIT -FINISH SEEMS TO BE VERY GOOD.THE ONLY COMPLAINT THAT I REALLY HAVE IS THAT VOLVO ADVERTISED THE V70R AS HAVING A BETTER PROFORMANCE RECORD THAN IT SEEM TO HAVE.A CAR THAT COST IN THE MID TO HIGH 40S AND HAS A CLAIMED 300 HP SHOULD HAVE BETTER NUMBERS.

Favorite Features

1. THE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM IS ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE HEARD. 2. THE FOUR-C TECNOLOGY MAKES THE V70R ONE OF THE BEST HANDLING AND SAFEST CARS ON THE ROAD. 3. THE EXTERIOR COLOR OF MY V70R IS FLASH GREEN AND THE INTERIOR COLOR IS ATACAMA THIS COLOR COMBO IS GREAT..

Suggested Improvements

WOOD TRIM WOULD BE NICE.TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE 12V ELECTRICTAL OUTLET ON THE DASH. VOLVO NEEDS TO MAKE AVAILABLE AN UPGRADE IN A PROFORMANCE PROGRAM, THIS WOULD IMPROVE THE PROFORMANCE OF CARS WITH THE GT TRANSMITION.

I love this car
By Eric Nelson

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

If you can only have a single car, this is the best one to get. The only significant fault is the large turning radius, which you can learn to deal with.It is just as fast as the 540 and S6, but with the following advantages: vs 540 wagon: 540 has no manual tranny, and the V70R has a nicer/larger interior. The 540 is also miserable in the snow due to rear wheel drive, and is 20K more. vs Audi S6: no manual, smaller interior, 20K more, lousy stereo, lousy crash tests, lousy dealers/service.

Favorite Features

Atacama leather, manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

all minor, see my post on swedespeed.

Awesome!
By shrooman

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car. Very very fast, excellent handling and exceptional braking power. The interior is beautifull..I got the Ti Grey and Nordkap enterior. Great dash and nightime lighting. For 42 k you get great nav system, 320watt stereo, all wheel drive, 300hp and a wagon with a great stick shift!!!! What more do you want?? I do wish it had a slightly tighter turning radius though.

Favorite Features

Nav, In car phone, 300 watt stereo, Stick shift on a wagon, all wheel drive, great sport seats, 300 hp w turbo.