Used 2004 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo V70

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Extremely Reliable, Extremely Safe & Fun
By MadeInJapan

2004 Volvo V70 2.5T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our 3rd Volvo and I would probably rate Performance & Fun to Drive as 10's if it wasn't for also owning a S70 that has an upgraded ECU. But this V70 is just phenomenal! No repairs! It has air bags everywhere even in the pillars so curtain airbags will inflate if you're in a side impact- very safe! We like the power off the line that this car offers and nimble steering although it's a luxury car- great for tireless trips w/ the extremely comfortable seats. Upgraded to IPD swaybars & HD endlinks as well as a drop in K&N air filter. I knew these would make a difference in performance even before I bought the car...and well worth it! Also changed out the donut to a full size spare.

Favorite Features

2 FOBs programmed so when either my wife or I open the door, the seats and mirrors are reset correctly to the respective FOBs. Grocery tray in the rear. Arrive rested after driving all day- comfortable heated seats. Easy to do oil changes, transmission flush, other maintenance from forum help.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to improve on, but the cabin filter is a bit hard to get to I suppose and rear seat leg room is a bit cramped. Otherwise, it's perfect. Avoid unnecessary and expensive dealer service. Their support is less than desirable.

God I Love Hot Rod Wagons
By toyesq1971

2004 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

My biggest problem with this car is that it's my wife's to drive on the weekdays. She needs it for the kids. I find myself at work looking forward to the weekend, when I get to drive it. As with any Volvo, it's a tank. The brakes are normally quite good, but the V70R brakes stop on half a dime. It feels like it has a lot more than the rated 300 HP. My Boss's S6 wagon just doesn't match it. We have the orange leather interior, which pushes it over the edge to PHAT. Or at least as phat as a Volvo can ever be. A little part of me died when Volve announced this year that they were discontinuing it.

Favorite Features

Interior details and seats. Acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Give more front clearance. I've ripped the bumper off repeatedly.

Volvo V70R
By Jerry K

2004 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, great car for small/growing families. Reliable, even in snow.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine gives 300hp, still at low insurance costs. Also, 4WD has done great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is quite bad. Fuel mileage (about 17mpg)

2004 V70R
By John Landis

2004 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Car has been great except for the Pirelli P6"s. They wore out in about 15000 miles and were terrible in the snow even when they were new. They were replaced with Micheln Pilot Sport A/S's. They lasted 30,000 miles and were decent in the snow. Except for a bad reverse light switch I have had no problems with the car.

Favorite Features

Handling and performance. Great brakes

Suggested Improvements

Don't sell it with Pirelli P6's. They are terrible in the snow and if you get over 15.000 miles on them you'll be lucky.

2004 V70R
By Edgar Oscar

2004 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

An outstanding car all the way around. Fun to drive, completely stealthy at the line, and will beat many performance cars before they even know they are near another (since it is a wagon). it is well built and stylish, has great performance, safety, and reliability. OUTSTANDING!

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, stealth factor safety as well

Suggested Improvements

tighter turning radius