2004 Volvo V70 Consumer Review: (Very) Swift AND Stylish

2004 Volvo V70 - Consumer Review

R Wagon (2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual)

(Very) Swift AND Stylish
By karen b on

2004 Volvo V70 R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The LAST thing I thought I'd get was another Volvo--but after testing the Lexus RX 330 and the VW Touraeg and beind dissatisfied with both, my husband talked me into visiting the Volvo folks before I turned the XC in. I'd heard about the V 70 R, asked to see one. They had one on the lot ("hard to come by")--I drove it and took it home. Daily driving has become a pleasure--I love it so much I often wash it myself. And it's stealth-fast: I'm still treasuring the shock on a Carerra 4S owner's face when I blazed past him on my way to work (same hp)...Nobody knows what this car can do unless they've been in one or have driven one. Finally--a hot Mommy car!

interior design, good lumbar support in seats, sound system, A/C in rear panels for back seat passengers (all of whom say there's enough legroom).

Nav system works great but steering column buttons make input tedious and clumsy; FUEL EFFICIENCY: the average mpg is advertised at 18--I'm a prudent driver (except for that atypicaldrag race with the Carerra), and I've not gotten beyond 14.2 mpg. Not good enough.