2004 Volvo V70 R - Consumer Reviews

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (55 reviews )
Amazing Wagon!
By jadedj on 05/09/11 13:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had the six-speed version of this twin turbo 300HP behemoth for about 6 months now and love it. Although the interior isn't as luxurious as my old Audi, it does the job just fine and when considering how much faster this thing is, I'll take performance over interior any day. There truly is no other station wagon with this type of power and handling that comes in a six-speed anymore. Add in AWD and we're talking about a car that can go anywhere.

300 hp big turns
By MiamiTVR on 06/09/10 14:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned many Volvos. The 300 hp 6 speed is what got me into this one not to mention the fun blue leather. If the clutch had not gone out before 30K and Volvo not suggested it was my fault, had the lip of the wheels not stuck out further than the tires seeking out curbs to rub on, had the front spoiler not stuck out a couple of inches too far and one too low, had the paint and leather been Volvo-like and less prone to showing every slight rub as a permanent scar, had they made head rests and door pillars and mirrors so they could be seen around and, most importantly, had they designed it to turn in less space than a cruise ship I would have rated it higher. Pretty not Volvo tough.

Simply Irresistable!
By JP on 02/02/10 18:13 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

My Volvo is now 6 years old with 97,000 miles, so I decided it was time to trade for a new car. I have been car shopping for over a week, looking at Audi, Saab, Cadillac, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus etc. I have test driven over a dozen cars, each time hoping I have found "the one". But based on features, performance, MPG and most every measure I can think of, I just can't find any car that can compare with my V70R. I am really stumped, but have concluded that I already have the best vehicle for the money. It still runs great and has no rattles. So instead I just bought a new set of tires and a fresh oil change. I really do want a new car, but can't find anything that qualifies as a "move up".

Volvo for Life - 2004 V70R
By RollNR John Miller on 04/21/09 09:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a great all purpose vehicle and HIGH performance for the money. Where can you get a car that will exceed 140 mph and transport 10ft pieces of pipe inside with 4 people. The ride is as good as the road you are driving on!! You have the feel of control at all speeds. The factor of Safety was never lost with this car. This is my fifth Volvo since 1988. The wagon V70R is a sleeper on the road.

It's Been Fun
By RHS on 12/23/08 15:03 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Sometimes there is a bright and fun momemt when I remember what this car will do. Mostly it is used in normal service where it functions admirably. But when it has the opportunity it is a brilliant and extremely well balanced road car. I love it. My only complaint is that Volvo-Ford copped out on the interior stuff--too much plastic especially.

Good value
By Ed on 08/26/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

First the negatives: wide turning radius and poorly designed interface of the "premium" sound system. Otherwise this attractive, well built wagon has served our family well. It's 300hp still obtains 22mpg in city driving and 28mpg in 70mph freeway driving.

Rides Like a Go-Cart
By Brian Funk on 05/04/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Yes the V70R can do it all. Absolutly it is an amazing machine. But, however the ride is very rough. You hit small bumps and it's like terrible even on comfort mode. I put a decent dent in the back rim just going over railroad tracks too fast. I sold my V70R within 6 months of having it, just couldn't handle the bumpy ride.

God I Love Hot Rod Wagons
By toyesq1971 on 04/29/08 13:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

My biggest problem with this car is that it's my wife's to drive on the weekdays. She needs it for the kids. I find myself at work looking forward to the weekend, when I get to drive it. As with any Volvo, it's a tank. The brakes are normally quite good, but the V70R brakes stop on half a dime. It feels like it has a lot more than the rated 300 HP. My Boss's S6 wagon just doesn't match it. We have the orange leather interior, which pushes it over the edge to PHAT. Or at least as phat as a Volvo can ever be. A little part of me died when Volve announced this year that they were discontinuing it.

Volvo V70R
By Jerry K on 12/08/07 12:19 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, great car for small/growing families. Reliable, even in snow.

2004 V70R
By John Landis on 01/09/07 19:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V70 R R 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Car has been great except for the Pirelli P6"s. They wore out in about 15000 miles and were terrible in the snow even when they were new. They were replaced with Micheln Pilot Sport A/S's. They lasted 30,000 miles and were decent in the snow. Except for a bad reverse light switch I have had no problems with the car.