Used 2002 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Love My Volvo
By Volvo Saved My Life

2002 Volvo V70 2.4T AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After my prior Volvo V70 AWD wagon was squashed by a truck that went airborne on top of it, and I lived through it, I had to have another one. I went out of state to get a rare combo, V70 with AWD (not an XC) plus the nav system. I have been extremely happy with this car, my 4th Volvo. The nav system rises up out of the dash, so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. It's great on snow and ice, with amazing braking power, it's gorgeous, and it gets good gas mileage. You have to keep it in alignment, or the AWD will go through tires. It's also a little too polite about letting you know you're low on gas. Keep it aligned and gassed up and you'll love this car.

Favorite Features

AWD, amazing handling/turns at high speed (this model is slightly lower to the ground than the XC), nav system, braking system, overall strength for crash safety, elegant body style (doesn't have the cladding of the XC), leather seats (without the X's found on the XC model).

Suggested Improvements

I had the steering wheel changed out for the regular firmer type when I bought it (I don't like a padded steering wheel, too little control). The low fuel level indicator is a tiny little light, no bell, no other warning. Watch it or you'll run out of gas. Unsafe & not a very Volvo thing to do.

works for me
By wagon lover

2002 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Even with a few glitches, I'd rather drive this sporty European wagon than any of its bland Japanese or American competitors, and none of them can hold five kids. Bought used last winter. Had a few gremlins in front suspension, but local dealership did great job of diagnosing and fixing. No problems since then after 10k miles city driving. No complaints about dealer service, but not cheap. Car is fun to drive; handles beautifully on turns, accelerates quickly, and cruises smoothly at supra-legal highway speeds. Not that I drive like that. Big turning radius hasn't been an issue. Lots of features, marvelous seats, and a kickin' stereo make long drives a pleasure.

Favorite Features

Outruns everything in the school parking lot. Looks butch with 17-inch stock wheels and low-profile tires.

Suggested Improvements

No compass? Interior plastics are a bit hard compared to Japanese competition. Headrests not adjustable. Sunroof a tad noisy. Minor turbo lag. Steering effort somewhat high. All minor issues.

Best Car Ever
By USArmy ChiefWO3

2002 Volvo V70 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is our 3 Volvo and it's my favorite. When I was 12 yo, I almost lost my Mom in a car accident and I thought to myself "when I grow up I'll buy the safest car in the market so my kids won't have experience such sadness" Well, I'm now a mother of two and I love to put my kids in the car. I know I'm driving them around not only in comfort buy Safe. We all love it. My husband doesn't usually like to drive but since we bought this V70 we have made trips up to ten hours and I tell you what an experience. I wish everyone could drive this car.

Favorite Features

Built in booster seats for the kids and the safety reverse automatic windows in case some ones arm or finger gets cought while going up.

Suggested Improvements

built in sensor for the windshield wipers.

Why buy an SUV?
By kiddie car pool dad

2002 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Had to get a 7-seat vehicle for the school car pool, but wife hasn't yet figured out that I didn't get a T5 just for the nice seats. Bought used with 50K miles two weeks ago. This car has great power, but don't punch the accellerator unless you really mean it. Has every safety feature available on any new car and a superb stereo. The gas tank is ridiculously big; driven from Memphis to DC (around 850 miles) on less than two tanks of gas. Lots of thoughtful features on mine: integrated second row child boosters; built-in second row tray table with cup holders; built-in cargo compartment divider; clever rear-facing third row seats that my kids adore; electronic child-proof door locks.

Favorite Features

The twin turbo gives you all the power you could ever ask for in a family car. Feels as safe as Fort Knox and has Swiss Army knife versatility. Better gas mileage and safety ratings than any SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Sport suspension does cause a few rattles here and there. No coin box in the dash?

I would buy it again!!!!!!!!!!
By Lorenzo

2002 Volvo V70 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Great car, bought it for me but wife felt in love with it and stole it! Great stability, precise steering at any speed. Super comfortable front seats. Back seats to narrow and not enough leg room especially if the driver has long legs like mine (I am 6'2"). Great car stereo. Great horn. Great brake system, very safe car. The 2.5 is and adequate engine, altough I recommend T or superior engine if you like a better picup. Very elegant!!

Favorite Features

Front seats very confortable, love the eletric control. Brake syst. excellent. Stereo has serious bass!! Very usefull also the integrated boster seats in the back (optional).Super cargo area when seats are down, supercool sefty net to stop cargo integrated in the seats.

Suggested Improvements

Essential more leg room and hip room for the back seats. Overall they have done a great job!!