Used 2002 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

I love my VOLVO!
By KxVx

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my Volvo because I was familiar with the reliably of the brand, as my first car was a 240 DL. I've been very happy with it, and it gets great gas mileage for a car with such get-up-and-go.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel, premium sound system, sunroof, great handling, cargo space, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

A/C controls on steering wheel (Lincolns have it, so I know it can be done!), cross bars standard on roof rack (lengthwise ones are almost useless without them!), and I think the wheel base should be widened just a little, because where I live we have speed lumps, and this wagon is just too narrow.

Fabulous and Fun V70
By MaineTrees

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

After 4 years and 50K+ miles I still love this car. It is a joy to drive. Seat comfort is superb. I can drive for hours with no back ache. Braking system is superb. This is the non-turbo model and has plenty of pep with the 5 speed auto transmission. 32 MPG highway at 70 mph. About 22-23 in the city. Repairs and scheduled maint are expensive at the dealer!! Find a good independent garage and stick to the maintenance schedule. You will save lots of $$. Change the trans fluid every 40K miles, the claimed lifetime trans fluid interval is baloney. The cost of a new tranny will make you cry!

Favorite Features

Who would think a wagon would be fun to drive? This one really is. Love the seat comfort, interior design, brakes and safety features. These cars will easily run for 250k miles with proper maintenance. Rear door panels are a plastic like Saturns.

Suggested Improvements

Driving position is low. Cannot see around any SUV at a light or stop sign.

Eats Wheel Bearings
By run4fun12

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car has had 6 wheel bearing replacements in 130,000 miles. Spoke of record with an engineer at bearing supplier. Said the bearings are not adequate for parts of North American market. Inner wheels fill with mud and harden creating vibration when driving. I don't recommend this car if you live or travel on dirt roads.

Favorite Features

Wife loves it. Repair shop owner loves it too. Very expensive to repair.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade wheel bearing system. Redesign wheel mud splash and drainage.

Buyer Beware!!!
By Tim

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 32k miles on it in 2004. We bought a certified pre- owned Volvo which extended the warranty to 100,000 miles. It cost $1,500 extra (at least that's what the dealer said). I'm glad that we got the extended warranty because we needed it approximately 12-15 times in 3 years of ownership for major repairs. I've never had so many problems with any car that I've ever owned. Most of the problems were related to vaious sensors on the car and the car went into sort of a limp mode on 2 or 3 occasions which reallty caused a lot of worry about getting stranded on the side of the road. We got rid of it and bought a new Toyota Sienna. Volvo is by far the worst car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

When it did run right, it handled fairly smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability...Reliability...Reliability. This is a family car and I always worried that my wife and kids would get stranded somewhere. The interior has too much plastic. Buyer Beware. If you do buy one, make sure that you get the extended warranty because you WILL need it.

Great Car!!
By netguy5000

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fantastic, at 59000 miles with nothing but tires and oil changes, it still runs great. I'd recommend it to anyone. The rear seven for 7 passengers is a great feature too.

Favorite Features

3rd row seat, nice stereo, turbo power.

Suggested Improvements

an end-user-resetable service indicator would be nice for us DIY oil changers.