Uneven Likeability
By sbe79 on
2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
I have V70 T5 model. It has 147K on it. I have to say that I really, really like the car. I just don't enjoy the difficulties that come along with it. It drives, mostly, great. I like the way it handles. It may be a station wagon, but it's still an interesting car. The leather interior is miles better than Volvo was using in the 90s. However, the transmission had to be rebuilt before I even got it off the used dealership lot. One year later, it struggles to go from 1st to 2nd gear in the morning. The driver's side control panel on the door works infrequently (so most of the time, my window won't go down and I can't lock the doors remotely). Mechanic can't find the issue.
Favorite Features
Good handling. Good overall layout. Great amount of space in a nice-looking car that aesthetically holds up after 12 years. Fun to drive. It fits me, my wife, our 2 teenage boys and a carseat for our toddler nicely.
Suggested Improvements
The transmissions in these are crap. Electrically, it's a bit iffy. The door panel is one thing. The car does this weird thing also when it's off and sitting in the driveway -- the fan will turn on and air will blow out the inside vents. For no apparent reason. It also makes a noise inside the dashboard when you first open the driver's door. Kind of sounds like a CD changer switching CDs, except my CD changer is in the trunk not the dash. It makes the noise and then winds down like it has a dying battery inside until it just stops. I suppose a lot of the other stuff is basic wear and tear, I just wish the electrical aspect wasn't so wonky. It would be pricey to fix it all.