Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Going Strong at 160K
By drh

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Now at 160K with no problems. New tires and preventive care is all this volvo has asked for 8 years. Very fun and comfortable ride with the 2.4turbo and luxury cabin. Besides family of five chores and vacations, we take this volvo antiquing and regularly treat it like a truck. On the highway we get 28-30mpg on regular grade fuel.

Quick acceleration with turbo and good gas mileage. Easy to check fluids.

More legroom in back.

XC is a big improvement over SUV
By ericj

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After 2 small SUV's I bought the XC. With the interior capacity, roof rack with cross rails and roof storage container, I can carry more than when I had an SUV. The ride is much smoother and the power of the turbo helps getting on the highway. I get about 18mpg around town and 28mpg on the highway. I have kept up with maintenance and only had a problem with a leaky angle drive. I have to drive farther for work, so I am putting more highway mileage on it. Very comfortable to drive long distance.

Driving visibility, ride, storage capacity, 2-stage heated seats, memory seat/ mirror positions

Less expensive additional/ replacement keys, rear seat legroom with front seats back, greatly improved owner light replacement

Were Do I Start?
By art

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I am 59 years old and I have owned about 8-10 volvos during my life. Most recently I purchased a used off of a lease v-70 T-5 with 47000 miles on it. It had a full service till 100K. If it did not have that I would have gone broke. Here is a list. 2 radiators, one ac unit, one transmission, numerous electrical problems, 2 replaced sunroofs. Most recently I have to stuff rags and paper into the sunroof area to keep the sunroof from rattling. Numerous rattles in the car, rough ride and the list goes on. My previous car was an acura which give up the ghost at 225,000 miles. This volvo is a piece of junk. I would stay away like a bad cold. Never again. Then I found out that most of the

None

If the swedes starting building the car again perhaps give it a second chance. Otherwise Ford and italian electrical system( low bidder I am sure) has destroyed a once great name plate.

European Disappointment
By sailon

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Expected Volvo lifetime, got Ford reliability. Well known transmission problem as listed on web, tailgate lift springs both shot, replaced top torque motormount after I could see daylight thru it, all rubber bushings in the suspension replaced after 85000 miles. Might be sophisticated European engineering, but LOUSY execution and parts quality. I will probably take the seats out and use them to watch TV in in my living room, and scrap the car. STAY away from this pile of junk.

Gas mileage, great ride, carrying capacity

Volvo MUST improve reliability / and design for ease of repair. The mechanics salivate when I bring it in,the labor is their kids to school It was my first and last Volvo.

WHAT A LEMON!
By v70owner

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car in Sept of 2005 with 50K miles on it. We have had nothing but problems. Full transmission replacement in 08' under warranty, locks failed, seatbelts in back all failed had to be replaced, throttle control module, battery issues. You name it, we've had it with this one. As soon as we're able, we are getting rid of this car!

Looks nice. Sits comfortably while waiting for tow trucks to arrive.

What's not to improve. This car is terrible!