2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Safe but not reliable
By sinew23 on 05/01/06 19:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I wanted a Volvo because of its safety. I picked the XC70 because it had all wheel drive. Since we've had this car, it's had nothing but problems. First, we had to replace all the bushings for the suspension system which cost me $1800. Next the EMT failed which cost another $1200. Now, they're telling me the torque mount, inner tie rod and rear lumbar rod needs replacing and it's going to cost me another $1500.

No more trucks for this texan
By no truck texan on 01/28/06 15:02 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this volvo reluctantly because of worries about reliability; however, this wagon has FAR exceeded my expectations. It is quick, capable in any road condition and gets much better milage than my former suburban and sequoia. I have had NO issues with this car in over a year with the exception of burnt out headlights which I had read about- my dealer replaces them for free, so I don't mind! I will most definatley buy another one when this one wears out!!

2001 v70xc
By vb on 12/17/05 18:15 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car reminds me of the old english sports cars... a dream to drive WHEN they're working. I've had reliablity issues with this car since day one. Interior and exterior parts are flimsy and break. Front end built too light for American roads. Poor support by dealer. I don't think they know how to fix it, they just replace parts till the problem goes away. I would say.. STAY AWAY from this car.

Love this Car!
By Sarah D on 11/16/05 14:02 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first experience not only with Volvo, but also a wagon. It has more than met my expectations in a car. I feel very safe putting my 2 chilren in it everyday. Comfortable and roomy throughout, but durable and sturdy. I don't think I will ever drive any thing other than a Volvo. I have driven the sedans also, and enjoyed those as well.

excellent all around vehicle
By Tyler on 09/11/05 04:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

We now have 65K miles on our black V-70 T-5, and appreciate more and more each day. With the optional sport seats, we can drive for 5 hours pain free. The car drives like a luxury car on the freeway, but handles like a well-tuned sports sedan on the back roads. It has incredible mid-range passing capabilities. If driven under 80 mph on long road trips it will cover 525 miles per tank. The only down side of owning this car, is the tire life on the optional 17" wheels (20-25K), and they aren't cheap. It is a kick in the pants to drive, can hold 5 people and their luggage, or fold the seats down and it can swallow an antique side- board. It's a sleeper hot rod, family hauler & truck!

My next car will be another XC70!
By GMLovesVolvo on 08/18/05 21:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had heard about other bad experiences with Volvo but really wanted this wagon instead of an SUV. I have had no problems in over a year (except for headlights which every time my dealership has replaced within 5 minutes and given me for free). This car drives like a dream in the city and is awesome on long car trips. I do not get the kind of mileage the reviews say (18 city, 25 hwy) I average 21.7 in the city and over 26 on the highway! Way to go Volvo!

v70's great
By gman on 08/07/05 02:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

car drives like and suv and performs like a sports car handles well at high speeds and does well off road.the looks are very manly and the inside very womanly. the ground clearance is very high and better than most pickups. interior comfort is very good and the noise level inside is very low. the stero is excellant with the safty features be best around.

Disappointed in our 2001 XC
By Shasta on 08/02/05 15:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

What a disappointment! Our volvo xc was my dream car but we've had nothing but problems with it and we're still experiencing problems. At first the problems were minor and under warranty, so it wasn't any big deal. But we have an extended warranty but it wouldn't cover the $1000 throttle that went out. Our volvo dealership indicates that it's common for the throttle to go out and this was at less than 60K miles. We won't buy another one and I'm hoping to get rid of this one before anything else goes wrong! These are too overpriced for all the maintenance that is required.

Problem free
By Marin on 07/07/05 17:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. Superb for long trips. The only problem I have had is that the radio won't keep its settings. Others complain about headlight life, but mine were upgraded as part of a recall and have been trouble free. The interior has held up very well and people still complement the exterior styling. Obtain 22 mpg in mixed driving, 26+ on the highway. Replaced tires at 43,000 miles.

Best car yet
By Todd on 07/03/05 17:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Excellent service at the dealor. Car is the best car I've owned so far! Fun driving, reliable, safe and sharp looking.