Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

DO NOT Buy a used 2001 XC
By The Sluffy

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved the design of these Cross Country wagons, very handsome, and the interior fit and finish is really beautiful in this car, but otherwise this think is an abosule MESS. Stay away at all costs. I have owned two other Volvos in the past, but this piece of junk has really soured me on Volvo. Its too bad...but I think the 2000 and 2001/2002 are really bad reliability wise. Ive had to replace the transmission, there is always something going wrong with the car, and its so crazy expensive to get it fixed, at least $500 to $1000 each time it goes to the shop. Im dumping this piece of junk before it eats my lunch.

Interior seats are very comfortable, Interior design of car is great, and the exterior of car is distinctive and interesting.

Make a better car that lives up to Volvos claim. The only reason they are the safest cars on the road is because they are in the shop being fixed for 1/2 their existence!

8.5 years of the same vehicle
By Pete

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this car since purchased new in August of 2000. I love driving the car, handling is crisp. I have got over 30 mpg on several occasions. It is so comfortable to drive and ride in, the seats are perfect for almost every body type. I had the same transmission problem that people mention on this website.

Seats, handling, stereo system, turbo and horsepower, reliability, great gas mileage, absolutely no rust after 92,000 miles. I always used Mobil 1 synthetic. These 5 cylinder engines are bullet proof! Never an engine problem. I just plain love this car!

Extras are way too expensive.

never again!
By nomorevolvos

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought Volvos were better cars. You know, Sweden has harsh weather and terrain, so the vehicles produced there should be appropriately durable. maybe they have that public health care thing for cars also. yes, add me to the list of casualties. I bought my V70 XC last year and have had nothing but problems. Transmission was jerky so I took it to the dealer, only to have it reflashed with no improvement. While there, they discovered bad trans and engine mounts, leaking angle drive and several broken suspension components. This is in addition to the $2000 scheduled maintenance, adding up to almost what I paid for this vehicle. The service and repair history I requested was 34 pages!

It looks cool, I'm just not sure it will get me from point a to point b without a stop at the repair shop in between. Will definitely go back to a Japanese car.

Make it work right and not fall apart! Second worst car I ever owned, first being a 96 stratus. Don't buy either.

Versatile Family Wagon
By XC Family

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If you want to drive a car/wagon without feeling tons of weight and moving a hefty-size SUV, this is the crossover that you need. I've definitely found myself in love with this XC wagon, not just me but my entire family. It's such a versatile everyday car. Also come in handy moving stuff and going for long trips. Plus the Volvo's legendary safety features loaded in this car. The only thing I would do differently is to buy this car earlier. Gas mileage is quite good in its class, I get around 22 to 24 for mostly sub-urban city driving.

All wheel drive, comfy seats, huge and easy-access "truck" space, rear A/C, front & rear foglight

Maybe standardize HID lights. My 2001 doesn't come with it. However, the foglights help.

Trannie is a mess!
By MaPage

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I too have had transmission issues. I never thought it was right from the beginning. Bought it used off lease with 65K. Motor mount issues, bad radio, cruise control problems, at 130,00 the transmisson is a mess, two motor mounts shot and with a 30K tune up and new tires needed I'm folding! This is my 5th and last Volvo. Ford really screwed these cars up! I'm buying a Saab. My son's is 13 yrs old and handles better than my Volvo. Too bad I was a huge fan and loved my old cars. This one too but can't afford it!

Interior, folding seats, flexibility!

Better mechanical works, too tempermental!