2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Not reliable any longer
By Dianne on 03/15/07 05:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When my husband passed I needed a reliable car. I purchased a used XCV70Turbo in June 2004. I have driven Volvos for 30 years, 7 new and this one used. I felt confident I had a dependable vehicle. The car performed well until February 2007 when the engine began missing and stalling. My dealer said the engine has failed and is ruined. It is still under warranty but the warranty company refuses to honor it. The car has 75,000 miles on it. I now have no car and it will cost me several thousand to just get it off my hands - I still owe more than the dealer will give me even for a trade in. I will not be throwing this kind of money at Volvo ever again. Sad ending to a long friendship w Volvo.

Love/hate relationship
By Car guy on 02/11/07 12:38 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car with the intention of keeping it for a long time. With 64,000 mi. this car is the most unreliable (by far) vehicle I've ever owned! I spent nearly $2000 at 60,000 mi. for service and repairs and 3000 mi. later the service light is on again. I am on the third main computer module (thankfully under warranty), ABS module ($1000), the throttle module left me stranded hundreds of miles from home. I've replaced a wheel bearing, power steering problems and countless light bulbs repeatedly. Easily over $2000 in repairs alone, not including tires, brakes, regular maintenance, etc. Great when it works, but can no longer trust it! Will be replaced soon, not Volvo.

Afraid what the future may bring
By Glamrgyrl on 01/30/07 21:15 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my XC for 1 year now. I just took the car in for the 60k mile and was told I also needed to replace inner tie rods, along with some other expensive repair. I noticed one other reviewer also had to replace. I find this to be ridiculous. The worst thing, my car jolts, jumps, throttles off and I had the software replacement on the recall. Last night check engine light on when I just spent $1600 last month at the shop. This is scary. I am a loyal Volvo customer, this is my 2nd wagon (last one was 12 yrs old), but I don't think I will purchase another. The throttle problem is a dangerous one as you don't know when the car is not going to respond?

Great ride but one repair after another
By ksmith905 on 12/17/06 20:01 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I do love the feel, looks, and power of this car. It is ergonomically the best car I've yet owned. I am, however, completely fed up with the many repairs (expensive ones at that) that I've needed for the last 3 years (since the warranty expired). I replaced emission sensors twice, replaced strut top caps, replaced the drive shaft. I have lost confidence in this car... intermittent "emissions system service required" & ABS service required" messages, one blinker bulb or another blowing out every 4 months or so. A month ago a hissing by the brake pedal. Diagnosis: time to replace the brake booster - $800. Tonight a new message: "transmission service required". Argh!

Great Choice for the family
By humantorch on 10/14/06 18:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had heard a lot about Volvos but never driven one. We saw this V7-T5 today in the lot and knew that second..this is the car we need. We test drove ...it was great...the leather, gps, sunroof...the works. The car feels quality..inside/out..and when we got the Carfax report...and it says..the car was imported directly from Sweden..that sold us... Great buy...we traded my 2001 Intrepid...with 140k miles..

Best used car Ive owned!
By Wagon of Wagons! on 09/16/06 13:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned 2 other Volvo wagons prior to this one. A 94' 850 T-5, 99' XC and my current 01' V70 T-5. I live in Anchorage, Alaska and decided on the 2 wheel drive model due to my previous XC was a nightmare with repairs. Drive handling with my 2001 V70 during winter has been pleasant on slippery roads with the normal all weather tires. The winter tires rubbed against the wheel wells while turning and elected to ditch them. The lower ground clearance helps with stability with little body roll in turns I've noticed. Transmission takes a little getting use to for effective use. I've found when accelerating from a stop it was best to ease on the gas which allowed gears to catch up.

Sorry Volvo
By rkientz on 08/11/06 17:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Cruise control works randomly half the time. Message center randomly shows that engine needs service. Fuel door fell off the car three times. Message center has shown exterior lights out but none found. replaced the front end suspension at 55,000 miles. (wife's car). Engine roar at idle very annoying.

Expensive, with dangerous design flaws
By Will Jennings on 08/04/06 05:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

At 5 years and 50,000 miles, our 2001 XC70 needed: a new ignition-key tumbler ($600), a new set of rear shocks ($750), which had destroyed a 6 month old set of tires and required their replacement ($650). Lastly, its solenoid transmission design failed while we were on the highway, cutting all power in a critical, dangerous situation. Solution? $3,400 for a new transmission. Together with some minor glitch fixes also not covered by warranty, our 'new car' has cost an avg of $1,250 per year in repairs alone. Proving, once again, you never actually own a Volvo...you just keep paying rent to your mechanic, local towers, and Volvo dealer service. Volvo Customer Care = total fraud.

2nd Upate on V70T5
By Hieatt on 07/27/06 11:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

It has been 2 years since my last update. Purchased my T5 out of my lease 2 years ago - car is now 5 years old with 62K miles. Thank god I purchased the VIP warranty. Took it in for the $700 60K service (!) and mentioned a knocking sound from the suspension and also a bad oil leak. They found knocking was result of broken sway bar connectors and a broken engine mount (over $700 in repairs), and the oil leak was from the engine block itself, and may require replacement of the whole engine!!! They have had car for over a week. This was after replacing a seal on the turbo return ($150 repair) on the previous service. VIP warranty good for 2 more years or 100K miles - will sell before then.

Volvo dropped the ball on the V70 series
By gedafe on 06/18/06 15:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My family and I have driven Volvos for most of our lives, from the old 240's up to today's V70's. I have to say that (arguably) though looks have improved, quality control has not. Sure my V70 looks top notch, but I've had multiple issues with the car from the brakes to the ETM to the suspension. All of these problems are not cheap to fix, ranging from $700-1200 a visit. It seems that Volvo dropped the ball on their 2001 line of V70's, and they're not considering any recalls. You'll find many owners having the same problems: ETM gives out while driving at highway speeds, the clunk felt when starting up from a stopped position, the brake rotors needing replacement every 20K miles, etc.