Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

'01 V70 T5 - Thumbs Up!
By Rick

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

New to the Volvo world but my brother has owned three, including his current '02 V70. Just brought home our '01 T5 last month; it's a well-maintained 2-owner w. 95k mi. I've owned various BMWs, Jaguars, VWs, etc. & this Volvo compares very well. From the interior & exterior design to the performance & fun of driving, the car has an overall feel of real quality & thoughtful engineering. As preventative maintenance, I changed the timing belt (incl. tensioner & pulley) & water pump after the purchase; also put in a new cabin air filter. The '01 V70 sometimes gets a bad rap, but I suspect that's at least as much owner issues as the car itself. Thumbs up on a great car, especially the T5.

Performance; comfort; safety, handling, quality, value.

Good to go as is!

2001 Volvo Transmission Problem
By ararat

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had 3 2001 xc 70's, now I'm down to 1 and I have a 2001 V70 T5. They all have had the same problem- TRANSMISSION....I think somebody should start a lawsuit against Volvo because anyone who has a 2001 Volvo has a transmission problem. I've tried everything to fix the problem...nothing works. The only thing that would help is buying a whole new transmission.

good safe car
By blackie

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have owned Volvo 240s since 1991 when I decided Honda Civics were not safe enough. My reasoning came from the junk yard. I would look at the cars there and ask did the occupants become seriously injured or possibly killed? When I looked at Volvo's, the answer was no. Along comes 2008, we decide to modernize, we buy a new Nissan Versa sedan, side airbags, front airbags, the works. My wife was rear ended while she was 15mph, the other driver 50mph, both the other drivers Nissan Sentra and my wifes's car totaled by the insurance companies. both parties injured moderately. Versa did ok but if she had been in the V70 I believe she would have been injured little, if at all. Volvo for life!

Safety! I feel confident seeing her drive off that she will be safe.

None, my wife loves her 27000 mile 2001 v70t and the kids love the sunroof.

My First and Last Volvo
By volvo_disappointment

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When I was looking for a car, I had four criteria: safety, reliability, longevity, and environmental impact. Volvo rated well in all categories. This car has been nothing but a disappointment and money pit. Just a short list of previous problems: throttle module, fan, fuel system. Now, the heating is out and the transmission needs to be replaced, to the tune of $5K. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. The car was great to drive for the first two years, and then it seemed to fall apart in spite of being well cared for. I resent Volvo. (Thanks, Ford.) By contrast, my 2002 VW has more miles on it and has required no repairs, just maintenance. It's VW for me from now on.

Going Strong at 160K
By drh

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Now at 160K with no problems. New tires and preventive care is all this volvo has asked for 8 years. Very fun and comfortable ride with the 2.4turbo and luxury cabin. Besides family of five chores and vacations, we take this volvo antiquing and regularly treat it like a truck. On the highway we get 28-30mpg on regular grade fuel.

Quick acceleration with turbo and good gas mileage. Easy to check fluids.

More legroom in back.