2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Quirky transmission
By Ted on 11/28/07 16:30 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We have owned the vehicle for about 10 months (15k miles)and the only money we spent was on front end work which is typical for this car for 100k. Every once in a while when we step on the gas pedal the RPMS jump from about 2000 to 4-5000 (30-40mph). We have the latest software updates and the Volvo mechanic could not find anything wrong. Does anybody have this problem and what did you find out about it? Overall, a good vehicle. Thanks.

Stylish, Clever, Fun, Safe
By BHL220 on 09/10/07 01:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my V70 2.4 Turbo. The clever packaging, stylish looks, great handling and fun to drive factor. Not to forget that I'm not embarrassed to drive a wagon since it looks sporty and more upscale than most grocery getters. Reliability? Running great at 131K w/ some problems along the way. But c'mon, this is no Honda/Yota. My Benz that cost 2x as much has 2x the issues and my new BMW has been in the shop more than not, and like my V70, is a first year production model. If reliability is top priority over form, fun and function then go Japanese. Maintain these cars and they last forever, not without faults though. Swede love.

Shock and Awe.
By skipb on 08/31/07 16:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has ruined our brand loyalty to Volvo (having previously owned and been very happy with an 84 DL wagon, an 84 GL sedan, an 88 740 wagon, a 93 850 sedan, and a 97 850R sedan), and as a result we probably will not be buying another. We have already spent well over 5K replacing items that should never need replacing (the radiator, 4 or 5 control modules, etc.), and now we are facing a 5K transmission replacement at 94K miles. The dealer is sympatheic, as is Volvo of America, but is otherwise totally unresponsive. It's a shame, but it's time for us to explore another brand.

Love it, hate it, love it, hate it
By A driver in East TN on 08/23/07 08:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first non-Honda/Acura vehicle, and likely my last. I bought it used less than 3 years ago, and since then it seems as though something or another is constantly breaking: ABS module ($900); outside temperature sensor; turbo boost sensor; body and interior hardware; a/c blower; fuses blowing; you name it. I love the comfort, the looks and the cargo room, but it's wearing me out.

Too bad
By Allison on 08/19/07 15:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car because my husband has always had Volvos. Well he'd never had one like this! We've had major repairs that have cost big money. From the turbo clip, to the gas cover, to a transmission update ($1400!) which didn't fix the problem. We were just told the transmission is about to go so we have to get out from under this money pit. In a little over a year we have spent close to $3000. It looks like 60,000 is the magic mileage for this Volvo. Once you hit that, be prepared to have it in the shop every three months.

Buying Trouble
By Mr. & Mrs. K on 07/30/07 14:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

With a family, household and business to run, we encounter enough trouble and stress without having to pay a premium car price for more. Please save yourself time, money and mental health and buy some other car. We've had two software updates covered by the recall (I say covered by the recall in that we did not have to pay for the software update, but no one reimbursed us for time, trouble, babysitters, etc). We've spent $1000 on the abs module and more in just the 2.5 years we've owned the car. We're going today to trade it in on something else. I've had cars that cost half the price of the Volvo that ran much better and provided much fewer headaches.

Happy Days
By Southern Car Owner on 07/16/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Today is the happiest day of our lives with our Volvo - it's trade-in day. This car has been in the shop so many times - bulbs, seat motors, transmissions, electronics, power window lifts, rear hatch, batteries, alternators, voltage regulors, and most recently 1,100 climate control module. Our favorite was at 70 mph the engine fault sensor shut down the car completely - real hazard! Only good thing on this entire car is the engine which has given us the least amount of problems.

The Truth about the 2001 Volvo V70XC!
By brent g on 07/09/07 15:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in 2003 and the transmission was replaced under warranty. I was told by a tech that all the 2001s had a software problem that if it wasn't fixed in time would cause permanent damage. Over the history of this car the throttlebody, radiator & fan, sensors and mounts were all replaced under warranty. Make sure these repairs are done or that you have a warranty! I currently have 120k miles on the car and running well. I was recently hit (drvrs frnt) by a teen boy who ran a red light but slowed to about 20mph. My wife and 3 kids were in the car. The damage to the car was literally unidentifiable except for a slight hood adj that was made in a few minutes. What more can I say.

Great Family Car
By tracprod on 05/05/07 12:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Wouldn't recommend this non-turbo version. It is underpowered if you do a lot of travelling. Good city/short mileage car. Solid, no problems. Most room for a wagon you'll find.

Our V70 saved my husband's life
By mandagabby on 04/17/07 12:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My husband totaled our V70 last week. He hit an interstate wall at 70 mph after being clipped by a tractor trailer. He was rushed to the hospital but walked away five hours later with a bad seat belt bruise and a cut from his sunglasses. The car did not survive and I've already bought a new Volvo to replace it. We bought this car at 5 yo and 65000 miles. Got a great deal, local family had all the service records. Besides being in the lightbulb of the month club, there was one issue with the throttle module that was replaced under warranty and never acted up again. We had the car for 12000 miles and only had to change the oil changed and replace two light bulbs. Man, do I miss that car!