Used 2001 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo V70

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Excellent Car!!! Safety First!
By Volvo V70 -Excellent

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I am surprised at reading some negative reviews. My Volvo has been great without any of the problems mentioned. Its great on gas mileage, has a reliable engine and transmission and most importantly it is safe for my kids. We have made long trips and our Volvo has been a delight. Volvo forever!

Favorite Features

Design, interior, exterior. Good Gas mileage.

Often Love This Car
By Margaret Treat

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Have owned this since new. I enjoy the comfort of the ride and the saftey features. The car has never broken down on me. I travel cross country alone and even camp in it. It's solid. I have had to replace the top motor mount, mass air flow, lots of headlight and tail light bulbs, the electronic throttle and the temp sensor for the heater. But the car has 150,000 miles on it. The motor doesn't use a drop of oil. I have used Mobile 1 in it since break in. The car is amazing on icy and snow packed roads. I often say I love the car and have kept it longer than my cars in the past. But repairs are expensive and I hate the dealership. With no other dealership close, I would not buy another one.

Favorite Features

Seats and leg room. Car height= easy entry and exit, not top heavy. Handles well in high wind conditions. Long enough to sleep in back. Comfort for 4 or 5 people and room for luggage. Decent gas mileage. Excellent engine, lots of power. Starts in below zero weather easily. Solid body.

Suggested Improvements

Have the Swedes build it again. I owned a Volvo back in 1970. Amazing car. Still decent, but not as durable suspension, and electrical as the old ones.

8th volvo and last volvo, sadly.
By gav

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The cup holders are handy whilst waiting for the tow truck! Gearbox has new surprises every time you drive it. ETM is an affront to our collective dignity, electrics are poor, fuel system must have been designed at Lada by the accounts lady after a bit night on the Stolle! Maintenance costs are quite severe and plentiful. After 7 previous volvos all with outstanding reliability, function and longevity it saddens me that a company could transmogrify into producing such a failure of a vehicle. When not being repaired or diagnosed, it's fast and safe with ample room and functionality, but it now drains my wallet, energy and faith in what i considered to be the best manufactured vehicles ever.

Favorite Features

7 seats, stereo, brakes, ergonomics and safety.

I love this car!
By Annie

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Presently at 93,000 miles. Yes I have had the odd quirky issue, but the only major item was a radiator replacement. Transmission has been fine and 'baby' runs quite well. I use my wagon to transport mulch, stone, plants in the summer and she's always been a jewel. I love this wagon and plan on keeping for a very very long time.

Favorite Features

Safety!!! Creature comforts: Heated seats are wonderful. Radio excellent. Whole passenger compartment was / is well designed.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot start the car, lock it, and leave it running in the driveway to warm up during winter. If I am not in the seat while the car is running, the doors will not lock. Talked to Volvo dealership about this, there is no way around.

good car
By john

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought used in Sept 2008 with 27000 miles, now is 37000. I change the oil and maintain myself. Fairly easy to work on, best to have code reader, but have not needed yet. Light bulbs here and there needing replacement, pretty easy to do. Japanese Aisen Warner transmission requires special mobil synthetic oil and dipstick should be checked regularly, it is in an awkward location, way low on drivers side. Only use Full synthetic oils, including brake fluid. If you do I would expect 200000 miles of good value, as our 25 year old volvo 240s. We love this car. Have not added any as trans. fluid is pink. Very good highway car.

Favorite Features

Safety and comfort

Suggested Improvements

None