2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Long Term Owner
By Mike Gibbons on 08/31/08 06:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Contrary to the various negative reviews, my Volvo XC has been a joy to own! Very comfortable, safe, great AWD in the snow - and a joy to drive! Repairs have been minimal over my 7 years of ownership.

What Happened to Volvo quality?
By theodora Watts on 08/13/08 13:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

4th Volvo, nothing but problems with major systems on this one. Exorbitant repair costs. They want to replace catalytic converter, A/C, transmission, seat belt, clogged filter to the tune of $10,000. My Ford Taurus lasted much longer for 1/3 the purchase price. Last Volvo for me.

One tough car
By Speef on 07/22/08 21:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned many Volvos, this 2001 is a T5. It's been as tough as nails. I've repeatedly towed my 4k lbs boat, it's been driven hard and it never gave up on me. It's got 135k miles on the clock and going strong.

$1000 repair every visit.
By JimR on 07/02/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Get the extended warranty! Well I just received the call from the dealership that my Volvo needs a new transmission ($4,500). Since the car is worth between $5-$6K that’s it. The car was a great car to drive. The car just was not reliable. After about 50-60K miles, every trip to the dealer was another $1K bill. I’m not talking consumables here but things that have never broken on any car I have ever owned. (a radio that would change stations every time the car hit a bump or the driver window that fell out of its track twice -after being fixed). There is nothing like driving a $40K car with duct tape holding your window up. My wife hates this car.

2001 V70 Wagon
By Dave on 06/14/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My vehicle has the standard five cyl. non turbo engine. I purchased the car new. I really like this car. It is stylish, it's been reliable, and it gets good gas economy for its size. It runs very well on mid-grad gasoline, runs very smoothly on premium, and runs OK on regular (no pinging, but much less zip). The car is heavy, so acceleration is not the best but is adequate. Get the turbo if you want to take off in a hurry. My biggest complaint is the lack of Volvo dealers available to service the car. Also,there are some high tech features that become expensive to fix. Even small items are expensive as the parts sources are limited, making trim and accessories expensive.

Stay away!
By Lemon on 04/06/08 09:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this car one year ago with 61k miles and have had nothing but problems. It has left me stranded 5 times in the past four months! Very very comfortable to wait for the tow truck in. Every time we get in this car something goes wrong. We are aware of at least $5000 (no exaggerating!) worth of problems with this car. Absolutely the worst car I've ever owned. We purchased a Volvo for safety and reliability...but stalling at 70mph on the highway with two small children in the dark negates any safety features of this tank. Stay away! We take delivery on our next car (not a Volvo!) tomorrow. Can't wait to get rid of this bomb!

Safe but unreliable.
By sunny2 on 02/04/08 14:33 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car new. It was a very comfortable car and drove smoothly for a couple of years. After 2 years and 13k miles, transmission problems arose. Transmission problem temporarily fixed with some software upgrades. However, at 56k miles, the car jolts between gears and it needs an entire new transmission. I have read this is a problem with this model. Volvo NA claims no responsibility and that the car is simply past warranty. The company hung up on me! Transmission failure has resulted in numerous other problems with engine mounts and suspension. This vehicle has serious mechanical problems. Beware.

Great fun to drive
By cleerssen on 01/30/08 20:29 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellent driving machine, little wacky on the electrical and ETM but solid car all told. Good gas mileage for 245hp.

Money Pit!
By pdxfamily on 01/29/08 13:20 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased this wagon just before the arrival of our 3rd child. I wanted something safe and reliable. Every 6 months we're at the shop with an EXPENSIVE fix. The worst problem was the throttle body (it was eventually recalled and we were reimbursed). The car surged and stalled and you never knew when you pulled out into an intersection if the car would hesitate and threaten to stall. Each time I pay for an expensive fix, I decide to just keep the darn thing. Then, of course, another huge repair 6 months later. The most recent problem, a vibration in right front area, is apparently an axle. Last one for me - my husband's toyota costs a whopping $150/year for service/maintenance. Done with Volvo!

Transmission Issues
By Tracy on 01/07/08 09:26 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall experience has been very good until recently when the RPM would race to peak levels while driving. Initial repair shop found nothing wrong. Towed car to dealer and they advised the transmission needed replacement to the tune of $3,800. I would expect this from a lower end vehicle, but not from a Volvo.